Something Needs to be Done

We want to hear what your club is doing to bring in new members. Tell us what works, and give credit to those who are making the effort.

Moderator: Mod

DannyS

#46 Postby DannyS » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:31 am

Hi Alan,

Are you able to print off a copy of all the ideas, suggestions etc from this post and the others re membership etc and forward it to the VRA, I'm sure Rod would be happy to pass it on to Geoff Evans.

Cheers
Danny

AlanF

#47 Postby AlanF » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:55 am

Danny,

I would far rather bring everyone with us than splitting us up. I don't blame TR shooters generally for the current situation. I agree there are individuals and groups of TR shooters whose attitudes are unhelpful, but then some of us F-Class shooters have a similar attitude towards BR for example.

I see an urgent need for some forward planning so that everyone is working towards the same goals. For example, if we get some research done and find that the introduction of a new class is going to attract big numbers of shooters, then we'll know where to direct our efforts at the local level e.g. by constructing 100 and 200 mounds. We have a situation where we can't afford to restrict things to just TR and F-Class. I'm not saying we should have open slather by any means, but we need to be more willing to accept change. The alternative is that we'll continue on the current trend towards extinction.

If we as a forum group are going to act, I would like us to come up with a way of getting some quality research done on what changes are needed to turn things around. We know there are thousands of shooters out there with equipment very similar to ours. Its a matter of finding a compromise between exactly what they want and how much we are prepared to change to attract and keep them.

Alan

Eddy

#48 Postby Eddy » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:11 am

bruce moulds wrote:eddy,
are you in touch with mick, ivan, & the other guys at loxton.
i think loxton might be in your dra.
despite some initial resistance, they are now forging that club ahead.
keep safe,
bruce moulds.
Lost touch with Loxton a bit, left in '89, and been out of all shooting for a couple years due to injury, just starting my big comeback ... :wink:

Yeah, Loxton, Barmera, Waikerie = Riverland DRA (#11 ??)

DannyS

#49 Postby DannyS » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:27 am

Alan, I'm very much for all sticking together, TR and F class works well together most of the time and I think we also need to embrace other styles of shooting ie a sporter class.

Maybe we need someone to review all the points made in the last few days, consolidate it, and then pass it on to the powers that be.

Ideally it would be great to have someone from outside review the whole nraa situation, but I wonder about the cost and the preparedness of members to accept and implement any recommendations.

In the meantime clubs need to get active and encourage new members even if they want to shoot something different.

Maybe all clubs could have a come and try day promoted by the NRAA, Australia wide.

Cheers
Danny

bartman007

Come and Try days

#50 Postby bartman007 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:42 am

It would be great to see the state associations and NRAA actively advertising our sport on TV. If we advertise it as a SPORT rather than a bunch of people firing weapons, it may entice a few new members.

Let's not show all the old shooters firing with TR type equipment, but a mix of EQUIPMENT and AGE GROUPS. It needs to look modern, and appeal to young and old alike. Electronic targets, and scopies with pimped rifles can be one market that could be tapped into.

If we set 4 dates per year, where the associations actively promoted a Come and Try day at your local Rifle Range, and then of course had the backup from each DRA to provide members to help out on these dates. That would also give the sport a higher profile in the media.

We may entice some local farmers / hunters / shot gunners / pistol shooters and the like to come to our ranges, even if to simply provide awareness that we exist! After all, most ranges typically get used for a very small time slot each week, so how do members of the public get to know when we are open?

A Come and Try day would be different to the usual weekend shoot, where it is controlled as to who shoots next, and members are focused on the weekly competition. These days should be about working with prospective members, and helping them adapt their gear to shoot on our targets. And most of all, to ENJOY the experience. That way they will want to come back again!

bruce moulds

#51 Postby bruce moulds » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:39 pm

the main thing the nraa should be required to do is supply vaseline, so there is no chance of assignation caused fire on any rifle range.
over and above that, we cannot expect them to take on such a great feat of organization. each club could do it.
keep safe,
bruce.
"SUCH IS LIFE" Edward Kelly 11 nov 1880
http://youtu.be/YRaRCCZjdTM

saum2

#52 Postby saum2 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:50 pm

I agree with Norm & Bruce, IF we could get both SSAA & NRAA talking to amalgamate or use the same ranges/facilities I am sure membership would increase greatly.

Just speaking for my area, (NWVic) SSAA is 50 times the size in numbers of any NRAA club. You may ask what's wrong with the NRAA club, a previous post tells all. SSAA must have more to offer or more flexible with rules etc.
Certainly would have all shooters together sharing a similar interest & perhaps trying our TR or F-class shooting & vice versa.

Geoff

Cameron Mc

#53 Postby Cameron Mc » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:07 pm

Krakey wrote:I agree with Norm & Bruce, IF we could get both SSAA & NRAA talking to amalgamate or use the same ranges/facilities I am sure membership would increase greatly.

Just speaking for my area, (NWVic) SSAA is 50 times the size in numbers of any NRAA club. You may ask what's wrong with the NRAA club, a previous post tells all. SSAA must have more to offer or more flexible with rules etc.
Certainly would have all shooters together sharing a similar interest & perhaps trying our TR or F-class shooting & vice versa.

Geoff

Geoff

Our range is right beside the SSAA range. Most of our members are members of SSAA and vise versa.
If you think NRAA and SSAA should be one....I totally dissagree and it won't happen.
Would be like saying NRL should amalgamate with AFL..... :lol:
Majority of SSAA members are non active. They join as a reason to aquire different types of firearms....as I do.

My thoughts
Cameron

DannyS

#54 Postby DannyS » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:44 pm

Inertesting point guys, we seem to have more ssaa members shooting with our rifle club than ssaa have at their branch.

Other thing is that the ssaa range is on our land, we lease it to them.

I personally would like for the SSAA and the NRAA to remain as separate identities but it would be great if they could cooperate with each other.

Cheers
Danny

Barry Davies

#55 Postby Barry Davies » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:50 pm

They do Danny - They sell us insurance.

macguru

#56 Postby macguru » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:13 pm

Bruce , is vaseline any good for getting copper out of barrels ?

DannyS

#57 Postby DannyS » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:19 pm

Barry, the best insurance we can have, is to recruit as many new members as possible. Whatever the discipline. VRA numbers are falling, especially TR, but then again a lot of our F class shooters, who are ex TR shooters are also advancing in years. Me included.

Ps looking forward to catching up next weekend at the Marsh.

Pps Sorry Adam, but the 6mm is staying at home.

Cheers
Danny

OuttaAmmo

#58 Postby OuttaAmmo » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:34 pm

All of the older members, I ask this;
You likely have children, grandchildren, maybe even great grand kids! :-p
Those young 'uns in the family that don't shoot.... Do you know why? I'm sure most of you have taken family down for a show and tell, so those that did not become members...... Why not?
Usually for a son, it is the father, grandfather or even uncle who have the biggest influences when growing up.

DannyS

#59 Postby DannyS » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:49 pm

Another good point Casey, come on everyone keep the good ideas going.

My youngest son shoots sometimes, he has one of my old rifles, the little b......r out shot me recently. Why doesn't he shoot more often? Other interests... Love.

I think the age group we need to be targeting :) :) are those that have just got the kids off their hands and have the cash to buy the equipment.

Cheers
Danny

Barry Davies

#60 Postby Barry Davies » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:08 pm

Three kids and a missus and they all shoot.
Barry

Return to “Helping F-Class to Grow”