Here We Go Again

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

AlanF

Here We Go Again

#1 Postby AlanF » Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:11 pm

I've just been sent an E-mail with the news that the Anzac Rifle Range in NSW is to be relocated. Apparently the new Federal Govt has made a deal with the NSW Govt and it is not negotiable. The big question is, where will it be relocated to i.e. how far out of Sydney? Will it be like Bendigo - nearly 2hrs for some in the Southern suburbs of Melbourne? Many stopped shooting when Williamstown closed. This is a bad day for our sport.

tpiv

Where to

#2 Postby tpiv » Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:17 pm

You really have to wonder if they want our sport at all. Bye the way does anybody know what this new government has planned for us. Are they going to be difficult to get on with.

Toni.

AlanF

#3 Postby AlanF » Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:37 pm

I think the best way in future is to urge ALL shooters to vote Shooters Party in the Senate - we'll never get anywhere with the major parties. The Shooters Party can then make preference deals with the majors, in return for concessions.

Tom Lowndes

Malabar

#4 Postby Tom Lowndes » Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:50 pm

Alan

Senator Bill Heffernan has been a presenter at the last 3 NSWRA Queens,and the previous Gov were with keeping Malabar.

I think you are a bit unfair saying the major parties both dont care,when it is obvious the one was prepared to support Malabar,and it is obvious that the other one couldnt care less.

Whilst the Shooters Party may be with us,I fear they are too small a voice.

Tom Lowndes

AlanF

Re: Malabar

#5 Postby AlanF » Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:05 pm

Tom Lowndes wrote:Alan

Senator Bill Heffernan has been a presenter at the last 3 NSWRA Queens,and the previous Gov were with keeping Malabar.

I think you are a bit unfair saying the major parties both dont care,when it is obvious the one was prepared to support Malabar,and it is obvious that the other one couldnt care less.

Whilst the Shooters Party may be with us,I fear they are too small a voice.

Tom Lowndes

Tom,

Point taken. Sounds like Bill is valuable ally.

I'm just looking at the way I understand politics works. You can punch above your weight with preference deals - you deal with whichever party you expect to win, and get ageeements on key issues in return for giving that party your preferences.

Alan

Tom Lowndes

Malabar

#6 Postby Tom Lowndes » Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:10 pm

Alan

Does the Shooters party have an elected representative at State/Federal level?

If so,that is the place to start.

Tom Lowndes

AlanF

#7 Postby AlanF » Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:22 pm

I don't know :oops: . I seem to remember someone in NSW (maybe State Upper House) being mentioned in the SSAA magazine, but not sure.
Will look into it on Sunday night - have much reloading to do with Moe tomorrow, and our Rosedale picnic shoot Sunday!!

Alan

Tom Lowndes

Moe/Rosedale

#8 Postby Tom Lowndes » Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:27 pm

Good Luck

Look foreward to the results.

Tom

Ken L

#9 Postby Ken L » Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:01 pm

The Shooters Party in NSW have 2 members in the Legislative Council
( state version of the Senate). Though they cant stop a Bill going thru should the Greens side with the Government. The government is dependant on Shooters Party for support to get bills thru should the Greens try and stop it.
So they have some influence exceeding their numbers

Ken L

Tom Lowndes

Malabar

#10 Postby Tom Lowndes » Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:47 pm

Well lets see if they are worth their money!

RDavies

#11 Postby RDavies » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:47 pm

So is there any news on where the new range will be built?

Peter Hulett

#12 Postby Peter Hulett » Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:16 pm

O.K
I agree with all the above but how reliable is the information? It doesn't appear to be making waves anywhere else. Peter Garret made vague mutterings about Malabar prior to the election but nothing since. It is a bit early for the new federal government to be making deals with state governments, they haven't even started fighting yet.

Can anybody direct me towards a press release, statement by anybody or even a significant whisper that this rumour is true?

Cheers
Peter Hulett

AlanF

#13 Postby AlanF » Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:58 pm

Peter,

Have forwarded you a copy of the E-mail I received.

Alan

Peter Hulett

#14 Postby Peter Hulett » Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:32 pm

Thanks Alan,

That clears things up a bit. Not all doom and gloom however with the promise of a reconstructed range prior to the closure of Anzac. The inference is that it will be close to Sydney and perhaps in the end better. Swanbourne has gone of course but the mood over there seems to be fairly upbeat.
A bit different to when we lost Williamstown and were tipped out with no compensation at all.

Maybe these closures are opportunities not setbacks.

Cheers
Peter hulett

AlanF

#15 Postby AlanF » Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:49 pm

Peter Hulett wrote:...Maybe these closures are opportunities not setbacks...

Yes we tend to focus on the negatives when change is forced on us. However the shooters living close to Malabar are going to struggle to look on the bright side. :? The keener ones will bite the bullet and travel further - but no doubt some will leave the sport. Here's hoping there are new recruitment opportunities at the new site.

Alan

Return to “General Forum”