hornsby rifle range

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

Benm77

hornsby rifle range

#1 Postby Benm77 » Sun Dec 19, 2021 4:48 am

Hi all, im looking for some info on joining one of the better clubs for f-class/ f-open at the Hornsby range? Im not looking to be competetive just yet, just have a shot once or twice a month. I emailed Hornsby RSL rifle club try to get a firm idea on pricing as the initial reply i got was a bit non specific at "$400+ and a minimum of $15 each day you shoot". I like the ability to shoot out to 800m there but i can shoot out to 600m at Gosford and they are quick to reply. Is anyone a member at Hornsby rsl rifl club that can give me an answer?
Thanks for any assistance.
Ben

macguru

Re: hornsby rifle range

#2 Postby macguru » Sun Dec 19, 2021 6:45 am

It sounds like they were specific enough to me .... The exact annual fees are not known for next financial year because they are made of subs to parent organisations that do not decide until next year, but the total amount sounds about right, around $450 for most of the clubs at hornsby, depending on your age and pension status etc.
id quod est

Walt

#3 Postby Walt » Sun Dec 19, 2021 1:57 pm

https://www.nowrarifleclub.com.au/

Go shooting and make a weekend of it on the beach as well (Shooting, Sun and Surf). Check the calendar. Range goes up to 800 metres. Comprehensive F Class facilities with electronic targets.

willow

#4 Postby willow » Sun Dec 19, 2021 3:17 pm

Benm77 wrote:Hi all, im looking for some info on joining one of the better clubs for f-class/ f-open at the Hornsby range? Im not looking to be competetive just yet, just have a shot once or twice a month. I emailed Hornsby RSL rifle club try to get a firm idea on pricing as the initial reply i got was a bit non specific at "$400+ and a minimum of $15 each day you shoot". I like the ability to shoot out to 800m there but i can shoot out to 600m at Gosford and they are quick to reply. Is anyone a member at Hornsby rsl rifl club that can give me an answer?
Thanks for any assistance.
Ben

I shoot with Hornsby RSL Rifle Club - what type of info are you after?

Lachlan

#5 Postby Lachlan » Sun Dec 19, 2021 3:23 pm

$450? That sounds a bit rich..

willow

#6 Postby willow » Sun Dec 19, 2021 3:56 pm

Lachlan wrote:$450? That sounds a bit rich..

The fees are a combination of funds which go to the North Shore District Rifle Association, NSW Rifle Association, National Rifle Association and the Federation of Hunting Club which maintains Hornsby RSL Rifle Club's status as a registered hunting club. In short, the club makes money from weekly range fees as it doesn't make money from the annual membership.

Benm77

#7 Postby Benm77 » Mon Dec 20, 2021 4:21 am

HI Willow, Im just wanting to know if the $400 per year is correct (Im 44 dont have any concessions) and how much are the daily fees are for shooting on the saturday? I was quoted "minimum $15". Is that how much it costs if you bring your own rifle and ammo or does it depend on how many shots you take?
Thanks for your time and assistance mate, i appreciate it.
Ben

willow

#8 Postby willow » Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:15 pm

Benm77 wrote:HI Willow, Im just wanting to know if the $400 per year is correct (Im 44 dont have any concessions) and how much are the daily fees are for shooting on the saturday? I was quoted "minimum $15". Is that how much it costs if you bring your own rifle and ammo or does it depend on how many shots you take?
Thanks for your time and assistance mate, i appreciate it.
Ben

Hi Ben, yes those fees are correct at present. We charge members $15 range fees on Saturday, this fee is consumed by the club and part of it extends towards target maintenance as the Hexta targets are expensive. If you shoot two disciplines, for example F-Open and Sporting Hunter Open, we charge $20. If you're looking at shooting F-Open, we do two stages, with stage 1 being 2 optional sighters with 10 to count. Stage 2 is 2 and 15. Sporting Hunter is one stage only at this stage.

If you need club rifle and ammo then it becomes dearer. We resume shooting on the 8th of Jan. Come up and say hi, bring your gear, I'll try and get you on the mound.

John Weigel

#9 Postby John Weigel » Tue Dec 21, 2021 3:58 pm

Willow - thanks for being part of so many informative discussions on a range of relevant topics (to me, at least), that I've scanned across the last decade or so of Ozfclass forum activity. I hope you don't mind me asking another related question about Hornsby range - and something that I can't seem to retrieve from forum archives or the sites of Horsnby shooting clubs. I've had a variety of answers to this question - when asked verbally of shooters who are familiar with the range. What is the arrangement around practice shooting, other than Saturdays? I'm happy to come down (from nearby Gosford) on Wednesdays, which appears to be the designated practice day. I'm looking for opportunities to practice wind interpretation at a 'normal' range - being one with a foreground for mirage-watching - a feature that is largely absent from the canyon-dissected Kariong/Gosford range. Therefore, I'm hoping for clarification about distance restrictions on the Hornsby practice arrangement - one shooter told me that there is a 300yd limit. Not looking for a tome of info - and if you can direct me to a URL that I've missed, that would be great too. More generally, I'd appreciate any clues from any source about where a guy can shoot at electronic targets at distance, on any day but Saturdays - anywhere within a few hours drive of Sydney/Central Coast.

