Legal stuff and transportation.

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

superx10

Legal stuff and transportation.

#1 Postby superx10 » Sun May 10, 2020 12:32 pm

Hi
The laws governing the transportation of firearms in NSW seems not very clear compared to say QLD were it states that they must be locked in the boot or in a lockable box attached to the vehicle.
Is anyone able to share some information on the transportation of rifles in NSW?
Thanks in Advance

mike H

Re: Legal stuff and transportation.

#2 Postby mike H » Sun May 10, 2020 1:26 pm

This is not legal advice,as I understand the requirements,it is the owners duty to secure their firearm as best they can when travelling.You could look at the NSW Firearms Registry for guidance.
What I do travelling to local shoots,is keep the firearm in a case or bag,covered with a rug so that the object is not easily identified as a firearm,I wouldn’t stop at a shop on the way unless a licenced shooter was in the vechicle to watch over it.
If going further when overnight stops are needed,the firearm is always in a locked box and then the box is locked and secured to the vehicle frame by solid chain or cable.The main idea is to show that you are doing your best to secure your firearm.

Wingnut

#3 Postby Wingnut » Sun May 10, 2020 2:17 pm

I'm not in NSW but a quick search of the firearms regulations came up with this. I appreciate you may not be commercially transporting a firearm but if you abide by the below requirements you should have all the bases covered.

147 Commercial transportation of firearms—prescribed safety requirements
For the purposes of section 56 of the Act, the following safety requirements are prescribed—
(a) the firearm must be stored in—
(i) a secured locked container secured to the vehicle, or
(ii) a locked compartment within the vehicle,
and must not be able to be seen while it is being conveyed,
(b) all reasonable precautions must be taken to ensure that the firearm is not lost or stolen while it is
being conveyed.

superx10

#4 Postby superx10 » Sun May 10, 2020 3:28 pm

Hi
Thanks, wingnut did that info come from NSW?

Mick_762

#5 Postby Mick_762 » Sun May 10, 2020 7:39 pm

Basically "out of sight out of mind".
I cross the borders regularly for hunting - locked gun case on the back seat under a blanket complies.
David Mickel
Darwin Rifle Club

Return to “General Forum”