Queens

Results, photos of recent events, plan future events, let people know where you'll be competing.

Moderator: Mod

Tim L

Re: Queens

#31 Postby Tim L » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:09 pm

PeteFox wrote:I quite happy those who wish to kill themselves to get on with it, but I’m not happy for you to play kamikaze pilots with the rest of us.
Pete

Pete,
That's the hysteria Josh mentions. If you think you can hide from this, give it your best shot. It's going to be around,,,, well forever. Hopefully an effective vaccine will be forthcoming and then you can direct your fear at those who chose not to have it.

Josh Cox

#32 Postby Josh Cox » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:10 pm

Apparently the vaccine is 12-18 months away, COVID will have done its victory lap of the oblate spheriod we live on within the next four months.

Chris, quite aware.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Pommy Chris

#33 Postby Pommy Chris » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:30 pm

Josh Cox wrote:Apparently the vaccine is 12-18 months away, COVID will have done its victory lap of the oblate spheriod we live on within the next four months.

Chris, quite aware.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Then we need to protect those we hold dear and a comp means nothing. I still have not opened the glass I won at the last Queens. I dont want to loose one friend but likely will anyway. A Queens is not important, friends are.
Chris

Peter Hulett

#34 Postby Peter Hulett » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:38 pm

NQRA Queens series cancelled as of today

Pommy Chris

#35 Postby Pommy Chris » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:39 pm

My dad looses breath answering the door, Betta's dad has a walker and and is the same. My mum coughs all the time (she does not smoke) both are in 70's. If they get the virus they are dead.
Even just considering the old these are our families. People have trouble understanding this as we are not seeing issues bad in Aus YET.. And this is because Aus was so quick to react. Italy is the example of what could happen if we dont take this seriously. How many will die in Italy from this virus tomorrow?
My estimate over 800. We will see...
Chris

Josh Cox

#36 Postby Josh Cox » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:46 pm

We will circle back to this last post of yours in two weeks and see if you are of the same opinion.

"And this is because Aus was so quick to react."

GSells

#37 Postby GSells » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:34 pm

It’s a tough one ! I think this is where both side are right ! But is it better to err on the side of caution ? Or it’s too late once someone precious dies ? I don’t know the right answer for this , in cancelling a Queens?

But can we comply with the 4 m2 per person and be under 500 people? That is the question?
Lots of questions, more than answers unfortunately.
Last edited by GSells on Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tim L

#38 Postby Tim L » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:36 pm

I think we all react to threats differently. Some want to take cover, some will fight tooth and nail and others will spend their last breath caring for others.
There is nothing wrong with any of those reactions, each plays its part in survival.
What we need to not do is tell someone their reacton is wrong. This virus is a killer, it's highly communicable and can move through animals.
I'm not entirely sure we have the means to deal with any pandemic. We have organisations and processes but no guarantee they will or can work.
I don't disparage anyone for the line they take on this, as long as it's not one that says I can't choose my own. I'm not about to go around spitting on folks, but I'm not going to hole up in a cupboard either.
Live every day as if it's your last.

Pommy Chris

#39 Postby Pommy Chris » Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:22 pm

Josh Cox wrote:We will circle back to this last post of yours in two weeks and see if you are of the same opinion.

"And this is because Aus was so quick to react."

In Italy 600 plus die in a day, in the most wealthy pats of Italy and in Milan (affected area) there is a state of the art hospital for lung infections still people are dying. Will I have the same opinion in two weeks, yes. I live with someone who worked on viruses and I am a biologist. This is not good and for best outcome we need to limit infections before vaccine. Every 3 days infections double, do the maths this is so not good. Look at Italy three days ago it was 25,000 infections now it is almost 50,000 and over 4,000 dead each day it is hundreds in that country die 600 plus just today. Another 3 days it will be 100,000 and 8,000 and end of next week double again or worse. People need to start to think about this.
Chris

Tim L

#40 Postby Tim L » Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:50 pm

Chris, I think Josh's post relates to you statement that Aus reacted quickly so we should be OK.
Aus didn't react quickly, if we end up OK it would be more due to the fact the we have 23M people spread over a huge continent rather than packed into a city.
We dont have aglomerations of susceptable people to the same level as Europe.
This virus seems to kill the old and Italy has one of the oldest populations in the world. India has one of the biggest but isn't suffering to nearly the same extent, why? Maybe because the tend not to get old. Average age in italy 45.5, India 27.
I read somewhere that only 17 people under the age of 50 had died. All male and all with preexisting conditions. That doesn't make it any better for those who lost a loved one but it does help put it in perspective.
We have a median age of 37 and a widely dispersed population.
Our shooting community has a median age of ???? 70 maybe.It makes sence that we take all precautions to protect our friends.