Sincerely,
John Weigel

willow

#10 Postby willow » Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:11 pm

John Weigel wrote:Willow - thanks for being part of so many informative discussions on a range of relevant topics (to me, at least), that I've scanned across the last decade or so of Ozfclass forum activity. I hope you don't mind me asking another related question about Hornsby range - and something that I can't seem to retrieve from forum archives or the sites of Horsnby shooting clubs. I've had a variety of answers to this question - when asked verbally of shooters who are familiar with the range. What is the arrangement around practice shooting, other than Saturdays? I'm happy to come down (from nearby Gosford) on Wednesdays, which appears to be the designated practice day. I'm looking for opportunities to practice wind interpretation at a 'normal' range - being one with a foreground for mirage-watching - a feature that is largely absent from the canyon-dissected Kariong/Gosford range. Therefore, I'm hoping for clarification about distance restrictions on the Hornsby practice arrangement - one shooter told me that there is a 300yd limit. Not looking for a tome of info - and if you can direct me to a URL that I've missed, that would be great too. More generally, I'd appreciate any clues from any source about where a guy can shoot at electronic targets at distance, on any day but Saturdays - anywhere within a few hours drive of Sydney/Central Coast.

Sincerely,
John Weigel

Hi John,

Practice is a tough one mate. Yes, Hornsby usually has a practice day scheduled on Wednesday's, but is usually shot at 300 metres and it's run by a crew who don't normally partake in Saturday shooting. Our typical yearly Saturday range program is the best option for getting in some distance shooting - if you're wanting 600m plus dates, send me a PM but outside of Saturday's, I don't have any more info I'm afraid.

Benm77

#11 Postby Benm77 » Wed Dec 22, 2021 2:00 pm

Thanks again Willow! Sincerely appreciate your input and will definitely be there to test myself out asap. I understand there is significant cost involved in maintainance and the hexta targeting system is great, i used it for several years at Gosford. . I dont know if im allowed to just turn up on a Saturday as i was sent an email regarding orientation/try shooting event that i believe i need to do on ny first shoot there.
Look forward to meeting up
Ben

willow

#12 Postby willow » Wed Dec 22, 2021 7:42 pm

Benm77 wrote:Thanks again Willow! Sincerely appreciate your input and will definitely be there to test myself out asap. I understand there is significant cost involved in maintainance and the hexta targeting system is great, i used it for several years at Gosford. . I dont know if im allowed to just turn up on a Saturday as i was sent an email regarding orientation/try shooting event that i believe i need to do on ny first shoot there.
Look forward to meeting up
Ben

Hi Ben,

If you're licenced, and know how to shoot, I wouldn't bother with the Try Shooting day. What we generally do for people such as yourself, is let the regular club members do their competitive shoot, then let visitors have a blat - we're open from 1:00pm to 4:30pm and at the moment, time is not an issue as our regular attendance numbers are down a little due to COVID.

If you're keen to come along, let me know beforehand so I can look after you on the afternoon.

jsa54

#13 Postby jsa54 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:40 pm

Hi Ben and John,

Willow has already given you quite a good deal of info on Hornsby Range but just to add a bit to that...there are 2 fullbore clubs that are significantly more focussed on F Class than traditional TR, one being Hornsby RSL and the other being North Sydney. I am a member of the latter and we enjoy a good competitive and social rapport with the RSL folks. Annual fees for both, including NRAA insurances, are around the $450 mark as he indicated and both clubs typically charge $15 for an afternoon's shoot in one discipline. We don't have to pay any additional fees for range perimeter security pickets etc such as incurred at Malabar.

Like most fullbore clubs, we generally don't cater for people just looking wander up to have the occasional practice day, there are a few commercial operators who cater for that need; we are looking to attract and support members who regularly want to get into either personal best or group competitive longer range and are willing to pitch in and help on the workload.

The NSW police in particular train most weekdays on the 100M pistol/smallbore range adjacent to the main 800M range and that generally limits us to 300M during the week because of safety template issues. There are other ad hoc commercial users of the range that again occasionally affect the availability of the main range.

There is a "300M ISSF Club" Willow alluded to that shoots on the main range on Wednesday mornings; whilst it isn't a formal club with membership, it is made up of regular club shooters, not ad hoc attendees, but it is an option for you to consider for a mid-week practice if you intend to be a regular. I think their range fee is either $10 or $15. It is predominantly made up of Hornsby Range and Gosford Range club members with a couple of Malabar dudes in there also but I am sure they are open to new 'members'.

Getting back to the main range aspects, North Sydney and Hornsby RSL have recently started jointly shooting on Wednesday afternoons and if the police have finished for the day by midday on the 100M range we are then able to use the full length of the 800M range in the afternoon; typically however we use the 500M or 600M range for load development etc. We are always happy to have a visitor or two from outside of the area join us if they pitch in to help with the setup work etc; we get people from Cessnock and Gosford clubs etc etc come and join us every so often but the general premise is that you are a member of a NSWRA target club, not just a licence holder looking for some practice.

If either of you want more info, particularly club membership etc, just let Willow or myself know.
Cheers

Return to “General Forum”