CANCELLATION OF 2020 ACT QUEENS

Results, photos of recent events, plan future events, let people know where you'll be competing.

Moderator: Mod

Dave_P

CANCELLATION OF 2020 ACT QUEENS

#1 Postby Dave_P » Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:54 pm

Due to the current COVID-19 restrictions the committee has come to the difficult decision that it will not hold the ACT Queens for 2020. The safety, health and wellbeing of all our members, volunteers and visitors is of the utmost importance to us. Stay safe.

https://www.canberrarifleclub.org.au/ac ... ships-2020

saum2

Re: CANCELLATION OF 2020 ACT QUEENS

#2 Postby saum2 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:47 am

I was hoping to go to this one

willow

#3 Postby willow » Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:38 pm

saum2 wrote:I was hoping to go to this one

Ditto, this is disappointing given restrictions are easing.

Tim N

#4 Postby Tim N » Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:58 pm

With out meaning to sound like a whinger(which means I’m about to), is there any reason the call to can the event couldn’t have been put off till 2-3 weeks before ?
Just saying
We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training. Archilochos 680-645 BC

willow

#5 Postby willow » Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:09 pm

Tim N wrote:With out meaning to sound like a whinger(which means I’m about to), is there any reason the call to can the event couldn’t have been put off till 2-3 weeks before ?
Just saying

I agree Tim. I think the trigger was pulled too early on this one (no pun intended).

bsouthernau

#6 Postby bsouthernau » Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:20 am

I think if I was faced with the prospect of putting in all the work and then at the last having to return sponsorship and entry monies, being stuck with a set of now-useless badges etc etc that I would err on the side of caution and cancel sooner rather than later. It also gives prospective entrants some certainty and the opportunity to plan something else in their lives.

Barry

Cliff Austen

#7 Postby Cliff Austen » Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:18 pm

Barry,
Totally agree with you. That is why I cancelled our NSW Match Rifle and Long Rang F Class at Ungarie, in May, as well as the Ultra Long Range Challenge at Coonabarabran, which we should be running at this very moment.
Cheers
Cliff

bainp

#8 Postby bainp » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:32 pm

The badges for NSW Match Rifle and Long Range F Class event at Ungarie as well as the badges for the Ultra Long Range Challenge at Coonabarabran were made very early in the year prior to Covid even being about. They are all dated 2020, do you suppose that competitors in the 2021 events (if they are held) will accept badges dated 2020 without any grizzles?
If Coonabarabran had been held, none of the Tasmanians, Victorians or Queenslanders and maybe SA would have been able to attend. That would have been about 2/3 of the usual numbers absent. A lot of work for not much competition. Would winning or placing in a comp down in numbers by 60-70% really be worth the badge?
Philip

AlanF

#9 Postby AlanF » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:18 pm

bainp wrote:The badges for NSW Match Rifle and Long Range F Class event at Ungarie as well as the badges for the Ultra Long Range Challenge at Coonabarabran were made very early in the year prior to Covid even being about. They are all dated 2020, do you suppose that competitors in the 2021 events (if they are held) will accept badges dated 2020 without any grizzles?
If Coonabarabran had been held, none of the Tasmanians, Victorians or Queenslanders and maybe SA would have been able to attend. That would have been about 2/3 of the usual numbers absent. A lot of work for not much competition. Would winning or placing in a comp down in numbers by 60-70% really be worth the badge?
Philip

Phil,

I can remember from several years ago an OPM and a Queens that had the previous year's date on both badges and medals. These awards can mean a lot to the recipients, but I don't recall anyone complaining loudly. And particularly in the current pandemic, everyone seems more prepared to cut some slack. There's a good chance our Rosedale OPM will also end up being delayed till 2021 with 2020 dated awards. What we'll do is simply call it the 2020 OPM but run it in 2021 :D !

Regarding the attitude of shooters to small fields, it will tend to devalue the sense of achievement somewhat, particularly those who are there more for the competition than the social gathering, and it'll also devalue the club coffers as well! Again, I'm sure you won't get loud complaints whatever you decide in the current environment. Anyone who feels hard done by needs to spare a thought for the likes of our Melbourne shooters who've been under lockdown now for several months, and today's announcements didn't bring any better news for them.

Trevor Rhodes

#10 Postby Trevor Rhodes » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:19 am

In regards to regional Victoria with no new cases, Daniel Andrews has brushed us aside to make the Melbourne bubble feel better. Sunday he announced regional areas can have 70 patrons gathing outside a hotel but still only 10 people on a rifle range. 70 people we could resume country prize meetings.

Return to “Events”