Travelling by plane

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

Billy308

Travelling by plane

#1 Postby Billy308 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:30 pm

Hi all,
Which domestic aussie airline is the most "shooter friendly"? When flying interstate, how much hassle is there travelling with firearms or ammo these days?
Bill

Matt P

#2 Postby Matt P » Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:42 pm

Bill
I always fly with Qantas, stick to regs and you wont have a drama, you need to contact Mr Laurie Willoughby and once you provide Lic No etc he will issue you a permit. The rifle needs to be in a lockable case and the bolt and ammo seperate and max of 5kg of ammo.
His e-mail address is lwilloughby@qantas.com.au
Matt P

Billy308

#3 Postby Billy308 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:33 pm

Thanks Matt,
I will be flying Virgin Blue, into Canberra. Booked a while back. Just haven't decided how to take rifle yet. Could send it by road with a mate, to avoid paying through the nose for excess baggage. 20kg for baggage and 7kg for carry-on doesn't allow for much in the way of gear.

Do you loosen the take-down screws? Do you take your scope through in hand luggage? I must say watching the baggage handlers loading the plane makes me a little edgy.
Bill

Matt P

#4 Postby Matt P » Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:48 pm

Bill
I take the rifle ready to shoot but my guncase is fairly heavy duty, they have tried to kill it several times, and bar a few dents have failed. I've never paid excess bagage (the last time I flew I had 63 kg) they're usally so worried about the rifle they forget about it. I would contact Virgin and see what you need to do.

Matt P

csg

#5 Postby csg » Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:34 pm

Just did a trip to Dubbo. Flew Virgin from Adelaide to Sydney and then flew Rex to Dubbo. Was able to check rifle right through from the Adelaide end. I have not ever had the rifle+case (11kg) weighed when travelling although they may well one day. Airport staff always friendly and seem more preoccupied with the paperwork/proceedures especially if you check in late! Amo and bolt locked in tool box in checked in baggage. Try and put heavier items in your hand luggage. Don't forget you licence and rego papers. I always call the airline after making a web booking and let them know about the firearm even though this is not a requirement.
Hope this is of help
C

Billy308

#6 Postby Billy308 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:04 pm

Just flew with Virgin, no worries. Wore team uniform which helped avoid excess weight. I flew with bare minimum gear and minimal clothes. 34kg all up. Sent ammo by road with driz-abone and mat, saved a few kilos.
Cheers Bill

Hilly-WA

#7 Postby Hilly-WA » Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:44 pm

Yeh -

I was going to ask the same question, whats the procedure for taking rifle and ammo on the plane.

Currently living in Broome and having to fly south to Perth to use my Omark 308 due to us not being able to use 308's on our local range only 5.56 or less

I always book online and normally fly with virgin

Do they normally ask for you to open the case at check in?

Return to “General Forum”