New NFA

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

ShaneG

New NFA

#1 Postby ShaneG » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:28 am

Well, have a look at the new NFA between state Police Ministers and their Commissioners.
Basically been lowered to the extreme WA conditions plus some extra doozies!
Recreational genuine reason to have written landowners consent.
Every PTA to now have 28 day wait for one.
Plus 5 year max on licenses - there goes our hard won 10 year term in Qld for A+B!
Ammunition purchase only for the caliber on license and limits ? On purchase?
Obviously be taking into account the difference between a once a year shooter and weekly competitors for sure?!
For my self I would only shoot 50 or less .22 rf a year yet as many as 8-10K of .308 taking into account pest control and competition.
Yet plenty would be the opposite as I know many who would expend 10K plus pa in Rimfire and a handful of centre fire!
National training scheme for all license applications. What happens in the interim?
Haven't seen when this is all applicable but it will be quick and it has happened.

jasmay

Re: New NFA

#2 Postby jasmay » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:38 am

Our leaders could not give a rats about us and what we do, no consultation, no logic.

jasmay

#3 Postby jasmay » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:42 am

Shane, hasn't the land owners consent letter always been a requirement?

ShaneG

#4 Postby ShaneG » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:50 am

My understanding is that currently in Qld current financial membership of SSAA was sufficient for both sporting and recreation?

Brad Y

#5 Postby Brad Y » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:00 pm

Welcome to our hell is all I can say. Sorry to hear it.

lonerider43

#6 Postby lonerider43 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:49 pm

jasmay wrote:Shane, hasn't the land owners consent letter always been a requirement?

after a few yrs with the same property,written permission wasnt needed.[qld]
Australian's Against "Gun-A-Phobia"

IamPlayer

#7 Postby IamPlayer » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:31 pm

they are going after lafo and not even bothering about the illegals as all

Pommy Chris

#8 Postby Pommy Chris » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:39 am

Hi Shane,
I could not find any link to the changes, the latest weapons act still says 28 days for a PTA for a first firearm, but right away for second. I could not find reference to ammo restrictions or reduced licence period, very worrying if it is really happening, do you have a link?
Cheers
Chris

Steve N

#9 Postby Steve N » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:47 pm

Chris use this link to the Attorney General Dept website then put Firearms in their search window. You will see a PDF and a word document version of the 2017 NFA.

https://www.ag.gov.au/Pages/default.aspx

According to the SSAA website these documents appeared unanounced last Friday afternoon. State Acts will need to be changed in some circumstances to comply with this agreement.

Hopefully their will be a huge outcry from the law abiding gun owners that have been insulted and crapped on by those responsible and after the next election the bastards are wondering what their next career move will be. I for one will make a point of giving them the lowest possible preference option in any upcoming election.

ShaneG

#10 Postby ShaneG » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:16 pm

Cry is all we can do now.
Nothing tabled publicly beforehand.
Decisions made by ministers and commissioners. Advised by anti firearm bureaucrats.
No stakeholder consultation.
Rubber stamped by the Turnbull and co.

Just maybe the next election will mobilize firearm owners however history has proven them to be very apathetic.

Pollies probably relying on that.

I fear private firearm ownership in Australia by law abiding citizens is not going to be long term.

Pommy Chris

#11 Postby Pommy Chris » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:29 pm

Steve N wrote:Chris use this link to the Attorney General Dept website then put Firearms in their search window. You will see a PDF and a word document version of the 2017 NFA.

https://www.ag.gov.au/Pages/default.aspx

According to the SSAA website these documents appeared unanounced last Friday afternoon. State Acts will need to be changed in some circumstances to comply with this agreement.

Hopefully their will be a huge outcry from the law abiding gun owners that have been insulted and crapped on by those responsible and after the next election the bastards are wondering what their next career move will be. I for one will make a point of giving them the lowest possible preference option in any upcoming election.

Some bits dont look good especially the genuine reason, how can all clubs be involved in major competitions like Commonwealth Games?? NRAA can, but they are associations not a club as such, hopefully an error..
I cant find ammo restrictions though or reduction in licencing to 5 years?
Chris

Razer

#12 Postby Razer » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:46 pm

NSW has had ammunition restrictions for a couple of years or so now.
You can only buy ammunition for the calibres that you own and the ownership papers of the rifle is supposed to be sighted by the seller before handing the ammo over!
This is theoretically meant to stop the illegal firearms owners purchasing ammunition! :roll:
If the criminals can successfully *illegally* import from the Phillipines M/1914 clones made on redundant machinery bought from Winchester that was used to make the the very same pistol in the US, then, I cannot see what restricting the sale of ammunition accomplishes! #-o
One new law that I only encountered recently is that an owner in NSW can no longer post a firearm from himself to a gunshop/dealer It has to be taken to a gunshop, from where the gunshop owner can then post the item to another gunshop/dealer from where the new owner collects it. It is supposed to leave a traceable paper trail. :roll:
I approached a courier to find out what they do, and it is also restricted as they use the post office owned Star Track to deliver interstate, so the same conditions apply as the PO!

Being a legal firearm owner in Australia is like being persecuted for some horrendous crime. We are adjudged guilty for being entirely innocent. :(

ShaneG

#13 Postby ShaneG » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:50 am

Chris,
All there and more.
The worst is that they have included a wish list from 2010 Qld Firearms Act which was eventually stopped due to public outcry.
Even then they tried to keep the contents secret as with this latest effort.
The Police Commissioner can refuse or revoke a license with " criminal intelligence"!
No right of appeal is mentioned.
Also they will not reveal what the " criminal intelligence" is under privilege.
And that could possibly be a neighbour with a gripe against you telling the police you pointed a firearm at them for example?

plumbs7

#14 Postby plumbs7 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:31 pm

The only good thing about this is it still has to go through parliament! And in Qld and upcoming election the Politicians are nervous ! If LNP support this NFA review including the lever action shotgun reclassification.
They will all be able to travel to Qld Parliament House in a Maxi Taxi!

In Australia according to Crimtrac , we are 2 million licensed shooters strong and growing exponentially every year !

Even the outdated Qld gov figures puts us at 600 000 strong or 200 000 strong when they want to play us down a political minority'.

Vote for Parties that will support us ! I've been an LNP voter all my life but they have only screwed us Lafos and am really thinking about changing my vote to a more relevant party !

I am doubtful that the new NFA will get through Qld and may even spell the death of Howard's ill conceived Fabianist left wing NFA ! We could have had laws like NZ! If they had bother to listen !

While shooters are just seen as a sport and not as an important prerequisite for democracy and a asset to defence of this great nation ( just like we were before ) .
We will always be treated with contempt and scorn !

plumbs7

#15 Postby plumbs7 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:39 pm

ShaneG wrote:Chris,
All there and more.
The worst is that they have included a wish list from 2010 Qld Firearms Act which was eventually stopped due to public outcry.
Even then they tried to keep the contents secret as with this latest effort.
The Police Commissioner can refuse or revoke a license with " criminal intelligence"!
No right of appeal is mentioned.
Also they will not reveal what the " criminal intelligence" is under privilege.
And that could possibly be a neighbour with a gripe against you telling the police you pointed a firearm at them for example?

If this is true ! We will have to watch what we say in public forums . As even what has been said above could be taken to extremes with their subjective opinion and grounds for loss of license just to shut us up!

Death to freedom of speech ! It's getting more left wing ! Very sad !

Return to “General Forum”