Something Needs to be Done

We want to hear what your club is doing to bring in new members. Tell us what works, and give credit to those who are making the effort.

Moderator: Mod

DannyS

#61 Postby DannyS » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:30 pm

And Barry, they all shoot very well, was it your genes or Jennys. Just stirring :)

OuttaAmmo

#62 Postby OuttaAmmo » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:32 pm

Maybe in this day and age we have to utilize the services of Facebook and twitter!

For most people it is a time thing. I have a mate who I think would like to shoot, but as he once said to me, "it's a long day for just 20 shots."
If I don't go it is because I'm also busy. It does end up being a long day.

And while I don't mean any disrespect, usually when a TR shooter is on the mound it feels as though time has stood still.
I'd much prefer score for a F class shooter, like machine gun Harry :lol:

Intimidation: for someone who shoots already at the SSAA, I think this is a big obstacle. The ranges seem so far ( the closet is 300 m!!!) and you don't want to turn up and embarrass yourself. Especially with a different looking rifle.

RAVEN

#63 Postby RAVEN » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:36 pm

Very interesting topic which is close to my heart

I have with the help of the FCASA members strived to build the profile of F-Class and the sport in general with some success and some failures.
Our latest venture to open up the sport of long range shooting to a wide audience as been met by ppl in high place condemning the FCASA of trying to do away with FS.

That is one of the reasons that some areas aren’t growing because some individuals are to busy guarding their own dung heap at any cost no VISION or FORWARD THINKING.!!

I also feel that there’s growing envy or jealousy don't quiet know why.
Through our hi profile promotion of events eg FTR 2012 Queens and other projects the TR fraternity are becoming more disgruntled but still sit on their hands and do nothing.

It’s always an FClass person that goes up to a visitor and asks would you like a shot?

The TR guys just stand around and don’t engage giving visitor a reason to return is very important and its quite simply just make them feel wanted and find out what they would like to do. A comment I have herd many times is they went to such and such rifle range and they were looked at like they had 2 heads.

Our State Assoc would prefer to build new accommodation at many thousands $$ than build a 300m range that the public could use at a cost and pay for new range infrastructure with that income.

SSAA range charges $40 per day pass and there are ppl there 7 days a week.

If that rage facility was promoted properly it could turn over 2-5k per week.
So that’s what we are up against no wonder it’s all going backwards.

At a club level we had 8 new members last year so things are looking very healthy on that front.

We as a sport are in competition for ppls time when we start respecting that fact I’m sure we will move forward.

RB

mike H

#64 Postby mike H » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:53 pm

Raven,
Every year when I visit your State range,I leave thinking what a great place it would be if it had a covered 500 metre range,to compliment the existing ranges.
Mike.

RAVEN

#65 Postby RAVEN » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:48 pm

Mike we have a great range facility that is underutilised
You need to provide the shooting public what they need and from that the Assoc. will gain new members.
Hundreds of ppl buy firearms every year the one big thing they don't have is somewhere to use them and I don't understand why this isn't recognised if it were a business it would go broke but then that's what happening isn't it ???
RB

10FPAT

#66 Postby 10FPAT » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:53 pm

[quote="RAVEN"]Mike we have a great range facility that is underutilised
You need to provide the shooting public what they need and from that the Assoc. will gain new members.
Hundreds of ppl buy firearms every year the one big thing they don't have is somewhere to use them and I don't understand why this isn't recognised if it were a business it would go broke but then that's what happening isn't it ???
RB[/quote]

Raven,
You are dead right, as are a lot of others that have posted on this thread.
I'm a Very casual F class shooter & a member at Mt Barker. My primary focus is on IPSC pistol shooting but decided to take up a bit of F class so I could use some of my longer range rifles. The regular members of MT Barker (& prior to there MBRC) have been nothing but friendly & helpful but from a pure outsider looking in I can see the writing on the wall if the association is not willing to embrace change. I forcast that over the next 5 - 10 years a lot of fullbore ranges will potentialy become SSAA or similar ranges.

My primary interest lies in "practical" type courses and the Members of the SSAA ACT inconjuction with NRA ACT have put together a match that they run at least 3 or 4 times a year & are gathering a small but loyal following, I had an interest in trying to get this match off the ground here in SA & emailed SARA to see if we would be able to use the Lower Light range. A couple of emails went back & forth with Paul Gale & he said he would present my request at the then upcoming State Council meeting.
He also suggested I contact the Service rifle club & talk to them about it but I thought I would wait & see what the outcome of the council meeting was, but heard nothing back from SARA until one of my rare shoots at MT Barker when the Club Captain spoke to me about it and basically told me that SARA had no interest in supporting the match.

I think the match has the potential to bring a lot of shooters that have the equipment along to try it out the match is shot over different distances every time & there would be no need to make it too hard so as to ease people in as it were.

Below is a copy of the flyer I sent to SARA for their information

10FPAT

[i]ACT Combined Services Discipline
in conjunction with SSAA and ACT National Rifle Association
Invite You To The Fifth
Canberra Tactical and Long Range Championships
(SSAA Combined Service Discipline – T/F1/F2 Class)

Sunday 12th August 2012
8.30am – Sign on and squad allocation. Shooting commences immediately thereafter at approx 9.00am.
Course of Fire (COF):

Range Type Target Rounds Position Timing Match Conditions
800m Forced
Deliberate MG 10 Prone 10 x 25 secs 1 round per single exposure

800m Bonus Shot Fig 14 1 Prone 60 secs Fig 14 Bonus 5 points

700m Snap MG 10 Prone 10 x 3 secs 1 round per exposure

600m
Rapid
Realignment
Figure 11/ Figure 12 10 Prone 5 x 5 secs 1 round per target per exposure.

500m Agony Snap Figure 12 10 Prone 10 x 3 secs 1 round per exposure
Exposures random over 10 min period.
400m Rapid Figure 11 10 Sitting/Kneeling 1 x 60 Sec 10 rnds per single exposure. Sticks/Support allowed

Entry Fee: $50

Location: National Rifle Association Range- Majura Rd, Majura – Canberra, ACT
BBQ Lunch will be made available
Competitors to arrange their own accommodation - Camping available on SSAA range ($10 per night)

Further inquiries contact Simon Ross on (02) 62295130 or (04) 21 059 614.
Shooting and Safety rules as per SSAA Combined Services Rules[/i]

AlanF

#67 Postby AlanF » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:48 am

OuttaAmmo wrote:Maybe in this day and age we have to utilize the services of Facebook and twitter!

For most people it is a time thing. I have a mate who I think would like to shoot, but as he once said to me, "it's a long day for just 20 shots."
If I don't go it is because I'm also busy. It does end up being a long day.

And while I don't mean any disrespect, usually when a TR shooter is on the mound it feels as though time has stood still.
I'd much prefer score for a F class shooter, like machine gun Harry :lol:

Intimidation: for someone who shoots already at the SSAA, I think this is a big obstacle. The ranges seem so far ( the closet is 300 m!!!) and you don't want to turn up and embarrass yourself. Especially with a different looking rifle.

This is the sort of information we need to gather - honest opinions on why full bore (including F-Class) shooting can be unattractive to outsiders. We may not want to hear it, but listening to it could be the key to turning things around. I think the best way to get the information is via properly targeted anonymous questionnaires. How can this be organised? Should it be done nationally or would it be good enough to choose an area with a typical mix of city/country and NRAA/SSAA activity. Maybe we can form a voluntary group from our forum membership to devise a questionnaire that can be handed for example to people who visit a range then decide not to join. We have quite good numbers of Victorians in the membership, and we know Vic has a problem. Would a Vic only survey give worthwhile information for all States/Territories?

Suggestions please.

Alan

Norm

#68 Postby Norm » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:52 am

As a member of Para Park cooperative that owns Sunday island. We try and maintain a membership of 200.
To do this we have a committee that attends shooting shows and farm field days. They have a booth and man the display with various items that show the Cooperative in a good light.
Members of the public are invited to the Island for a day out and shown the facilities and what the Island has to offer for the prospective new member.

Another tactic that is used is to offer existing members a cash incentive off their annual membership fee for every new member that they sign up.

So far this system has proved successful and the cooperative has maintained a good balance of members over the last 50 years.

If State rifle associations had such a dedicated committee that went to all the gun shows etc, and then followed up on potential new members with try out days at the range. I am sure that a lot of new members could be enticed into the sport.

Interested new members could be directed to their nearest rifle club and a dedicated club member could act as their mentor to ensure that they were looked after.

bruce moulds

#69 Postby bruce moulds » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:59 am

two unrelated points.
outaammo seems to feel that fclass is better than tr because fclass is shot faster.
this is not true.
as fclass shooters learn wind reading, they too are taking the time when tactics demand this.
this is what our game is about.
bill seems to think we need to go prac/tac.
what people interested in this approach need to realize is that this could finish us off completely.
the major international disciplines are now differentiating from tac by describing themselves as "sport shooting". firearms are brightly coloured.
this is to differentiate between them and military style training.
the massacres that happen in the world all seem to involve military style weapons.
as these massacres build in number, public and political perception will swing against these type of firearms, and if we are associated with them, we will go down with them.
what we need is more fclass and tr shooters, not other disciplines that can cause us harm.
keep safe,
bruce moulds.
"SUCH IS LIFE" Edward Kelly 11 nov 1880
http://youtu.be/YRaRCCZjdTM

OuttaAmmo

#70 Postby OuttaAmmo » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:10 am

Nope, I just said it makes for a long day, especially just for 20 shots, as a mate pointed out.

