Newbie needing some advice

We want to hear what your club is doing to bring in new members. Tell us what works, and give credit to those who are making the effort.

Moderator: Mod

Julian D

Newbie needing some advice

#1 Postby Julian D » Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:39 am

Not even sure if this is allowed, discussing PRS on here, let me know if it's not.

I would like to give PRS a go, and would appreciate any advice you guys/ladies can give me.
I have a Sako stainless 75 which will be the donor rifle and it has a NF varmint scope on it, it has the hash marks for both windage & elevation, plus it has the illuminated reticle, so I am assuming that will be OK for now.

Is that particular stock suitable ? or would a tactical type be better ? And what brands are you using ?
As far as calibre, what are most people using ? This one is 22-250 & I have a 308 barrel for it also, but would prefer to go down the 6mm route. Never owned one & would like to experiment with that sized projectile.

Is there anything in particular I need to know ?
What barrel diameter & length do most people use ?
Is a brake needed on a 6mm ?
It has a Harris bipod on it, and again, what are you guys/ladies using ?

I don't know shit from clay, so any help would be appreciated.

Our range is still shut, so just about given up on F class, and want to try something different.

Matt P

Re: Newbie needing some advice

#2 Postby Matt P » Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:52 am

To get started all you really need is a caliber that stays super sonic at the max range you're shooting.
Things that are highly recommended that the 75 doesn't have is a 10 round magazine.
I shoot PRS (Precision Service Rifle, which will be added to the SSR's early next year) there are 2 classes NATO (223 and 308) and Open.
The normal recipe for a rifle is a repeater action (700 clone), Mcmillan A series stock or one of the many chassis on the market, 10 round magazine and FFP scope.
Here's a link for some more info on PSR https://www.facebook.com/ServiceRifle/
Matt P

cheech

#3 Postby cheech » Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:54 am

Build and use what is comfortable and accurate , some “tactical “ stocks are more of a hindrance than anything else and I’m sure 80% of the rifles are built for looks not function
Is your Sako 75 the varmint model in laminate stock as this will probably do ok with good bedding etc , the mag / loading system is excellent , I have same model I use up Bush and I have no worries of fast accurate shots , off a Harris bipod too .

Barrel weight will be limiting with this action just check with gunsmith

Barrel length , 26” plus muzzle brake is plenty for all ranges , maybe even shorter if not going out to 1000 yds/ mtrs if you can keep it shorter it will be more balanced and you could afford to go a bit heavier profile as barrels tend to heat up faster in these matches .

Caliber , if you have 22-250 size action , 308 may work ok , 6.5 x47 , 6x47 , 6.5 SLR , magazine length will determine what it can accommodate plus how it feeds which is important for avoiding jam ups.

Scope NF BR elevation turret numbers/lines can get you lost on the wrong setting, is not the greatest for fast changes but can be used . A scope with 10 - 15 moa per revolution is nice 20 is better . Using your reticle for hold off is ok - just need to practice it a lot , this area is most important.

All the best

Tim N

#4 Postby Tim N » Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:25 am

Hey Julian
Matt mentioned the issue of 10 round mag for your sako.
If you can find a competent sheet metal worker they might be able to extend your mag then you will have to figure out the spring.
I thought about prs using a sako a while back and that’s what I’d try.

Shame about your range- must have been all the dangerous incidents over the years :roll:
If “they”(whoever they are) were worried about dangerous sports most of the popular ones would be banned as a result of actual incidents...

Good luck with the PRS and shotgunning
We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training. Archilochos 680-645 BC

Julian D

#5 Postby Julian D » Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:42 am

Thanks guys for the help.
Will give you a call Matt, we are wandering down your way after Christmas, so might be able to drop in to see you, although I can only imagine how busy you will be for the next 14 months or so ...... if you weren't busy enough already.

It is the stainless, laminate, varmint model Cheech, even with factory ammo it is surprisingly accurate, and owned it for about 18 yrs, so fairly comfortable with it.

Been playing around at home changing out magazines, and can do it fairly efficiently, so at this stage will probably just go that way Tim, for now at least. I think if I enjoy the discipline, I may as well build a dedicated rifle, can never have too many I reckon.

As far as our club is concerned, it is a real shame how it has all unfolded. It was a military range, and they no longer needed/wanted it, so offered it to the local council, but it didn't comply with current regulations, and so the saga began.
Won't air my dirty laundry on here,( not too much anyway ), but I personally believe if we had an intelligent management committee (local club level), we would not be in this situation. Because there is so much at stake, even the possibility of losing it as a range forever, the state or national level committee should have been consulted at least, or better still, it should have been handed over to them. I have no doubt, they would be better versed in handling something like this .... My short lived F class career was basically left in the hands of people incapable of understanding the complexity of the situation.

Anyway, rant over.

Thanks again guys for your advice, much appreciated.

