Rimfire F class in Australia

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

Brad Y

Re: Rimfire F class in Australia

#16 Postby Brad Y » Mon May 31, 2021 10:21 pm

Would really love to do more NRL22 style shooting, I hear it’s happening over east but the ranges we have here in WA just aren’t as suitable for it.

Quick

#17 Postby Quick » Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:17 am

A few ranges here in WA have done rimfire F-Class. Its popular. Im starting up a rimfire gong shoot here in WA at WARA Pinjar. 100m and 200m for starters. Going to stretch to 300m and 400m.

Theres alot of new gear out these days to suit stretching 22LR out a long way. Im building one now suitable to shoot 400m without holding over.
Shaun aka 'Quick'
Yanchep, Western Australia

308 Win F/TR & F-S
7mm F-Open Shooter.

RDavies

#18 Postby RDavies » Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:29 am

Quick wrote:A few ranges here in WA have done rimfire F-Class. Its popular. Im starting up a rimfire gong shoot here in WA at WARA Pinjar. 100m and 200m for starters. Going to stretch to 300m and 400m.

Theres alot of new gear out these days to suit stretching 22LR out a long way. Im building one now suitable to shoot 400m without holding over.

Shooting a rimfire 400m without holding over? I thought it would be like lobbing mortars

Quick

#19 Postby Quick » Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:38 am

Yeah it is. Needs around 80MOA of elevation. 25MRAD. But fun. The challenge makes it interesting.

Not to mention that $15 for 50rds is alot cheaper then 50rds of centrefire when I wanna have a plink at the range.
Shaun aka 'Quick'

308 Win F/TR & F-S
7mm F-Open Shooter.

cheech

#20 Postby cheech » Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:09 pm

Quick wrote:A few ranges here in WA have done rimfire F-Class. Its popular. Im starting up a rimfire gong shoot here in WA at WARA Pinjar. 100m and 200m for starters. Going to stretch to 300m and 400m.

Join Loxton rifle club Gong rimfire challenge 19th June , first gong shoot NRAA Nationally sanctioned ever !!! Go to our Facebook page for more info

Cheers

RDavies

#21 Postby RDavies » Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:14 am

cheech wrote:

Join Loxton rifle club Gong rimfire challenge 19th June , first gong shoot NRAA Nationally sanctioned ever !!! Go to our Facebook page for more info

Cheers

It is good to see clubs thinking outside the box and trying something new like this instead of the batshit boring OPMs of 2 and 10 at 500,500,600.

Quick

#22 Postby Quick » Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:12 am

I hear you Rod. One of the other Pinjar based clubs are runnng centrefire gong shoots at 400, 700 and soon 900m. Its getting a solid following. Im going to run the rimfire ones. Should be good fun.

Clubs need to innovate, or die.
Shaun aka 'Quick'

308 Win F/TR & F-S
7mm F-Open Shooter.

cheech

#23 Postby cheech » Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:45 pm

Quick wrote:I hear you Rod. One of the other Pinjar based clubs are runnng centrefire gong shoots at 400, 700 and soon 900m. Its getting a solid following. Im going to run the rimfire ones. Should be good fun.

Totally agreed Quick !!!

Loxton has also gained approval for 2 new mounds in operation last month , extending to 1100 & 1200 and Gong approved out to those distances and of course Electronic targets

We as a club listen to the shooter and encourage members input to make a vision become a reality .

We have had total support from our membership , our adjoining neighbors , SAPOL , NRAA National .

In no way are we changing from traditional disciplines, it’s an “additional “ option for those to enjoy

Mick_762

#24 Postby Mick_762 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:37 pm

cheech wrote:
Quick wrote:I hear you Rod. One of the other Pinjar based clubs are runnng centrefire gong shoots at 400, 700 and soon 900m. Its getting a solid following. Im going to run the rimfire ones. Should be good fun.

Totally agreed Quick !!!