AlanF

#71 Postby AlanF » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:45 am

bruce moulds wrote:two unrelated points.
outaammo seems to feel that fclass is better than tr because fclass is shot faster.
this is not true.
as fclass shooters learn wind reading, they too are taking the time when tactics demand this.
this is what our game is about.
what people interested in this approach need to realize is that this could finish us off completely.
the major international disciplines are now differentiating from tac by describing themselves as "sport shooting". firearms are brightly coloured.
the massacres that happen in the world all seem to involve military style weapons.
as these massacres build in number, public and political perception will swing against these type of firearms, and if we are associated with them, we will go down with them.
what we need is more fclass and tr shooters, not other disciplines that can cause us harm.
keep safe,
bruce moulds.

Bruce,

Like you, I'm uncomfortable about the possibility of F-Class being changed away from what it is - maybe there's a way of opening up our ranges to different shooting disciplines whilst retaining TR and F-Class unchanged. Regardless of what people are saying we need to listen. Once the information is available, then it comes a matter of eliminating the extremists and trying to accommodate the moderate majority.

Alan

10FPAT

#72 Postby 10FPAT » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:26 am

[quote="bruce moulds"]two unrelated points.
keep safe,
bruce moulds.[/quote]

Bruce,
That's not what I said at all, my point is that the Assosiation needs to embrace other types of shooting on its ranges & keep them viable.

NRA ranges are great facilitys but with the declining membership & particiaption they will eventually become something other than NRA ranges as is Alans origional point.

As for your other statement if you really belive that you are fooling yourself, the antigun fanatics want to get rid of any guns no matter what they are!

It would be great to have more F class & TR Shooters the skill & dedication to do well in both is something to be in awe of, as Iam each time I watch some very experienced shooters read the wind conditions but as someone pointed out it takes a lot of the day just to shoot 24 rnds and lots of younger people are time poor, with family commitments, work etc. It will be a challenge that is one thing for sure.

10FPAT

10FPAT

#73 Postby 10FPAT » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:30 am

[bruce moulds.[/quote]
Bruce,

Like you, I'm uncomfortable about the possibility of F-Class being changed away from what it is - maybe there's a way of opening up our ranges to different shooting disciplines whilst retaining TR and F-Class unchanged. Regardless of what people are saying we need to listen. Once the information is available, then it comes a matter of eliminating the extremists and trying to accommodate the moderate majority.

Alan[/quote]

My point exactly Alan,
NRA needs to take a leaf out of SSAA's book and start being a bit more flexible in the way it's ranges are used.

10FPAT

bruce moulds

#74 Postby bruce moulds » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:44 am

fclass and tr are international disciplines, which also includes match rifle and palma.
the nraa rulebook defines our disciplines. these disciplines are competed internationally.
to change all this is not going to be easy.
possibly the thing to do is market what we have.
this entails letting people know what we do, then convincing them that they want to do it.
a good effort here would succeed.
changing what we have is pointless until we fail at selling our current product.
marketing means getting out there in the right way, and will probably involve overcoming inertia within, particularly as success starts to happen.
raven has already made this point.
the other thing to do is actively (as opposed to passively) distance ourselves from rifles being weapons. this will mean educating the public, police, and politicians in this area, and have a policy regarding it.
the nraa has already come a long way in this area, considering our ranges were basically training grounds for militia initially.
we have a good product,
lets sell it.
keep safe,
bruce.
"SUCH IS LIFE" Edward Kelly 11 nov 1880

http://youtu.be/YRaRCCZjdTM

DaveMc

#75 Postby DaveMc » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:18 pm

Within the NRAA rulebook is Field class (and LRBR and others). Those clubs that have opened up to field class (esp northern NSW clubs) have seen club numbers bloom (e.g. 20->150). A lot of these shoot accurate 223's and 308s (although factory) and some migrate over to TR or f class.

I truly believe this is the place you are more likely to draw new members from - the general shooting community and those that enjoy the accuracy and competition component. :D

Return to “Helping F-Class to Grow”