ShaneG

#6 Postby ShaneG » Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:27 am

Hi Julian
I haven't competed at PRS but been watching on sidelines .
I think you need a 10 round mag and regardless of caliber I would use a brake.
You need to spot the hits/ misses yourself for any correction required.
I set up a Tikka CTR with the 24" barrel in 6.5CM to mess with but never got the time unfortunately so have sold it
It had the set trigger option; 2 x 10 shot mags and a brake. One of the better factory options in my opinion.
Had 120 Scenar L shooting well. Tikka barrels are as good as any after market match barrel I believe.
The main issue here in Qld I see is similar to your range situation with WLB view of shooting steel at UKD.

MarkS

#7 Postby MarkS » Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:33 am

Hi Julian,
I shoot F Class and I shoot PRS. Yes they should be discussed here (IMO) as we should encourage any shooting that increases interest in the overall sport. Strength in numbers and PRS is growing at good rate.

First thing you should do is just get to any PRS match you can.
My first match back in Feb was a total disaster, nothing worked for me. I also had the best day at the range I've ever had and have been hooked ever since. The guys at the match could not have been more welcoming, generous with loaning you gear(non of my mags would feed and I had no bags) and basically just helping you get impacts.
You will learn heaps from watching and asking others about their gear.
Tonnes of real world info on precisionrifleblog.com check out "What the Pros use"
You can't shoot 22-250, max MV is 3200fps, I'm assuming yours is faster..... Run with .308
You have all you need to start in PRS - a rifle under 30cal, under 3200fps with a hash marked reticle.

The number one thing you MUST know before going to a match is your elevation data.
Figuring out positional shooting, using bags to get more stable, etc all come later. You have to know what to hold/dial at all distances or you're just wasting your time.
Example, Go shoot the .308 at any range be it 400m or 700m and then print out data off JBM Ballistics online to match you rifles actual performance and then, use that to know what to hold at matches. Easy

Forget all the gear to get started. Yes, you will end up with a FFP scope, a particular stock or chassis, A GameChanger, etc but you wont know until you try a few.
And yes, you will use a muzzle brake(to minimise recoil so you can spot your own shots) so be sure to have threaded muzzles and low recoil 6mm do help. You'll see on PRB basically everyone is running a 6mm cartridge (with a few 6.5Creeds)
Most matches are 300-600m
Guys will loan you everything and then you can decide from there what you like and really need.
Australian PRS series, calendars and contacts at impactdynamics.online
Hope that helps.
Going broke one primer at a time

Jackal

#8 Postby Jackal » Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:24 pm

My advice, take whatever you have to a PRS match and get into it. Guys will lend you all the gear you need and are super keen to help new guys get into the sport.

What I found Interesting with PRS vs F-class.
My first F-class experience was welcoming some years ago, however was told I could only watch due to the distance they were shooting as I would need more training . (Fair enough) but also never got to fire a shot at any distance as they were busy so that was that.
My first PRS experience, was shooting ouy to 500 metres in the first 10 mins once I confirmed zero at 100 and had guys chucking all sorts of rifles at me to test out and they were happy for me to fire away as my heart was content while they were running a match less than 15 metres away.
The PRS system seems more relaxed, you can shoot any sort of rifle you like. This post isn’t to have a dig, just wanted to explain as a newbie to target shooting what it was like with the different disciplines.

Wingnut

#9 Postby Wingnut » Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:00 pm

That’s a bit of a disappointment Jackal. At my local club we are actively encouraging people to bring out what they have and to shoot it in the Hunter class section. We even go so far as to get them out early, confirm zeros (use a club members LabRadar to get velocities) and help them set up a ballistic app to help with elevations etc.

We have a couple of members who shoot both, and we are very mindful of not trying to badmouth any other shooting discipline as they all have their nuances that require mastering. There are so many benefits for PRS and F-class if people can look beyond their own biases and see the benefits that each sport can offer the other. It also says a lot about how first impressions can make or break growth in our sport. Something we all need to start paying attention to.

Jackal

#10 Postby Jackal » Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:39 pm

Wingnut wrote:That’s a bit of a disappointment Jackal. At my local club we are actively encouraging people to bring out what they have and to shoot it in the Hunter class section. We even go so far as to get them out early, confirm zeros (use a club members LabRadar to get velocities) and help them set up a ballistic app to help with elevations etc.

We have a couple of members who shoot both, and we are very mindful of not trying to badmouth any other shooting discipline as they all have their nuances that require mastering. There are so many benefits for PRS and F-class if people can look beyond their own biases and see the benefits that each sport can offer the other. It also says a lot about how first impressions can make or break growth in our sport. Something we all need to start paying attention to.

All clubs are different and I’m sure as you say many F class clubs are awesome. I think it is super important to be positive about all disciplines as after all we are all shooters.
I will certainly give it another go at some stage and the above story was over 8 years ago now so things change quickly.
Shoot straight fellas

Return to “Helping F-Class to Grow”