Loxton has also gained approval for 2 new mounds in operation last month , extending to 1100 & 1200 and Gong approved out to those distances and of course Electronic targets

We as a club listen to the shooter and encourage members input to make a vision become a reality .

We have had total support from our membership , our adjoining neighbors , SAPOL , NRAA National .

In no way are we changing from traditional disciplines, it’s an “additional “ option for those to enjoy

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
David Mickel
Darwin Rifle Club

dave

#25 Postby dave » Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:43 am

G'day Rod

in regard to our original idea to introduce and trial 300m rimfire BR, after extensive testing this year, it now seems that once the discriminatory nsw BR bans are lifted it is most likely that we will limit our proposed rimfire BR matches to 200 (metres or yards).

no doubt some of us will still shoot 300m, but the factors that have led the reduction from 300 to 200 are related to the fact that most shooters of ours are not able to set their rifles up for the longer distance.

in actual measurements and depending on the ammunition used to obtain a 22rimfire point of aim trajectory for 300metres the scope and mounts need to be able to provide more than 50 to 60 to 70 minutes of vertical adjustment.

although it depends on the ammo used, at 100yards we measured the impacts being between 55 and 65 inches high when sighted in for 300metres.

as most of our potential shooters wish to use their standard hunting 22s, for them to adapt for 300metres would mean additional expense for tapered bases, and or insert mounts and or a more suitable scope with greater vertical travel.

for 200 yards around 20 to 30 inches of adjustment are needed and it is much easier to achieve this with their regular scopes and mounts.

although the wind allowances at 200 are substantial, i suggest that if people move to 300m they will find the wind effects much more noticeable and soul destroying.

others can do as they please, but our aim is to encourage participation, enjoyable and satisfying rimfire LRBR.

for my testing at 300m and beyond i used my howa m100 with 25min bases, burris rings with 40 moa inserts and tasco sniper scope which has +- 50 minutes of vertical adjustment.

typical group results at 300 are as follows

sks yellow standard (good batch)

sks yellow std (not so good batch)

sks target went reasonable

sks subsonic and norma target - note poa for norma was lower red circle.

by the way,in all of this testing at 300m, due to the mirage and existing light conditions all shooting was done blind.

the only indication of hitting the plates was sometimes the "ping of hitting the plate" could be heard.

no doubt on other ranges, depending on the existing optical conditions it would be possible to see bullet impacts on paper or steel plates etc. at 300m.

on the same days as the 300m testing, in the same conditions , in testing at 200m it was possible to see the impact positions on the plates.

if anyone else is into the challenge of rimfire LRBR, please feel free to share your experiences and findings.

cheers
dave g

RDavies

#26 Postby RDavies » Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:53 pm

Dave, it looks like you have certainly been trying the long range rimfire and yes, you are correct that 300 is a big ask for 22 rimfire. I only shot at 300y since the club was currently shooting Fullbore/F class at that distance (mainly for the hunters to have a go with their hunting rigs.

With 300y now redundant in centrefire F class, maybe the existing 300y targets will work well for shooting rimfire at 200.

Bigfoot

#27 Postby Bigfoot » Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:47 pm

Hi Rod,

Is at all possible to use the electronic targets with 22LR out to 200m?

Due to the covid restrictions here in SA, we are currently banned from using the military ranges, and our private ranges only have electronic targets.

RDavies

#28 Postby RDavies » Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:15 pm

Bigfoot wrote:Hi Rod,

Is at all possible to use the electronic targets with 22LR out to 200m?

Due to the covid restrictions here in SA, we are currently banned from using the military ranges, and our private ranges only have electronic targets.

I’m not sure sorry. I have only used a rimfire on proper targets.
I’m not sure if they read on ETs

dave

#29 Postby dave » Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:26 pm

We have shot the 22s through the Hex ET's at 300m and found they worked perfectly which was a pleasant surprise.

Bigfoot

#30 Postby Bigfoot » Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:29 am

Thanks Guys

I think we will give it a try.
:)

Return to “General Forum”