Pommie gday

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

Pommie

Pommie gday

#1 Postby Pommie » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:19 am

Hello guys, been following the forum for a while and found it time to say gday!

Coming from a military family I used to shoot in my youth. Now in my 40's and growing a family of my own I decided it was time to get back into the game, so I could raise my children with some shared experiences. Having bought a block I was lucky enough to gain an easier route into my license and through trading fishing opportunities to others, (the block is on the Daintree), I've been lucky enough to gain access to some flat ground to shoot on.

Over the last 2 years I've ferreted a few rifles into the safe and tried to create a recoil curve to learn from again - .223, .260, .308 with weight, .308 hunter and 7mmRM hunter. As with any hobby there's been both ups and downs. My heavy 308, a Rem 700 SPSV, came second-hand from a complete grub who failed at a simple bed job and stuck a break on before calling it quits. After 4 or 5 sessions of Sweets and half a bottle of Ed's I've finally pulled out most of NSW from the barrel. With some reloading it finally shoots -MOA but lots more work to do. On the flip side I treated myself to a Savage LRP in .260 which appears to shoot anything fed to it. With light gusts over a headland I was able to shoot a 3 shot group under an inch at 300m in a cane paddock.

Currently, only competing with myself but given time and more practice anything's possible.

Anyways - GDAY OZFClass

SunnyCoast 5r

Re: Pommie gday

#2 Postby SunnyCoast 5r » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:08 am

Nice to hear your story...I think there are many of us who can relate to 'getting back into shooting'. I think F class is a good step in that regard. Most people are friendly and give helpful advice to us newbies. See you at the range one day.

AlanF

#3 Postby AlanF » Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:24 pm

Pommie,

There is a rifle club at Cairns with some of the best F-Class shooters in Australia. Looks like like you're within an hour's drive of there. If you dropped in to have a look at F-Class I'm sure they'd make you welcome, and give very good advice.

SteveL

#4 Postby SteveL » Tue May 09, 2017 9:29 am

Hello Pommie,
The Cairns rifle club is located at Wangetti beach down rifle range Rd, so not all that far from the Daintree.
We shoot nearly every Sunday from 8 am and we would love to see you there.
This weekend is 300 meters shot on electronic targets.

Steve

Pommie

#5 Postby Pommie » Tue May 16, 2017 11:29 pm

thanks for the welcome guys!

I'll make the effort to pop in one Sunday Steve. I thought I saw a thread from 2016 here promoting what looked like an open weekend with the wives and family shooting comp at Wangettii? Is that an annual thing?

SteveL

#6 Postby SteveL » Tue May 23, 2017 4:26 pm

Come down any Sunday, very friendly club, all are welcome.

Steve

Return to “General Forum”