Careful when buying

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

saum2

Re: Careful when buying

#16 Postby saum2 » Thu May 12, 2022 10:40 am

Easy, Look at Pic 4 & 5 there's a plug in a previous pillar bedding or take-down hole and not done very well either. That's the way it looks. Won't effect the way it shoots.

Tim78

#17 Postby Tim78 » Thu May 12, 2022 12:30 pm

Quick wrote:Hey mate. I know the rifle in question and I can guarentee you it wasnt like that when it was sent. It was in excellent condition. You didnt pay brand new price for the rifle, you bought 2nd hand. I paid 6k for a 2nd hand rifle and it had some chips in the clearcoat, it doesnt effect the way the rifle shoots however. Competition rifles do get chips from use, etc. If you wanted a brand new rifle, then pay for a brand new rifle. The paint job alone on that rifle when new cost 1500 plus to get done. 5500 is way less then cost of brand new rifle when using the components that build has.

I think your expectations where a bit high in this situation. You will be had pressed to find a better setup then you bought. The only weakpoint will be you as the shooter.

It was exactly as you see it is how I bought it!!

argh

#18 Postby argh » Thu May 12, 2022 2:38 pm

To the OP, have you actually shot this rifle yet? Or had an experienced shooter have a stage (from some of your posts you seem new to the sport) ? The value of a lot of 2nd hand rifles is how they actually shoot, and with those components it appears well worth what you paid, and assuming put together properly should be a shooter.

You will quickly find, pretty does not mean quality nor accuracy. Stocks take a fair amount of a beating, in and out of safes, on the range, chips from ejected cases, etc. I just stripped my stock and fully re oiled/sealed after around 3 years of service with all the dings and scratches.
Its second hand

Tim78

#19 Postby Tim78 » Thu May 12, 2022 3:31 pm

argh wrote:To the OP, have you actually shot this rifle yet? Or had an experienced shooter have a stage (from some of your posts you seem new to the sport) ? The value of a lot of 2nd hand rifles is how they actually shoot, and with those components it appears well worth what you paid, and assuming put together properly should be a shooter.

You will quickly find, pretty does not mean quality nor accuracy. Stocks take a fair amount of a beating, in and out of safes, on the range, chips from ejected cases, etc. I just stripped my stock and fully re oiled/sealed after around 3 years of service with all the dings and scratches.
Its second hand

I know its second hand but the whole argument is he told me it was in excellent condition and decided not to tell me about all the other chips on it

disb

#20 Postby disb » Thu May 12, 2022 3:45 pm

Yes but what people are saying is that chips don’t affect accuracy.
You still got a good deal.
If you aren’t happy put it up for $5500 here and someone else will grab it, then you can move on.

Rich4

#21 Postby Rich4 » Thu May 12, 2022 5:11 pm

I can honestly see both sides of the argument, it should be recognised that aesthetics’s are more important to some than others, who ever sold the rifle may or may not have even noticed the damage.
I personally wouldn’t accuse anyone of knowing of damage without knowing they were aware of it, which is different than it merely being present previous to sale, it’s probably a topic to discuss in good faith with the seller as opposed to a public forum.
If it shoots as good as it should, you won’t see the marks as your adding more, if the appearance affects your scores this may be the wrong game for you.

Tim78

#22 Postby Tim78 » Thu May 12, 2022 5:23 pm

I have sorted it out, the main thing that bothered me was the dishonesty, I am getting it repaired as we speak. Thanks everyone ☺️

Jason72

#23 Postby Jason72 » Sat May 14, 2022 11:21 am

Hi mate, totally understand your frustration.
Hopefully this is a lesson for everyone, I definitely would not purchase a rifle of any price without seeing it first.

Tim78

#24 Postby Tim78 » Sat May 14, 2022 11:43 am

Jason72 wrote:Hi mate, totally understand your frustration.
Hopefully this is a lesson for everyone, I definitely would not purchase a rifle of any price without seeing it first.

Thanks mate, I just hate when someone is dishonest about it then tries to tell you it was not like that when it left him, I think the word "excellent " is pretty self explanatory.

RDavies

#25 Postby RDavies » Sun May 15, 2022 10:22 am

Maybe the important bits were all excellent condition.
I pity the person who buys any of my guns when they first take them out of the case.

Quick

#26 Postby Quick » Sun May 15, 2022 10:24 am

RDavies wrote:Maybe the important bits were all excellent condition.
I pity the person who buys any of my guns when they first take them out of the case.

Ohh Rod, The man who tells it like it is. Your guns when sold will look like they should be in a museum....
Shaun aka 'Quick'
Yanchep, Western Australia

308 Win F/TR & F-S
7mm F-Open Shooter.

Bigtravoz

#27 Postby Bigtravoz » Tue May 31, 2022 9:57 pm

RDavies wrote:Maybe the important bits were all excellent condition.

I build my own then when I get a mark in the stock I can blame myself. A few minor marks are just character and make no difference in performance, but I can understand why someone buying a second hand item expects it to look like the day it was built….actually I can’t. Personally I would juyfix the cosmetics myself and move on with the remainder of rounds left in the barrel. If I wasn’t happy with it I would put it back up on the forum I bought it from. I have been burned myself buying it second hand rifle, that’s why I build what I want from the ground up. It costs less in the long run and you get exactly what you want. For instance my last one, it’s been an absolute ripper, was heavier than I intended but I wouldn’t change it for the world. Does alright for a commercial Mauser 98 action.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “General Forum”