ACT Authorized Instructor - Canberra Queens

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

Weairy

ACT Authorized Instructor - Canberra Queens

#1 Postby Weairy » Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:07 pm

Hi all,

Hoping against all odds that someone might be able to help me.

My partner is hoping to shoot at Canberra Queens. She’s only a new shooter and hasn’t gotten her license yet. This means she needs to be observed by an ACT authorised instructor to be able to shoot.

Would anyone have any contacts that might be an ACT Authorised Instructor and possibly attending the Queens?
Josh Weaire
Nagambie R.C.
I'm not Craig, if you want to contact him, email on c.weaire@bigpond.com

jasmay

Re: ACT Authorized Instructor - Canberra Queens

#2 Postby jasmay » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:10 pm

That's a new one, most states, as long as the person supervising is a licensed shooter you are good to go.

Weairy

#3 Postby Weairy » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:14 pm

Apparently not the case in the ACT, have to be an authorised instructor, which sucks.

Straight from ACT police site:
Under the Firearms Act 1996, section 14(2), a person who does not have a firearms licence may use a firearm on a shooting range to receive instruction in the use of a firearm. The person must be under the immediate supervision of an authorised instructo
Josh Weaire
Nagambie R.C.

GrahamW

#4 Postby GrahamW » Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:10 pm

Authorised instructor or licensed shooter, I think is a moot point.

AFAIK, to shoot in a Queens you need to hold a firearms license and other than a teams shoot cannot be coached.

Is this not the case :?:

[edit]
Okay, after reading through the relevant sections of both the ACT Act and the NSW Act regarding Authorised Instructors they both seem to be very much the same.

This is my understanding of it...

1: An Authorised Instructor, for the purpose of someone wishing to try out target shooting on a range is anyone licensed for the same category firearm and is authorised by a range official to be said instructor.

2: An Authorised Instructor, for the purpose of conducting a Firearms Safety Training course must be an Authorised Safety Training instructor, authorised by the relevant state/territory firearms registry.

All the same, as I stated above, I'm pretty sure this is irrelevant under the NRAA rules for competing in a Queens or OPM.
:|

Tim L

#5 Postby Tim L » Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:41 pm

GrahamW wrote:Authorised instructor or licensed shooter, I think is a moot point.

AFAIK, to shoot in a Queens you need to hold a firearms license and other than a teams shoot cannot be coached.

As strange as it may seem, no, that's not correct.
To shoot in Queens you need to be a member of the NRAA, via State and club membership. There is no licence requirement for any of that.
You can shoot under a 3a or 33a in QLD, (which is authority to posess a weapon) or there equivelent in other States.
Being directly supervised is not the same as being coached, but the ACT has a strange one there. I'd say "being under instruction" is being directly supervised rathet than being coached.

GrahamW

#6 Postby GrahamW » Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:59 pm

Tim L wrote:
GrahamW wrote:Authorised instructor or licensed shooter, I think is a moot point.

As strange as it may seem, no, that's not correct.
To shoot in Queens you need to be a member of the NRAA, via State and club membership. There is no licence requirement for any of that.
You can shoot under a 3a or 33a in QLD, (which is authority to posess a weapon) or there equivelent in other States.
Being directly supervised is not the same as being coached, but the ACT has a strange one there. I'd say "being under instruction" is being directly supervised rathet than being coached.

Ahhh, I was adding to my post above while you posted this, thought I had plenty of time this late at night 8-/

Anyway that is interesting, all entry forms I've seen or filled in for both Queens and OPMs have asked for a firearms license number as well as NRAA/State SID.
I know the NSWRA membership application form also asks for a firearms license number, not sure on other states/territories...

Maybe a Catch 22 situation??

:?: :D

[edit]
On a side note......
Tim L wrote:You can shoot under a 3a or 33a in QLD, (which is authority to posess a weapon) or there equivelent in other States.

Not sure what a 3a or 33a is and not keen to read the QLD legislation at this time but if their wording is "authority to possess a weapon", I think they should seriously consider changing it.

In this increasingly PC environment, I would never refer to a target rifle as a weapon (or most other domestic use firearms for that matter) and would hope that our controlling authorities wouldn't either.

