Is it time for a change

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

cheech

Re: Is it time for a change

#16 Postby cheech » Fri Dec 17, 2021 1:12 pm

How about we sift out all the butts and reuse them ?

Barry Davies

#17 Postby Barry Davies » Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:02 am

On the subject of HBC projectiles.
I have used these many times and found no problem with them.
Question remains --what happened to the supply??
If the are no longer available then there will be many members who may well consider some other form of entertainment as the price was right for those who simply shoot club and nothing else.
Maybe one of our NRAA reps could come in and enlighten us as to the reason these projectiles are no longer available.
Is that too much to ask??

Barossa_222

#18 Postby Barossa_222 » Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:34 am

Barry Davies wrote:On the subject of HBC projectiles.
I have used these many times and found no problem with them.
Question remains --what happened to the supply??
If the are no longer available then there will be many members who may well consider some other form of entertainment as the price was right for those who simply shoot club and nothing else.
Maybe one of our NRAA reps could come in and enlighten us as to the reason these projectiles are no longer available.
Is that too much to ask??

Have you considered maybe they aren't around anymore because the price was too cheap? The cost of raw material has skyrocketed over the past 2 years. If people aren't aware of this or have concerns, maybe golf is the sport for them. This is not just affecting our sport, but all shooting sports. Pistol shooters will be able to sympathize with us with powder being impossible to source. This is just the way it is at the moment.

Barry Davies

#19 Postby Barry Davies » Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:23 am

Not around because the price is too cheap? That does not make sense.
Despite the rise in cost of raw materials I would think that the comparative price between locally made and imported would remain about the same. I believe HBC sourced all of their raw materials locally --no imports --that being so where then does the problem lie?
It would be an interesting exercise to find out what proportion of our membership used HBC projectiles. My guess is the greater proportion. If so, where does this leave them?
Despite all the problems with supply, HBC would have still been cheaper than imports, so I don't see cost as being a reason to quit.

GrahamW

#20 Postby GrahamW » Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:45 pm

Barry Davies wrote:Question remains --what happened to the supply??

This should explain it Barry,

MEMBER UPDATE #44

Barry Davies

#21 Postby Barry Davies » Tue Dec 21, 2021 6:55 am

Would like to hear the other side of that story!!

Barossa_222

#22 Postby Barossa_222 » Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:29 am

Barry Davies wrote:Not around because the price is too cheap? That does not make sense.
Despite the rise in cost of raw materials I would think that the comparative price between locally made and imported would remain about the same. I believe HBC sourced all of their raw materials locally --no imports --that being so where then does the problem lie?
It would be an interesting exercise to find out what proportion of our membership used HBC projectiles. My guess is the greater proportion. If so, where does this leave them?
Despite all the problems with supply, HBC would have still been cheaper than imports, so I don't see cost as being a reason to quit.

What I'm saying is that members are not prepared to pay 80c for HBC projectiles. Have you considered Optimus was not making enough money?

Matt P

#23 Postby Matt P » Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:01 am

PeteFox wrote:Bill
The reason the STA's can't supply 155.5 fullbores is that they are no longer in production. Same goes for 155 VLD's.
Pete

You're right and wrong, the VLD is no longer but the 155.5 is still being produced and no plans to discontinue. The issue is Berger can't produce enough projectiles, I've been told that the next 2 years of production is sold already, now some of that is headed our way but if you were to place an order today you won't see it for 2 years.
Matt P

AlanF

#24 Postby AlanF » Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:09 am

I wonder if the NRAA would consider a "moratorium" on projectile rules for TR and FStd for a year or two (i.e any projectile)? It might mean more shooters at OPMs if many are short of their favourite 155.5s.

PeteFox

#25 Postby PeteFox » Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:51 am

Matt P wrote:
The reason the STA's can't supply 155.5 fullbores is that they are no longer in production. Same goes for 155 VLD's.
Pete

You're right and wrong, the VLD is no longer but the 155.5 is still being produced and no plans to discontinue. The issue is Berger can't produce enough projectiles, I've been told that the next 2 years of production is sold already, now some of that is headed our way but if you were to place an order today you won't see it for 2 years.
Matt P

Matt
My info comes in writing direct from the importer.
Pete

Barry Davies

#26 Postby Barry Davies » Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:09 am

AlanF wrote:I wonder if the NRAA would consider a "moratorium" on projectile rules for TR and FStd for a year or two (i.e any projectile)? It might mean more shooters at OPMs if many are short of their favourite 155.5s.

That would be the thin edge of the wedge, would'nt it?

GrahamW

#27 Postby GrahamW » Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:10 am

Interestingly, a quick look on the Optimus website shows the HBC available to order.
Is there any real reason we can't order directly if they're still on the approved list and the NRAA can't supply them?

Mick_762

#28 Postby Mick_762 » Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:27 am

GrahamW wrote:Interestingly, a quick look on the Optimus website shows the HBC available to order.
Is there any real reason we can't order directly if they're still on the approved list and the NRAA can't supply them?

Apart from the "5000 plus" minimum quantity, but that wouldn't be hard to get between a couple of shooters.
We used to buy directly from Bob and Jan - so shouldn't be an issue.
David Mickel
Darwin Rifle Club

Matt P

#29 Postby Matt P » Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:24 pm

GrahamW wrote:Interestingly, a quick look on the Optimus website shows the HBC available to order.

Other than the machinery currently packed up and sitting in a container and not making bullets, no not really :D

Matt P

#30 Postby Matt P » Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:25 pm

PeteFox wrote:
Matt P wrote:
Pete

Matt P

Matt
My info comes in writing direct from the importer.
Pete

So did mine

Return to “General Forum”