NRAA QUEENS / Australian Championships

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

Message
Author
Wingnut
Posts: 31
Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:34 pm
Location: Adelaide

NRAA QUEENS / Australian Championships

#1 Postby Wingnut » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:44 am

I apologise in advance if what I am about to question makes your head hurt, triggers you or forces you to seek a safe space.

The NRAA Queens / Australian Championships. Why is it only shot at Belmont? isn't the NRAA a national body? Don't we have state ranges all over the country which could host this event? Why doesn't the NRAA queens move from state to state so that everyone, in every state, gets a chance to compete at a NRAA Queens and also have the home ground advantage. surely this would mean the top shooter, with the most talent, would win every year as opposed to those who have an intimate knowledge of the Belmont facilities and nuances.

Andrew

jasmay
Posts: 1084
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:26 pm

Re: NRAA QUEENS / Australian Championships

#2 Postby jasmay » Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:35 pm

As far as not moving I cannot answer.

It is very regularly won by interstate or non-Belmont shooters, so you’ve got that part very wrong.

Pommy Chris
Posts: 348
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:05 pm

Re: NRAA QUEENS / Australian Championships

#3 Postby Pommy Chris » Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:57 pm

jasmay wrote:As far as not moving I cannot answer.

It is very regularly won by interstate or non-Belmont shooters, so you’ve got that part very wrong.

I won in Lower Light you won in Western Aus, I think home range advantage is less than people think.
Chris

Barry Davies
Posts: 1257
Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:11 pm

Re: NRAA QUEENS / Australian Championships

#4 Postby Barry Davies » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:01 am

This subject will die in the water because the championships are firmly rooted in Brisbane and not likely to be moved.
Canberra was the ideal venue and central to all eastern states and SA where the majority of entries come from.
Numbers attending are in steady decline and have been since 2013, but I would wager the alarm bells have not yet been heard.
Barry

jasmay
Posts: 1084
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:26 pm

Re: NRAA QUEENS / Australian Championships

#5 Postby jasmay » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:12 am

Barry Davies wrote:This subject will die in the water because the championships are firmly rooted in Brisbane and not likely to be moved.
Canberra was the ideal venue and central to all eastern states and SA where the majority of entries come from.
Numbers attending are in steady decline and have been since 2013, but I would wager the alarm bells have not yet been heard.
Barry


Is there a state queens where numbers are growing?

Matt P
Posts: 1369
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:22 pm

Re: NRAA QUEENS / Australian Championships

#6 Postby Matt P » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:19 am

IMO Belmont is the right place, it's easy to fly into if needed, it has 1000 yards and the facility is the best in Australia.
I wouldn't support a move to another State, if ACT had a usable 1000 yard/900m mound it would be my other option.
Matt P

Quick
Posts: 1005
Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:09 pm
Location: Yanchep, Western Australia
Contact:

Re: NRAA QUEENS / Australian Championships

#7 Postby Quick » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:33 am

Belmont is also great for WA guys. Easy to go from airport to the range without a lot of extra expense. Keep it there.
Shaun aka 'Quick'
Yanchep, Western Australia

308 Win F/TR & F-S
7mm F-Open Shooter.

Barry Davies
Posts: 1257
Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:11 pm

Re: NRAA QUEENS / Australian Championships

#8 Postby Barry Davies » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:45 am

jasmay wrote:
Barry Davies wrote:This subject will die in the water because the championships are firmly rooted in Brisbane and not likely to be moved.
Canberra was the ideal venue and central to all eastern states and SA where the majority of entries come from.
Numbers attending are in steady decline and have been since 2013, but I would wager the alarm bells have not yet been heard.
Barry


Is there a state queens where numbers are growing?


All state Queens are generally in decline.

jasmay
Posts: 1084
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:26 pm

Re: NRAA QUEENS / Australian Championships

#9 Postby jasmay » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:52 am

Belmont also has a Caravan Park, dorm, cottage and motel room accommodation, a zero range open all the time. I do see it as the premier location, but if other State ranges could accommodate I would support seeing it move.

It’s a topic worth discussing, and if range minimum guidelines were set out for a National comp it could invigorate the other states to bring themselves up to a standard if they didn’t already meet them.

bruce moulds
Posts: 2697
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2005 4:07 pm

Re: NRAA QUEENS / Australian Championships

#10 Postby bruce moulds » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:56 am

from the other end of the equation, which states would want a national queens?
could combine with their state queens.
bruce.
"SUCH IS LIFE" Edward Kelly 11 nov 1880
http://youtu.be/YRaRCCZjdTM

Wingnut
Posts: 31
Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:34 pm
Location: Adelaide

Re: NRAA QUEENS / Australian Championships

#11 Postby Wingnut » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:50 pm

From my perspective. Belmont might well have a lot more going for it in regards to facilities and the like, but it’s an expensive proposition for me, both time wise and financially to attend. Admittedly our sport is not cheap by any stretch, but how many more shooters would attend if it was held once every seven years in their state? Costs of travel, other transport costs, time off work, organising kids and families to attend, accomodation, etc etc are all factors that we don’t often consider. Improvement of other ranges will happen in time if they have a reason to do it. This might just give them one. It also makes it a truly “Australian” competition and something we can promote with the assistance of government and local businesses.

RDavies
Posts: 2061
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:23 pm
Location: Singleton NSW

Re: NRAA QUEENS / Australian Championships

#12 Postby RDavies » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:24 pm

Barry Davies wrote:
jasmay wrote:
Barry Davies wrote:This subject will die in the water because the championships are firmly rooted in Brisbane and not likely to be moved.
Canberra was the ideal venue and central to all eastern states and SA where the majority of entries come from.
Numbers attending are in steady decline and have been since 2013, but I would wager the alarm bells have not yet been heard.
Barry


Is there a state queens where numbers are growing?


All state Queens are generally in decline.

Maybe in overall numbers. Just curious though how numbers are going in each state for F class over the last few years?

jasmay
Posts: 1084
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:26 pm

Re: NRAA QUEENS / Australian Championships

#13 Postby jasmay » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:29 pm

Wingnut, what is your local range?

Wingnut
Posts: 31
Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:34 pm
Location: Adelaide

Re: NRAA QUEENS / Australian Championships

#14 Postby Wingnut » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:25 pm

I’m in SA. Lower Light is the range I use.

bruce moulds
Posts: 2697
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2005 4:07 pm

Re: NRAA QUEENS / Australian Championships

#15 Postby bruce moulds » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:16 pm

living in sa and going to sara queens will cost over $1000.00.
going interstate will cost more.
bruce.
"SUCH IS LIFE" Edward Kelly 11 nov 1880

http://youtu.be/YRaRCCZjdTM


Return to “General Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests