Something Needs to be Done

We want to hear what your club is doing to bring in new members. Tell us what works, and give credit to those who are making the effort.

Moderator: Mod

DannyS

#166 Postby DannyS » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:37 am

Hunter class, Alan :idea:

Malcolm Hill

#167 Postby Malcolm Hill » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:55 am

We have found at Port Pirie that it is very hard or not the norm to get people in the gate to start shooting fullbore. Most that give it a go for the first time are more interested in shooting off a rest with a scope.I have no problem with this, the most important thing is to get them started the most enjoyable way possible which gives the best chance of giving them the interest to stay on and become a member. The event which has captured the most is a 300 metre shoot that we hold on the last Saturday of the month and is open to any rifle and sight combination.It is a 2 and 20 shot competition on the 300 mt ISSF target and is a handicap event with new shooters having a 40 handicap to start with. I usually have a spare 223 F class rifle and plenty of ammo for anyone that may turn up for a go and even people that haven't used a rifle before can be coached to a good score which gives them the interest to come back again. If you can't give them that interest to return you are wasting your time trying to gain members. A spin off event is a 200 yard shoot that we try to hold on Sunday's (on the same target) for sporting rifles only, which is like an unofficial come and try day, where members assist one on one with people to get their hunting rifles grouping well and sighted in at that distance. We are getting quite an interest in this to the point that we have had our range re evaluated and ok'd to allow the use of up to 45-70 type calibres at the shorter distances. It's quite a bit of fun keeping those in the middle on a windy day. If every member keeps their eye out for prospective new shooters and brings them for a visit and they can have a shot with pleasing results it gives the best chance of increasing membership.
Regards Malcolm.

Norm

#168 Postby Norm » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:26 am

I think that the priority should be to not let any more ranges close due to lack of interest in Full Bore shooting. (TR and F-class).
There are two ranges that I know that could possibly close in the next 5 years due to the age profile of the members and the low membership numbers.

On the other forum there are some comments on the polls that have been running. Here is a typical commment that sums up why we have trouble gaining members.

While, F-class is good long range practice, informal plinking with mates at the range can be just as rewarding.
At my local SSAA range I can rock up any day of the year, shoot from daylight to dark, from 50m to 500m and I can do it in my own time. I shoot groups for accuracy, hit small steel gongs from 200m to 500m and I can vary my shooting positions. Bench, prone, sitting, supported (steel pole), offhand , whatever you can think of. Occasionally try weak side shooting. I'm not sure if it's the weak side shooting or the laughing causing the erratic shots...
You can single shot or let a mag go.

Have a coke break, chat, pick up a different rifle ( while waiting for barrels to cool ) and do it all over again.

At your own leisure.

Usually there wouldn't be anybody else even at the range.

AlanF

#169 Postby AlanF » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:43 am

Norm,

That implies more than just a new class or format. It also implies a more relaxed attitude to safety (unaccompanied use of the range). I think that's something which would be a big ask. But the relaxed format suggested would work at the shorter ranges where marking isn't required.

Alan

OuttaAmmo

#170 Postby OuttaAmmo » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:39 am

You would think that if the police deemed you responsible and fit to hold a firearms licence and own firearms, you would be ok to shoot at the range "unaccompanied".

I don't see the issue there.

AlanF

#171 Postby AlanF » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:46 am

OuttaAmmo wrote:You would think that if the police deemed you responsible and fit to hold a firearms licence and own firearms, you would be ok to shoot at the range "unaccompanied".

I don't see the issue there.

The issue relates to existing safety rules and how changing them may affect things like insurance, range templates etc. which are conditional on them.

