Advice for a beginner

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

JustinKLP

Advice for a beginner

#1 Postby JustinKLP » Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:53 pm

Hi guys, My name is Justin and I’m keen to get into shooting F class in one form or another as I have a club within 30 minutes from my house. I’ve previously shot 22lr at a club level but am looking to make the jump to some longer ranges.

I am currently assembling a rifle to use, but at this stage I cannot justify building a dedicated F Class rig. I’m aware that this will involve making a few compromises in the process, but hopefully it will be good enough to start learning the skills of long range shooting.

At the moment I have purchased a MTD ESS chassis to take a Howa SA and I already have a Harris bipod and Vortex Viper 4-16x44 off another rifle.

My main question is which caliber I should be getting my barrelled action in and what implications this will have to whether I shoot F Open or F/TR and which class is more appropriate for a newcomer to the sport.

At this stage it will be either 308 or 6.5cm as both these are available from Howa in a 26” heavy barrel. I have shot a 308 in the past and have owned a 7mm-08 so am familiar the recoil, but I find the the “higher performance” of the 6.5cm attractive.

I will more than likely start with factory loads but have reloaded for a .222 and 7mm-08 in the past, so will more than likely do the same for this rifle.

I’m keen to get started with the equipment that I’ve already got and will more than likely purchase more F class specific items along the way.

Keen to hear your thoughts, thanks.

Weairy

Re: Advice for a beginner

#2 Postby Weairy » Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:12 pm

Welcome to the game Justin.

308W is by far the most common caliber, and would put you in either F/TR or F-Standard, giving you a pretty broad spectrum of competition. F/Std and F/TR are restricted to either 223 or 308. 6.5CM would put you in F/Open and would probably be ok at a club level, but at open prize meetings and competitions, the game is pretty tied up with 7SAUM/284s at the moment. On a good day, I'm sure the 6.5CM will compete, but the rest of the gear would be holding you back. And unfortunately, F-Open is where the big bucks are in rests, scopes and other equipment.

Have a look at the rules on Sporting/Hunter Class. If you're using something like a Howa on a Harris Bipod, you're quite likely eligible to shoot it. It would be dependent on whether your local club offers this class or not, but definitely worth looking into.

Reloading is definitely your best friend in this game. Factory loads will probably keep you in it in Sporting/Hunter, but when you start playing F-Std or F/TR, you're going to need to hand-load for best performance. Factory ammo will only carry you so far.

Other than that, get out there, learn to read the flags and mirage and see what the other guys out there are doing. You'll fast learn what you need to do to get in the mix. Getting in the groove and working out what the wind does to your shots in the biggest key to competing.

This forum is a wealth of information and many of the guys here have been shooting for decades. Keep asking questions and I'm sure you'll find some great answers on here.
Josh Weaire
Nagambie R.C.
I'm not Craig, if you want to contact him, email on c.weaire@bigpond.com

williada

#3 Postby williada » Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:39 pm

I would like to think that all clubs can offer hunter class because the scoring is the same as TR. It is new and will grow very quickly because it is affordable. A few in our club are shooting it and only pull the big guns out for pennant. Getting the sense it will really take off.

JustinKLP

#4 Postby JustinKLP » Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:41 pm

Thanks for your replies.

Being forced to shoot F Open is the only thing that scares me off the 6.5cm.

The sporting/hunter category sounds exactly like what I’m after. Unfortunately I don’t believe my local club (Lilydale Rifle Club) offers it. Information is difficult to come by at the moment as the club is currently closed due to COVID19.

Seddo

#5 Postby Seddo » Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:15 am

A mate of mine shots hornady 6.5cm factory ammo and gets dub moa groups out to 900y. If you had a hunter class creedmoor you wouldnt have to reload from the start.
----------------------
Seddo

Moe City Rifle Club

bobbyaxe

#6 Postby bobbyaxe » Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:26 pm

In my first year and half of shooting F class, I used a Howa 6.5cm, with a wooden stock, harris bi-pod, and a NF SHV 4-14 scope.

You won't have an issue with the 6.5cm but you will need to reload to make it cost-effective.

The Howa rifle, won't win a prize meeting. But you will be able to hold you're own and learn to shoot well.

GSells

#7 Postby GSells » Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:55 pm

Starting really either cal would be great ! Main thing is what’s going to let you shoot more often and accurate ? Then work out from there. I started out with a howa .308 and f standard . F standard is a great class especially b grade . You should be able to shoot hunter class as it’s in the SSR’s maybe read up on em ?
Best wishes mate ! You will meet some of the best people and most friendly types in this game that keeps bringing one back !!
Regards Graham Sells Dalby/ Tara RC .

Return to “General Forum”