PRS IS COMING , WE HAVE TO EVOLVE !

We want to hear what your club is doing to bring in new members. Tell us what works, and give credit to those who are making the effort.

Moderator: Mod

MarkS

Re: PRS IS COMING , WE HAVE TO EVOLVE !

#121 Postby MarkS » Mon Sep 26, 2022 5:02 pm

dazza284 wrote: when I found out PRS was at fixed Ranges I didn't bother .

What do you mean by "fixed ranges" dazza ?
Going broke one primer at a time

Dave_P

#122 Postby Dave_P » Mon Sep 26, 2022 5:25 pm

ACT Inaugural PSR comp...Monday and Tuesday before the ACT Queens

https://www.canberrarifleclub.com.au/general-4

PSR Competition

Mon 14 Nov - 200m to 500yds – 70 Shots

Tue 15 Nov - 300m to 600m – 70 Shots
Last edited by Dave_P on Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dazza284

#123 Postby dazza284 » Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:15 pm

MarkS wrote:
dazza284 wrote: when I found out PRS was at fixed Ranges I didn't bother .

What do you mean by "fixed ranges" dazza ?

Like a vra rifle range instead of in some lovely mountain Gully system with different up angles down angles across narrow valleys aorus system of Hills and Gullies like farmland up in Buchan area hope you familiar with it the way the game should be played like a golf course if you understand what I mean

dazza284

#124 Postby dazza284 » Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:17 pm

Mark I see you are in Queensland forget the quote about Buchan it's an area of farmland that is very hilly would be fantastic for the sport.

MarkS

#125 Postby MarkS » Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:57 pm

Aha, thanks dazza;
The NRL(now defunct) and PRS matches run in the USA are often held on private ranches.
Hence they do not need to comply with set rifle range approved templates.

If you hunt and you want to confidently and ethically make hits then this is a discipline to help anyone hone their skills.
In fact if you just want to quickly and confidently make an elevation and wind hold the events are amazing practice and verification.
Pretty humbling the first time someones tries to hit targets at three different distances, from four different positions in 90seconds.
Attending a few "PRS" style matches may help you develop some further skills with your rifle, scope and ammunition system.
I know the first match I attended was a big wake up call - I didn't know my reticle (FFP versus SFP is a must), I couldn't quickly confirm my holdovers and had no idea what trace was : )

As you mentioned, high angle shooting and in being in open country would be magic. Maybe possible on a mates property.
There is no way a match could be run in Aus like the USA with both compliance and liability risks.

One range in our area now allows magazine feeding with RO approval so guys can test their rifles, mags and loads.
They signed up over two dozen new members this month and I know a bunch of new guys are going next week.

The clubs/ranges that embrace new events and members will survive (and make some good money along the way to help cover costs).
The clubs that want to "fight" change will see their ranges become what they actually are, large plots of land worth a LOT of money to develop.
In numbers there's strength.

cheech

#126 Postby cheech » Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:31 pm

MarkS wrote:Aha, thanks dazza;
The NRL(now defunct) and PRS matches run in the USA are often held on private ranches.
Hence they do not need to comply with set rifle range approved templates.

If you hunt and you want to confidently and ethically make hits then this is a discipline to help anyone hone their skills.
In fact if you just want to quickly and confidently make an elevation and wind hold the events are amazing practice and verification.
Pretty humbling the first time someones tries to hit targets at three different distances, from four different positions in 90seconds.
Attending a few "PRS" style matches may help you develop some further skills with your rifle, scope and ammunition system.
I know the first match I attended was a big wake up call - I didn't know my reticle (FFP versus SFP is a must), I couldn't quickly confirm my holdovers and had no idea what trace was : )

As you mentioned, high angle shooting and in being in open country would be magic. Maybe possible on a mates property.
There is no way a match could be run in Aus like the USA with both compliance and liability risks.

One range in our area now allows magazine feeding with RO approval so guys can test their rifles, mags and loads.
They signed up over two dozen new members this month and I know a bunch of new guys are going next week.

The clubs/ranges that embrace new events and members will survive (and make some good money along the way to help cover costs).
The clubs that want to "fight" change will see their ranges become what they actually are, large plots of land worth a LOT of money to develop.
In numbers there's strength.

Perfectly said couldn’t agree more

flatlina

#127 Postby flatlina » Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:49 am

We utilize the NRAA Range every year when we run the Nightforce Heatstroke PRS Match here in Darwin. Usually, it is on the Sunday and run multiple stages.

Mick_762

#128 Postby Mick_762 » Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:49 pm

flatlina wrote:We utilize the NRAA Range every year when we run the Nightforce Heatstroke PRS Match here in Darwin. Usually, it is on the Sunday and run multiple stages.

I would like to see a “Sunday a Month” that the DRC opens for PRC practice.
Wanna chat?

Would also like to see 600m IBS (no, not irritable bowel syndrome, though i am sure it will give some “the shits”) for a start, then kick off 1000 (meter) we are a metric range BR.

This will work “Hand in Hand” with the Darwin SSAA to offer another discipline of extended range precision shooting.
David Mickel
Darwin Rifle Club

flatlina

#129 Postby flatlina » Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:14 am

We have talked about this Dave. It would be beneficial to both clubs. It is possible with the management DRC now has. Unfortunately, I'm off on a road trip this Monday and won't be back until sometime in the New Year.

BD28

#130 Postby BD28 » Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:45 pm

Matt P wrote:Yeah those muzzle brakes are very scary !!! Some of you F Class shooters are starting to sound like the dinosaurs Rod's talking about.
The only part of the SSR's that you can't change are rules that concern safety or range standing orders !!!!!
You could include a muzzle brake class at the Queens if you wanted to, there was recently a Club in Victoria that catered for PRS style guns at their TR/FC OPM, I believe attendance was very good.
We (NRAA movement) need to be much more open to change and be more inviting to other forms of shootings and rifles, we only have around 7000 member across Australia and we're losing them quicker than they're being replaced. If we don't open our minds where will we be in 5 years ????
Matt P

Seems this thread has been resurrected. Matt P, as per your post it is just about 5 years on. Any idea where the numbers are sitting now for NRAA membership nationally?

MarkS

#131 Postby MarkS » Fri Oct 21, 2022 5:10 pm

BD28 wrote:Seems this thread has been resurrected. Matt P, as per your post it is just about 5 years on. Any idea where the numbers are sitting now for NRAA membership nationally?

What is your point asking about membership numbers BD28?

Lithgow

#132 Postby Lithgow » Sat Oct 22, 2022 9:10 am

BD28 wrote:Seems this thread has been resurrected. Matt P, as per your post it is just about 5 years on. Any idea where the numbers are sitting now for NRAA membership nationally?

The NRAA website has 14870 current SIDs.....
Steve G
Nowra Rifle Club NSW

BD28

#133 Postby BD28 » Sat Oct 22, 2022 11:57 am

MarkS wrote:

What is your point asking about membership numbers BD28?

Was just interested to see where they were at 4-5 years on from when this thread started.

Return to “Helping F-Class to Grow”