williada

#41 Postby williada » Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:39 am

I live in the here and now. When a state of emergency is declared we must follow the rules. Its as simple as that. We are on a war footing to enable the hospitals and medical staff to deal with the influx of patients and that simply means cutting down contact to stop the spread of the virus because we have no other way to block the virus. The treatment of its effects will be limited if numbers swell. That is why the new rules have been declared. Our hospital systems are already under pressure, do we need to increase that? I prefer to listen to my wife who is a senior medical scientist working at the coalface.

In the USA, Ford is now swinging to the production of respirators - kinda looks like a war effort to me. If that country sneezes we catch cold. If you add up all the states in the USA 86,000,000 are now in lock down. So I think the preemptive strike on the virus are wise decisions by our governments. Don't need to touch the fire to know its hot.

The reset button has already been pressed for the realignment of economic systems and we will have to deal with the flow-on effects of world wide supply shortage, money printing for bailout etc. because we have become too specialized and not remained self sufficient. I can only envisage a firmer hand by government in the future.

bartman007

#42 Postby bartman007 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:17 am

The spread of the virus is difficult to contain. Just think about who we see every day, not to mention who would attend a Queens event.

If just one of our shooters got infected with COVID, and prior to showing symptoms attended a Queens or OPM or Pennant then the spread in this circle of people could be Australia wide.

The same goes for members that fly regularly for work purposes, their chances of coming into contact with the virus is increased dramatically. So reducing these activities will assist in slowing down the spread of the virus, which in turn lowers the impact on our health system.

I for one are disappointed by the cancelling of Queens events, however whilst we are living through this event am most certainly happy to defer attendance till the peak subsides, or a cure is readily available to all.

We have more serious things to be concerned about than 2020 competitions. Will our jobs still be here in the next 6 months, and will there be toilet paper :idea:
###

Pommy Chris

#43 Postby Pommy Chris » Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:05 pm

Tim L wrote:Chris, I think Josh's post relates to you statement that Aus reacted quickly so we should be OK.
Aus didn't react quickly, if we end up OK it would be more due to the fact the we have 23M people spread over a huge continent rather than packed into a city.
We dont have aglomerations of susceptable people to the same level as Europe.
This virus seems to kill the old and Italy has one of the oldest populations in the world. India has one of the biggest but isn't suffering to nearly the same extent, why? Maybe because the tend not to get old. Average age in italy 45.5, India 27.
I read somewhere that only 17 people under the age of 50 had died. All male and all with preexisting conditions. That doesn't make it any better for those who lost a loved one but it does help put it in perspective.
We have a median age of 37 and a widely dispersed population.
Our shooting community has a median age of ???? 70 maybe.It makes sence that we take all precautions to protect our friends.

Hi Tim,
I hope the measures we have taken are enough, we will see as you said.
I think those numbers are wrong, saw some pics from China with three kids being put in an adult body bag, the doctor who discovered this was a health 35 year old male and he is dead. It is true that old are the most susceptible but there are growing numbers dying all over the world, yesterday in Italy almost 800 died and these are not all old. Other question is are the survivors totally recovered? In other words has the virus damaged organs like the lungs permanently for those who recover? I wonder as the level of infection for some is very high and this can damage tissue greatly, this is an issue regardless of age.
We will see how all this ends up and also what the world economy will become in the next year..
Chris

williada

#44 Postby williada » Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:00 pm

If you wan't to know more about the symptoms of covid19 day by day;
https://www.chonday.com/39886/what-coro ... ay-by-day/

Azzopardi

#45 Postby Azzopardi » Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:10 pm

Chris,
I totally agree this virus shouldn't be underestimated AND, everyone needs to take responsibility for the their and others safety. Also, we understand Italy is dear to your and Betta’s hearts.

You are measuring Australian against Italy thus your calculations are wrong. Italy has one of the highest aging populations per capita in the world and they reacted slower than our Government did.

Panic in the community is causing a huge negative affect on our business’s. I as business owner, I have a responsibly to the safety of my staff and those they come in contact with AND their financial stability to a point. My other major concern is the result of panic. It will mean the unwanted downturn in work thus reducing staff numbers thus they suffer finical stress, etc, etc.
Let the NRAA and State associations manage the Queens and other events.

This is the wrong forum to cause panic – take it off-line.
Regards,
Azzo

Return to “Events”