Norm

#172 Postby Norm » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:36 pm

I think a Sporter Class, form of F-Class would be a good starting point as well.
It would get all the rifle owners out there with factory rifles a place to shoot long range.
How about we start a new thread and then brain-storm the format and rules etc?

bruce moulds

#173 Postby bruce moulds » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:07 pm

you need to keep it to 200 & 300.
this is because most hunting rifles are not scoped and do not have the comeups for longer. they also don't have the dials.
also barrel twists won't cater for much more than this.
for such a class to work, it would be worth considering disallowing fast twist 223 and 308 rifles, so that the 22/250 and 243 class of rifle can compete.
keep safe,
bruce.
"SUCH IS LIFE" Edward Kelly 11 nov 1880
http://youtu.be/YRaRCCZjdTM

Bindi2

#174 Postby Bindi2 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:13 pm

I have never been hunting with anyone whos rifle was not scoped and over powered for what they needed. Pig shooting is different where red dots or open sights reign.

Barry Davies

#175 Postby Barry Davies » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:54 am

Well, here we are 12 pages down the track, plenty of ideas but have not seen anything that fits in with what we do now.
I think Norm's last post sums it up pretty well --the comments in colour RED.
With due respects to tactical style shooting, it's not for us.
In a nutshell I rather think that we should put our efforts into increasing numbers without introducing other disciplines, or variations of what exists.
I see no reason why we should change anything about what we do now and how we do it.
Actually I don't believe F Class as such is the one that's suffering, -- it's TR that has the problems.
The rapid increase in F Class numbers over the past couple of years or so simply says to me that F Class is pretty healthy, all be it probably at the expense of TR,-- that's life.
TR and F Class are what we have made them - if somehow this concept is restricting growth then some rather drastic changes are necessary.
The doomsdayers within our ranks need to go and reflect somewhat, and by that I mean sit in front of a mirror for a while and contemplate.
Last Sunday at our range we were visited by an interested father with two sons, also interested. Just an average family looking for something to do.
How do you tell people like this that they need to outlay at least $3000 ( and that's just for one reasonable rifle and some reloading gear) then continue to pay at least $60 per visit to partake? ( ammo +barrel wear )
That's what it is, I know, but I can think of other forms of entertainment where $ 3000 is a lifetime investment and one does not have to upkeep it to the tune of $60 per time.
This is our major problem -cost, and it will be cost that kills us eventually.
My take.
Barry

Wakey7

#176 Postby Wakey7 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:13 am

In my opinion F Standard and F Open have become too much alike. Front rests, high powered scopes and more choice of high priced projectiles has seen F/S keep pace with F/O in the bank balance department.

MAYBE F/S could ( should ) have stayed with Ex T/R rifles on bipods and basic ammo so that new shooters could dip their toe into the sport for less money and still be competative and have F/O as the experimenters and die hard shooters class.

Lynn Otto

#177 Postby Lynn Otto » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:32 am

Wakey7 wrote: MAYBE F/S could ( should ) have stayed with Ex T/R rifles on bipods

Well maybe, if they had ever been that, the reality is that the above combination was never the criteria of the class. If the current set up for F Std bothers people then they have the option of F/TR which more closely resembles that scenario.

AlanF

#178 Postby AlanF » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:44 am

Barry Davies wrote:...In a nutshell I rather think that we should put our efforts into increasing numbers without introducing other disciplines, or variations of what exists.
I see no reason why we should change anything about what we do now and how we do it...

Barry, the first time I met you, you announced you were a stirrer. I trust that was said just to stir up some debate....

Lynn Otto

#179 Postby Lynn Otto » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:04 am

AlanF wrote:
Barry Davies wrote:...In a nutshell I rather think that we should put our efforts into increasing numbers without introducing other disciplines, or variations of what exists.
I see no reason why we should change anything about what we do now and how we do it...

Barry, the first time I met you, you announced you were a stirrer. I trust that was said just to stir up some debate....

:lol: :lol: ...and how well do you know Barry?

Barry Davies

#180 Postby Barry Davies » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:16 am

Alan,
Some people stir, some sit back, do nothing, say nothing, and then stir when all does not go their way.
I'm not sure your comment is relevant, unless of course your intention is to stir me,--won't work.
I say what I think -- to be selective and segregate portions of what I say without looking at the whole picture is just plain politics.
I think that if you do not have anything constructive to say about my comments, best you say nothing.
Barry

Return to “Helping F-Class to Grow”