Warracknabeal Rifle Club Prize Meeting

Results, photos of recent events, plan future events, let people know where you'll be competing.

Moderator: Mod

mick l

Warracknabeal Rifle Club Prize Meeting

#1 Postby mick l » Mon May 18, 2020 9:45 pm

Hi Guys,

Things are becoming a little clearer now we have some direction as to the release from lockup that we have suffered shooting wise.

A question was posed today, if our prize meeting was to go ahead, would we run it as twenty shot matches?

The answer of course is .............. if there was enough support for twenty shots to count matches, we would find it hard to say NO.

So there you go guys, who's keen to get on the range again and smell some burnt gun powder?

Cheers
Mick

oldman1967

Re: Warracknabeal Rifle Club Prize Meeting

#2 Postby oldman1967 » Mon May 18, 2020 10:33 pm

G'day Mick

I'd be happy to come and shoot whatever format you decide as Warracknabeal is one of my favourite ranges to visit. But can you clarify the reasoning behind this suggestion ? My only concern is that many of our older members may find twenty rounds plus sighters a bit fatiguing.

Cheers,
Owen

UL1700

#3 Postby UL1700 » Mon May 18, 2020 11:10 pm

Would love to give it a go. I have never had the opportunity to shoot 20+. 15 always seems a big step from 10 so would add some extra interest.

James

Barry Davies

#4 Postby Barry Davies » Tue May 19, 2020 8:34 am

I guess that's one way of excluding the oldies.

williada

#5 Postby williada » Tue May 19, 2020 5:37 pm

I think 20 shots is too long a string for a prize meeting. It takes a long time to get through 20 shots and this poses several issues. From a scorer's point of view it demands a lot of concentration in case a shot is missed when shooters hang off for extended periods waiting for the right condition in a 20 shot match. It also becomes the luck of the draw when conditions are markedly better for some particularly in the morning as the day warms at a faster rate compared to shooting later in the day. Shorter strings share the weather conditions more equitably. From the equipment perspective, barrel heating and fouling profile need to be accommodated. Twenty shot strings in a teams match is a different kettle of fish, because the total team score counts across conditions, whereas an individual has to rely more on chance. If that's fun go for it.

DannyS

#6 Postby DannyS » Tue May 19, 2020 6:17 pm

Hi Mick, I tend to agree with Williada. Also, with travelling etc to PMs , I would prefer to shoot more often with less rounds than to shoot less often with more rounds. Hope that makes sense.

Cheers
Danny
You might as well be yourself, everyone else is already taken.

terryx

#7 Postby terryx » Tue May 19, 2020 7:08 pm

Hi Mick : You have the best range in Australia would like to be there. like the format. Q : Is the new club house ready ? Hope to see you in OCT 2/3 MAYBE

BillB

#8 Postby BillB » Tue May 19, 2020 9:46 pm

To long what time limit ,and is it within the nraa rules

RDavies

#9 Postby RDavies » Wed May 20, 2020 8:13 am

My thoughts are different to others.
How about making it 20 shots Bisley style, pairs firing. That way you aren't burning out barrels as much. The scoring would be done by the other shooter you are paired with. If classes were squadded together, you would all be shooting together in the same conditions.
With squadded pairs firing, competitor marking is very easy to accommodate and gets sociable with the banter in the pits this way.

BillB

#10 Postby BillB » Wed May 20, 2020 10:04 am

Dont forget that these covid rules are going tobe around for quite some time so how many can you have on the mound at any one time some shooters take up 2mtrs on their own
So when you look at that would be a 7 mtr spread for how ever long it takes

Cliff Austen

#11 Postby Cliff Austen » Wed May 20, 2020 10:08 am

RE TIME LIMITS
These are already in the SSR's. Match Rifle and Long Range F Class both shoot 15 and 20 shot matches.
See SSR p97, 18-4-1.
A 20 shot match gets 30 minutes.
Cheers
Cliff

RDavies

#12 Postby RDavies » Wed May 20, 2020 10:12 am

BillB wrote:Dont forget that these covid rules are going tobe around for quite some time so how many can you have on the mound at any one time some shooters take up 2mtrs on their own
So when you look at that would be a 7 mtr spread for how ever long it takes

Even shooting string fire we have shooters laying down about 1.5m apart while one shoots and the other sets up. With pairs firing, the same total amount of shooters will still be on the mound and still spaced 1.5m apart. In the target pits, one on each side of the 2m target.

AlanF

#13 Postby AlanF » Wed May 20, 2020 10:36 am

I've always thought the the main problem with 20 shots is barrel heat and wear, so Bisley style would help. However at a Victorian OPM you'll get a high proportion of older shooters. Even in F-Class I find my neck starts to complain after about 15 minutes, so I worry about what it'd be like for an older TR shooter to be on the mound for 40 shots which could be as much as 40 x45 seconds = 30 minutes. Bisley events are great for those whom they suit, but I think if you change an established OPM from string to Bisley, the turnout might be disappointing.

BillB

#14 Postby BillB » Wed May 20, 2020 10:20 pm

Thanks Cliff

mick l

#15 Postby mick l » Fri May 22, 2020 12:15 pm

Thanks for the feed back Guys, we will take it onboard.
With the current social distancing and disinfecting protocols running a prize meeting will be very difficult, even with electronic targets and limited range/target changes.
We are still hopeful that we can go ahead with our July event.

Return to “Events”