Is a T3x a T3x?

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

ReneZ

Is a T3x a T3x?

#1 Postby ReneZ » Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:09 pm

Hi All, maybe a strange question, but I see a multitude of rifle variations on sale of a similar type like a Tikka T3X (or REM 700 / Savage 110 etc.) and wonder if they are just variations on the same action or if the action also has differences. I think my basic question is if it is a good idea to buy the cheapest version and use it as a basis to improve upon or is there a benefit to start higher up in the series? Particularly as a lefty you can't always get what you want :-)
Thanks, Rene

PS I shoot F/TR in .308
Rene Z.

F/TR @ Inverell RSM Civilian RC

Gyro

Re: Is a T3x a T3x?

#2 Postby Gyro » Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:25 pm

Unusual question Rene because there's only one Tikka T3. The T3x has a more ergonomic handgrip, which is a changeable pistol grip to make it ergonomically better for a prone shooting position.

John23

#3 Postby John23 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:36 pm

That would be entirely what you want to do with the rifle I guess .

In regards to t3 or t3x the t3x is the later version of that action offered .
The action remains the same although it is fitted with a metal bolt shroud, the changeable grips as mentioned above and possibly a metal trigger guard ??

Then there is variates of that action such as the CTR , Sporter , ect ect
CTR has features such as a threaded muzzle , I believe double stack magazine, metal trigger guard .

In terms of out of the box accurately I believe you will find them much of much as the action , trigger , barrels are essentially all the same spec .

If you wanted to build off a Tikka action or wanted to shoot the sport for a bit and see if it is for you then the standard Tikka varmint would be more than enough .

From there you a can rebarrel , new stock, new trigger and so on .
By the time you finish you probably should have just purchased a nice low hour custom rifle that will be superior in many ways .

Same applies for Remington although there catalog is much more extensive ranging from the stock standard all the way to expensive rifles from the custom shop .

Once again full custom would be your friend

Gyro

#4 Postby Gyro » Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:46 pm

One things for sure : them Finns clearly know guns because the budget T3 works, hence huge success.

CamoWhamo

#5 Postby CamoWhamo » Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:49 pm

I guess the reason for your question is you are looking for a donor action as a base for a rifle build.

The core Tikka action is the same across all of the models. They are a one size fits all. The same action is used for .223 sized cartridges and right up to the Win Mags. There are 3 different bolt faces to cover .223, .308 and magnum sized rounds and the bolt travel is limited accordingly by different bolt stops. Just make sure your donor has the correct bolt face. Bolt stops are easily interchanged an available as aftermarket or genuine parts.

The other areas where there are some differences is the magazine and bottom metal of the stock. The standard magazine is a single stack polymer mag. They are all same external length but the short action mags have internal blocks to shorten them.
The CTR and tactical models use a 10rd double stack single feed mag and use a different bottom metal to accommodate the mag, so if you're planning to drop a barrelled action into a pre-fit stock then you will need to ensure you get the right combination (standard action/mag, or CTR/Tac A1).

And the other area of difference could be the trigger. Most will come with the single stage trigger which is ok as far as factory hunting rifles go but certainly not a target trigger.
There is also a set trigger and some of the high-end tactical models have a 2-stage trigger.
There are several aftermarket triggers available but they cost hundreds of $$. In my experience the cheap Overtravel and Creep adjustment kit from High Velocity Hunting does wonders to the standard trigger.

ReneZ

#6 Postby ReneZ » Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:43 pm

"I guess the reason for your question is you are looking for a donor action as a base for a rifle build." Indeed, that's why I'm asking about the action and not trigger/wood/grip etc.

Thanks for the responses though, it does help.

I have seen some nice rifles, but as I need/want to shoot .308 for the discipline I found most are not of that caliber. I do understand that eventually I might end up paying the same or possibly more than a special build, but I don't have the funds for that at the moment. A Barnard action in left hand is about 2000 I think. Second hand possibly 1200/1500 dependent on barrel etc., but they rarely come up it seems (or I'm too late :-) )

And a second hand lefty in .308 not so much.

Thanks, Rene
Rene Z.

John23

#7 Postby John23 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:05 pm

I see where your coming from

But in saying that .
They don’t come up for sale often but if you ask to buy they often do

CamoWhamo

#8 Postby CamoWhamo » Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:35 pm

ReneZ wrote:I have seen some nice rifles, but as I need/want to shoot .308 for the discipline I found most are not of that caliber.

If the plan is to re-barrel it then don't overlook anything that was a standard long action (eg. .270, .30-06 etc). The bolt will be the same and chances are you can make use of the longer stroke to seat projectiles longer and if you don't want that then a new bolt stop is easy to replace.

ned kelly

#9 Postby ned kelly » Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:28 am

G'day ReneZ,
as a lefty, I would strongly recommend looking at buying a rifle with a RH action. Your left hand never leaves the grip and your right hand operates the bolt and loads, plus you can see the load port so no fumbled ammo while loading. Very fast when you need it to be.
Been doing this for prone shooting since the '90's.
Hope this helps
Cheerio Geoff

ReneZ

#10 Postby ReneZ » Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:25 pm

Thanks team, some good info! Cheers, Rene
Rene Z.

ShaneG

#11 Postby ShaneG » Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:06 pm

ned kelly wrote:G'day ReneZ,
as a lefty, I would strongly recommend looking at buying a rifle with a RH action. Your left hand never leaves the grip and your right hand operates the bolt and loads, plus you can see the load port so no fumbled ammo while loading. Very fast when you need it to be.
Been doing this for prone shooting since the '90's.
Hope this helps
Cheerio Geoff

This is great advice
I am right handed
Started with a RB RH stock
Next went custom Barnard RB with left port! First time on mound I said to myself “ idiot why not LB too”?!
Last six years I have used LB LP actions with right handed stocks
If using factory stock they are ambi anyway

Return to “General Forum”