QRA Queen’s

Results, photos of recent events, plan future events, let people know where you'll be competing.

Moderator: Mod

AlanF

Re: QRA Queen’s

#31 Postby AlanF » Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:48 pm

Yes Steve, sure looks that way. Another Belmont ambush. Congrats to all winners. I'm particularly impressed with Dave Boreham's performance - just picked his way through steadily.

Steve N

#32 Postby Steve N » Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:06 pm

Dave has been doing that for quite a while now. He's a great shooter and a top bloke.
=D> =D> =D>

GSells

#33 Postby GSells » Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:29 pm

Wow ! What a battle . Started out leading the comp . Crashed out of the top ten . Shot myself back into 6 th and the finals . Then battled back to 3 rd !
Dave Boreham is the rightful winner , 2 nd Dave Reddan .
1 st 284, 2 Nd 284 , 3 rd 284 day 1 and 2 / 280 ai last day and the final !

Conditions were extremely sporting with lots of vertical. But was readable if you knew .
Congratulations to all winners , what a great Queens ! Cheers
Graham Dalby/Tara RC .
Ps also thanks to Qra for an Excellent Queens .

TTBS28

#34 Postby TTBS28 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:48 pm

Probably a bit late now but are the progressive results anywhere to be seen on the NRAA site? Might be missing something but I went looking there for progress when Hexta site crashed and couldn't find it.

saum2

#35 Postby saum2 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:45 pm

I had David Boreham picked as a winner from day one. He has his gun in great tune and knows the wind. Congrats. David

scott/r

#36 Postby scott/r » Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:16 am

I was "lucky" enough to make it to the top 25 as a b grade tr shooter and I must admit that it was pretty cool shooting with the A grade boys and girls, but those conditions were nasty. It literally could've gone any way for anyone involved. Congrats to all the winners (including me) and everyone else who was able to get here.
Scott.

GSells

#37 Postby GSells » Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:13 pm

Ok , what did everyone think of the final and top 30 percent?

Well..... I’ll give my 2 c worth .

For the first time ever the best of the best at the Queens , on the day at that particular time were there competing against each other.

Also for the first time , everyone there was on a total level playing field in terms of when . All of the shooters started and in terms of range positions. Eg so and so had better conditions at target 12 and I was on tgt 36 !!!

So in the end people won it fair and square! And no one could complain that they weren’t squaded properly!!
Also the fact that my Lovely wife who hates shooting actually fell in love with the sport watching it on the Hexta site ! She went into a tail spin when the site crashed !

It was also a great spectacle event too ! The Hexta site has never crashed before that I know of at a Queens!
And .... that in itself speaks for me , volumes of how successful it was !
I know there were a few people that felt a bit hard done by . But that is shootin!!
Those up the top really earned it !
I hope it’s back next year !
=D> =D> =D>
And now Belmont has become a very hard range to shoot , also makes it very interesting!

Regards Graham Sells Dalby / Tara RC

AlanF

#38 Postby AlanF » Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:07 pm

Something that needs to be said is how good is it to be able to see these Belmont Queens events online as they happen, particularly for those of us who can't get there this time? Hexta is a very well designed and implemented system, and the main thing to say about yesterday's hiccup is that you don't appreciate what you have until its gone (just for a short while fortunately). Congratulations to Dmitri and associated people for producing this system, and to the QRA for their ongoing commitment to excellence with its implementation.

RDavies

#39 Postby RDavies » Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:13 pm

GSells wrote:Ok , what did everyone think of the final and top 30 percent?

While I was not at Belmont, I do think the final top 30% is a great idea especially at ranges like Belmont where conditions often change drastically over the course of a few minutes.
With this format, all the front runners who are in contention are shooting in the same conditions, so all have the same share of luck, good or bad.
Some will complain it is elitist, to separate the best shooters from the others, but this is a Queens Prize, or state championship, not a local fun match. I don't think it is unreasonable to allow each state to have one "elitist" event a year where the front runners are given some privilege, just as would happen in most other sports at the top level.

Rich4

#40 Postby Rich4 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:48 am

RDavies wrote:
GSells wrote:Ok , what did everyone think of the final and top 30 percent?

While I was not at Belmont, I do think the final top 30% is a great idea especially at ranges like Belmont where conditions often change drastically over the course of a few minutes.
With this format, all the front runners who are in contention are shooting in the same conditions, so all have the same share of luck, good or bad.
Some will complain it is elitist, to separate the best shooters from the others, but this is a Queens Prize, or state championship, not a local fun match. I don't think it is unreasonable to allow each state to have one "elitist" event a year where the front runners are given some privilege, just as would happen in most other sports at the top level.

Actually I think it’s only elitist if you exclude everyone all together, merely allowing them to shoot together is only leveling the playing field for those at the top, who are close enough that bad luck in conditions can easily separate them, that being said changing conditions are what this particular sport is all about, more so than nearly any. :D
That being said! Part of the attraction of a queens to me is the chance of being slotted in besides someone like yourself, pretty big drawcard for me anyway :D

DenisA

#41 Postby DenisA » Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:55 am

A couple of points I’d like to add.
1. The squadding was almost right but unfortunately the shooter rotation up the board was still based on individuals. In a successful squadding system the rotation up the board should be by discipline. It didn’t effect me but it did effect Lowell T and Chris P on my target. One shooting first and the other last on a given range.
2. Due to earth works and treelines Belmont is notorious at 1000 on both side rows of lanes for very unreadable turbulence. Shooting there is a lottery and doesn’t favour deliberate action. If the system of a top % shoot off is going to be run in the future, it would be a very good idea to ONLY utilise the centre row of lanes. This could easily be done with squadding a smaller number of shooters In each discipline rather than running all Fclass disciplines together across all lanes.

GSells

#42 Postby GSells » Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:12 am

Well I have a new nick name for Belmont !!
“ The 1000 yard Northarm !”
No , nope ! You .2Moa , Sd of 3 , gun isn’t on the blink !! You have just been Belmonted !! She can be a ravenous beast !! But it can be cracked!! I hadn’t shot there in 12 months and had forgotten a few things for the longs but eventually remembered!! But can be beaten.Cheers!

GSells

#43 Postby GSells » Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:15 am

Denis I totally agree with you . I don’t know why they didn’t use the centre lanes and as well as the ones that we were on ! Where you were there is so much turbulence. That was a bit unfair and maybe the only mistake they may have made in the whole Queens .
It would have been unreadable !

GSells

#44 Postby GSells » Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:30 am

When I saw standard over on the far right ! I thought you guys are going to get hammered !

DenisA

#45 Postby DenisA » Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:57 am

I heard the TR guys refer to it as Hells Corner.
In a competition where the top 10 of a given discipline on the last range of a weeks worth of shooting are regularly separated by less than the value of one shot, shooting in the unreadable washing machines on the side would be Similar to the top 10 rolling dice.

Again, having a top % shoot works well but it would be great if QRA kept the 1000y field of play to the centre lanes in the future for this system to be truelly representetive of deliberate intention from the shooters.

Return to “Events”