COMMONWEALTH GAMES INCLUDES SHOOTING FOR 2026

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

Cliff Austen

COMMONWEALTH GAMES INCLUDES SHOOTING FOR 2026

#1 Postby Cliff Austen » Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:34 pm

The International Shooting Sport Federation (ISSF) received confirmation that Shooting’s expression of interest (EOI) had been successful and that Clay Target (Trap), 10m Air Pistol, 10m Air Rifle (Small-Bore) and Para Shooting would be included in the competition program for Victoria 2026. Unfortunately, the proposed Full-Bore event could not be accommodated despite being part of Shooting’s EOI.

Note no Full Bore??????????????????????????????????
Cheers
Cliff

cheech

Re: COMMONWEALTH GAMES INCLUDES SHOOTING FOR 2026

#2 Postby cheech » Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:11 pm

Sadly unfortunate , excuse of lacking venue is a bit harsh as we all know we have the ranges and ET technology . Would’ve been good to include Fclass as well I thought . Obviously fullbore just not important discipline for them .

Hahndorf 1874

#3 Postby Hahndorf 1874 » Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:45 pm

Note no rapid fire pistol,free pistol,3 P .22 rimfire! Matches,seems they wish to do away with live fire except for shotgun!!

dazza284

#4 Postby dazza284 » Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:50 pm

Won't be long and it will be all laser .
Totally pointless

AlanF

#5 Postby AlanF » Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:44 am

Its a sad day for TR - it was probably the most prestigious event for them. The World Championships however have a higher standard of competition and being a standalone event they will only ever be held where the host country is willing and able to provide the infrastructure and support. I believe the NRAA should put a greater emphasis on the World Championships as the pinnacle of achievement and treat the Commonwealth Games as an occasional bonus for TR.

bobped

#6 Postby bobped » Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:19 am

Alan - I agree in some ways with your comments about the World Championships. They are a great, important and prestigious event. However I do lament the demise of Fullbore shooting from the Commonwealth Games. During my time as a Target Rifle Shooter it was the absolute pinnacle of achievement to be chosen to represent Australia at the Commonwealth Games. I nearly did as a reserve and its something I'm proud of.
What worries me more are two things.
It probably will be the final nail in the coffin for Fullbore shooting at the Comm. Games. In the past it helped with the perception Governments and the general public had about shooting. It helped the status of Target Rifle Shooting (and I include F Class) by being able to say it was included in the Commonwealth Games and gave recognition and legitimacy to the sport. Australia makes much more fuss about the Comm. Games than a World Championship.

The second is the Wellsford Range at Bendigo. The continued silence about the range re-opening worries me. We've tried to think of another range that could put up the required 20-25 targets in Victoria, with no answer. What are the odds of getting a Government Grant of half a million dollars (or more) to build another venue like Wellsford?
Perhaps there may never be a future Kings Prize meeting in Victoria? I hope not and I hope the VRA and the NRAA are working hard to solve it.

AlanF

#7 Postby AlanF » Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:55 am

bobped wrote:Alan - I agree in some ways with your comments about the World Championships. They are a great, important and prestigious event. However I do lament the demise of Fullbore shooting from the Commonwealth Games. During my time as a Target Rifle Shooter it was the absolute pinnacle of achievement to be chosen to represent Australia at the Commonwealth Games. I nearly did as a reserve and its something I'm proud of.
What worries me more are two things.
It probably will be the final nail in the coffin for Fullbore shooting at the Comm. Games. In the past it helped with the perception Governments and the general public had about shooting. It helped the status of Target Rifle Shooting (and I include F Class) by being able to say it was included in the Commonwealth Games and gave recognition and legitimacy to the sport. Australia makes much more fuss about the Comm. Games than a World Championship.

The second is the Wellsford Range at Bendigo. The continued silence about the range re-opening worries me. We've tried to think of another range that could put up the required 20-25 targets in Victoria, with no answer. What are the odds of getting a Government Grant of half a million dollars (or more) to build another venue like Wellsford?
Perhaps there may never be a future Kings Prize meeting in Victoria? I hope not and I hope the VRA and the NRAA are working hard to solve it.

I share both of your concerns Bob. In particular the Wellsford issue is I assume the main reason for the Comm Games decision. I hadn't realised how much of concern the future of Wellsford is.

Barry Davies

#8 Postby Barry Davies » Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:12 pm

This may be a bit off topic but probably related. There is much speculation concerning Wellsford be it correct it otherwise. Maybe it's time the members were fully informed of what is going on concerning the closure of the range.

AlanF

#9 Postby AlanF » Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:30 pm

Barry Davies wrote:This may be a bit off topic but probably related. There is much speculation concerning Wellsford be it correct it otherwise. Maybe it's time the members were fully informed of what is going on concerning the closure of the range.

Yes I had the impression that there was a minor issue that was taking longer than expected to work through.

Redhawk

#10 Postby Redhawk » Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:17 pm

Wow….. Wellsford is closed? Temporarily or permanently?

saum2

#11 Postby saum2 » Fri Oct 07, 2022 7:43 am

relax...... it's just a minor administration thing... opening again soon and had no bearing on the Comm games outcome.

bobped

#12 Postby bobped » Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:17 am

Minor Administration thing?
The VRA forgot to renew the lease on the range fallout area of their own range. The range where they hold their largest and most important event?
Lets hope it was a minor hiccup and the problem is fixed before some Developer spots a large block of land that might be available and begins to put pressure on various authorities to get rid of those nasty shooting people.
That might be far fetched but I've seen it happen to at least 15 ranges around Australia.
Barry -- any gossip about the speculation?

Barry Davies

#13 Postby Barry Davies » Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:54 am

Some. The airport got a mention.

saum2

#14 Postby saum2 » Fri Oct 07, 2022 9:29 am

Barry Davies wrote:This may be a bit off topic but probably related. There is much speculation concerning Wellsford be it correct it otherwise. Maybe it's time the members were fully informed of what is going on concerning the closure of the range.

Members who attended the recent VRA AGM were fully informed of what took place and the action to remedy.

Barry Davies

#15 Postby Barry Davies » Fri Oct 07, 2022 9:39 am

Does one have to attend the AGM to be fully informed?

Return to “General Forum”