How to mount a new foresight

If you shoot full-bore, then you're welcome to use this forum to discuss your sport.

Moderator: Mod

Daniel

How to mount a new foresight

#1 Postby Daniel » Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:26 pm

G'day legends;

Looking for how people would set up a new front tunnel on a target rifle. How do you folks do it? What are the traps that might catch me out?

Thanking you all in anticipation.

Rich4

Re: How to mount a new foresight

#2 Postby Rich4 » Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:36 pm

Use a level between front and rear sights (on a surface true to travel) providing they are parallel to each other everything else is irrelevant, otherwise you will get funky windage with elevation

RJNEILSEN

#3 Postby RJNEILSEN » Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:02 pm

Start by getting the rear sight level. You need a small spirit level sitting ontop of the rear sight. rotate the rifle until the rear sight is level. I normally put pieces of paper under one of the bipod legs until the rear sight is level. Then mount your front sight and rotate it until the integral spirit level is level. Then tighten the front sight screws and check both levels are still level. Don't over tighten the front sight screws. Aluminum threads are easier to strip than steel.

Daniel, if you don't have a suitable spirit level to sit on the rear sight, I can post one to you.

Cheers,
Ryan.

Gyro

#4 Postby Gyro » Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:33 pm

...... "what are the traps that might catch me out?" ......

There's many Daniel. I say TAKE IT TO A PRO.

Many think they can do work like this properly and many will just f@#k it up. I might sound rude here ( again ) but with forums people often think they can just find the right info and then go ahead .....

Rich4

#5 Postby Rich4 » Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:54 pm

And some will even if shown and instructed with a big stick, if this can’t be achieved I’d question the individual’s ability to walk OR chew gum, certainly not both together

pjifl

#6 Postby pjifl » Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:47 am

As already stated, the only thing that really matters is that the rear sight be vertical when shooting.

From that point on, the 'Master' level is the one that you can see when shooting. Thus it should be on or in the foresight for a TR shooter. Or the cross bar in the foresight be parallel to the reasight if there is no front level in the foresight.

There is no requirement that the rifle be leveled when shooting - as long as the rear sight vertical post is truly constantly vertical when shooting.

Older rearsights usually had a method of adjusting tilt of the rearsight to suite.

Many supposedly more modern more sophisticated rear sights have no such adjustment so this ultimately controls the setup and the foresight must be matched to it. This forces the rifle to be level which may not even be the most comfortable grip. Quite primitive, really.

Peter Smith.

Daniel

#7 Postby Daniel » Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:40 pm

Thanks for the info. It'll be put into practice this weekend while it's raining - provided the maybeology department get it right.

Thanks again.

Return to “Full-bore/Target Rifle”