Just my thoughts... :)

Tim L

#7 Postby Tim L » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:54 am

Yeah, I hear you but in QLD we have weapons licences not firearms licences! If you do want to have a read you'll be searching for the Weapons Act and Regs.

A form 3a or 33a is a form on which the the shooter puts their details, says they aren't a crook, violent offender havent bee refused a licence etc. Provides proof of ID and the RO signs. Basically it's a form that allows a non shooter to have a go.

I've yet to read anything in SSRs that says a shooter needs to be licenced to entre Queens.

ben_g

#8 Postby ben_g » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:53 pm

Drop them an email

I’m sure Shaun or another CRC member will be able to advise.

canberrarifleclub@outlook.com

Weairy

#9 Postby Weairy » Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:09 pm

ben_g wrote:Drop them an email

I’m sure Shaun or another CRC member will be able to advise.

canberrarifleclub@outlook.com

Have spoken with Dean and both of their Authorised Instructors are shooting the Queens and not willing to oversee her (for obvious reasons - they're there to shoot and run the event). That was my first point of call, so hence why I'm reaching to the wider community.
Last edited by Weairy on Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Josh Weaire
Nagambie R.C.

bruce moulds

#10 Postby bruce moulds » Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:59 pm

well that is good for expanding the sport.
here in s.a. you can"t go in the queens if you are not an nra member.
a nice insular way to keep the sport smaller as well.
bruce.
"SUCH IS LIFE" Edward Kelly 11 nov 1880
http://youtu.be/YRaRCCZjdTM

pfc15

#11 Postby pfc15 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:18 pm

Josh, this may come as a surprise, but running a Queens is a long and tiresome business and we dont have the capacity noting we have no paid staff and we have to do what the law requires (we have to write and nominate instructors to the AFP). I’ll tell you what - I’ll supervise your girlfriend if you come and do my jobs. We Start Sunday morning ie in a few days and ill be taking money, running the bar till late and emptying bins. You’ll need to run to the shops between shoots to get beer, toilet paper and other stuff. If your really lucky the toilet will block up too - so bring gloves (some shooters do big poos.....) and probably clean them or fix a broken tap. There is also a few runs to the bank and a few general whinges you will need to manage. Sorry forgot the big ones - can you use the NRAA score system and be the MC? I forgot moving targets/monitors and scoreboards.... It’s a Deal right? See you Sunday at 8am? Regards Piers (you’ll be able to pick me)

Weairy

#12 Postby Weairy » Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:12 pm

Wasn’t meant to imply the CRC aren’t helping me out or that the AIs weren’t helpful; they’ve got their own stuff to worry about on the day and I fully accept that.
Last edited by Weairy on Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Josh Weaire
Nagambie R.C.

Tim N

#13 Postby Tim N » Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:31 pm

Josh,
I’m assuming you have a shooters license.
Maybe you could ask if you could supervise her shooting?
We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training. Archilochos 680-645 BC

Weairy

#14 Postby Weairy » Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:34 pm

Tim N wrote:Josh,
I’m assuming you have a shooters license.
Maybe you could ask if you could supervise her shooting?

Unfortunately not. Spoke to ACT police today about it (who I WILL say were on the less than informative side). It’s a whole process to register as an instructor etc and me having a license doesn’t help there.
Josh Weaire
Nagambie R.C.

Trevor Rhodes

#15 Postby Trevor Rhodes » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:20 pm

pfc15 wrote:Josh, this may come as a surprise, but running a Queens is a long and tiresome business and we dont have the capacity noting we have no paid staff and we have to do what the law requires (we have to write and nominate instructors to the AFP). I’ll tell you what - I’ll supervise your girlfriend if you come and do my jobs. We Start Sunday morning ie in a few days and ill be taking money, running the bar till late and emptying bins. You’ll need to run to the shops between shoots to get beer, toilet paper and other stuff. If your really lucky the toilet will block up too - so bring gloves (some shooters do big poos.....) and probably clean them or fix a broken tap. There is also a few runs to the bank and a few general whinges you will need to manage. Sorry forgot the big ones - can you use the NRAA score system and be the MC? I forgot moving targets/monitors and scoreboards.... It’s a Deal right? See you Sunday at 8am? Regards Piers (you’ll be able to pick me)

Would a state range officer be qualified as a instructor?

Return to “General Forum”