F/Standard V FTR

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

Trevor Rhodes

F/Standard V FTR

#1 Postby Trevor Rhodes » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:58 pm

There is a push to get rid of F/S in favour of FTR which is a national discipline where we can all go overseas and complete.So we can have 2 grades less at PMs which would be a great saving to clubs and associations as a 2 day PM less 12 range prizes and at lest 6 badges WOW. Only one little problem those F/Standard shooter are unique to Australia and as for going overseas how many would actually go. The grass root shooters just shoot on their home range shooting F/Stand as it is the most cost efficient of all the F/Class Shooting. Looking a numbers at prize meetings in Victoria FTR only have 1 or 2 represent except for 6 shoots where numbers were up. As F/Standard numbers are are a lot more than FTR and Open but together. Conclusion F/Standard subsidies others disciplines so if any one is to go who then, certainly not standard.

jasmay

Re: F/Standard V FTR

#2 Postby jasmay » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:17 pm

1) Who/where is this push coming from?

2) Explain this never ending myth that FTR is more expensive, Simply not true, F-std gear, particularly those used by the top end shooters is by far more expensive.

3) FTR is growing under its own steam, why push anyone out, just let them do their own thing.

Wal86

#3 Postby Wal86 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:25 pm

We all like shooting, right? Don't you think there are enough powers to be trying to restrict our sport without us eating our own?
(So to speak)

Cheers

Alan

mike H

#4 Postby mike H » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:25 pm

Trevor,
I assume you are having a stir,I hope you are not a card carrying member of the Hate FTR Group.
Mike.

Pommy Chris

#5 Postby Pommy Chris » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:30 pm

Some got out of the wrong side of the bed..:) Look FTR is what it is, we all want to shoot and do our thing. Reality is F standards in time will go to FTR probably as it is international. That said nobody really cares everyone just wants good numbers on ranges no matter what discipline. As shooters we cant fight among ourselves, the Clan's in Scotland made that mistake a long time ago the rest was history we need to stick together..
Chris

DannyS

#6 Postby DannyS » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:48 am

How quick we forget. Anyone who read the thread re restricting bullet weights in ftr to 155.9 should understand where Trev is coming from.

Cheers
DannyS
You might as well be yourself, everyone else is already taken.

Matt P

#7 Postby Matt P » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:01 am

Hi All
I haven't heard of any push to remove FS, but from an OPM/Queens point of view there is to many grades. In my opinion this was part of the reason the <156 grain for FTR was supported at the recent ICFRA meeting held in Canada. At the recent NSW Queens numbers were as follows FSA and B around 31, FO 21 and FTR 8 (give or take) so FS is still the biggest FC but in Queensland FTR numbers make up a bigger percentage.
In the future if FTR numbers continue grow and TR numbers declining, I can see TR C grade going and FS becoming a single grade. I can't see FS being removed as the numbers are just too big.
For those that feel strongly about it, I suggest you get onto your State Association Councils and apply pressure on the NRAA Board.
Matt P

Trevor Rhodes

#8 Postby Trevor Rhodes » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:19 am

Mike l don't hate FTR as l have a FTR rifle myself, what I'm saying is the NRAA wanted to get rid of standard as it was on there agenda a few years ago but decided that TR and Standard use powders and projectiles that they make money out of. You also hear a lot of people say F/Standard should go.As l said at the grass roots there is a heaps of members just turn up at the home range to shoot with there changed over rifles. You would simply lose these valuable assets to all clubs and our movement.

Barry Davies

#9 Postby Barry Davies » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:03 am

You worry too much Trev. Nobody takes any notice of those who bleat about doing away with FS --just painful bleating.
Look at the numbers --there are simply too many FS shooters that to contemplate getting rid of FS in favour of F/TR would be political suicide.
The NRAA have made their decision re FS so lets just get on with it.
Who cares if there are 7 grades -badges don't cost much.

bartman007

#10 Postby bartman007 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:14 am

Hey Trev,

You would find that most prize meetings typically run over 300/500/600 yards. With that said, 155gn projies shot out of a 308 will be similar to whatever the FTR crowd are playing with.

FStd scores are typically on a par with FTR, so with small cost (a different bipod) FStd shooters could shoot FTR instead. Those currently in FStd that aspire to shoot internationaly will make that decision on their own.

It really is up to the shooters as to what discipline they will compete in. If the numbers don't support it, then a class may drop off the list in the interests of providing some decent level of competition.

Keep shooting and forget about the rumours that abound.
###

Trevor Rhodes

#11 Postby Trevor Rhodes » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:26 am

I go to every prize meeting in Victoria and see the declining numbers, to fix this problem of low entries in all grades is for every one to get off their ass and attend an extra meeting or so and that only can solve all the problems.Get club members to go with you and then they will get the bug, PM's are great ways for people to socialize and then number will pick up again.

BillB

#12 Postby BillB » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:42 am

I am a FOpen shooter and in the process of building a FTR rifle this will allow me to shoot
FStandard as well .
FStandard should beleft as is we all can choose what we want but should it be changed can i have your rest Trev :D
Bill

Return to “General Forum”