2015 F Class Challenge Cup.

Results, photos of recent events, plan future events, let people know where you'll be competing.

Moderator: Mod

johnk

Re: 2015 F Class Challenge Cup.

#31 Postby johnk » Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:53 pm

Not stupid. We all overlook things now and again - at my age and again and again and again .....

Craig McGowan

#32 Postby Craig McGowan » Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:20 pm

AlanF wrote:Craig,

Regarding the length of the event I notice in the first post its down for October 8 -10, Thu to Sat. If its hoped to attract interstate shooters, then I wouldn't make it less than 3 days (to make the travel worthwhile). And it would be good if there was another Belmont event next to it, to give interstaters the option of a 4th or 5th day. Maybe South Burnett DRA could be persuaded to bring their OPM to Belmont this year? I reckon they'd get a big boost to numbers.

Alan

Hi Alan,

The event is planned to be a two and a half day event. 10 ranges. Starting on Thrusday and finishing Saturday lunch. We have to be off the range by 12 on Saturday due to the MDRA having a standing booking for use of the range.

I know while not ideal, finishing Saturday lunch, I have been thinking about having a presentation dinner Saturday night. That way if people want to shoot with the MDRA they can. Also theidea behind a presentation dinner, is to perhaps launch a Australia F Class Series championship crown or start a hall of Fame. I don't know I am just putting it out there to see what works and does not.

The only way we are going to get the recognition in this sport is if we do it our selves. I know a lot of people in the sport are happy to "fly under the radar" and are not about self promotion. But once a year to be recognised by your peers as being at the top of your field, would not be such a bad thing.

Kind Regards.

AlanF

#33 Postby AlanF » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:44 pm

Craig,

Could the MDRA be asked to run a special Saturday afternoon program that will attract the F-Class visitors? Otherwise, the proposed evening presentation dinner may not be well attended. Of course the alternative would be to have a Saturday presentation lunch, either at Belmont or at a nearby venue if the MDRA dictates. Now that you've said 10 ranges, I'm not so concerned about wanting more than 3 days. Some Queens shoots only manage 8 ranges. Could we get some practice time on the Wednesday?

Alan

Norm

#34 Postby Norm » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:39 pm

Craig McGowan wrote:
Norm wrote:Craig, great idea.
I'm not likely to attend due to other commitments this year but if it was a regular event then I would definitely consider making the trip in the future.

One thing that would interest me would be a two man team event.

Thanks Norm, One Idea that has been floated is that should we be able to have a successful formula this year then every year it is at a different location. Of course this would depend on facilities and the people willing to put the time into organising it.

If you are thinking of taking this event to other locations, then maybe consider including longer distances also.
Thinking maybe 800, 900, 1000, 1100 and 1200 yards at Coona or Lower Light or any other range with a bit of length.

RDavies

#35 Postby RDavies » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:36 am

Norm wrote:
Craig McGowan wrote:
Norm wrote:Craig, great idea.
I'm not likely to attend due to other commitments this year but if it was a regular event then I would definitely consider making the trip in the future.

One thing that would interest me would be a two man team event.

Thanks Norm, One Idea that has been floated is that should we be able to have a successful formula this year then every year it is at a different location. Of course this would depend on facilities and the people willing to put the time into organising it.

If you are thinking of taking this event to other locations, then maybe consider including longer distances also.
Thinking maybe 800, 900, 1000, 1100 and 1200 yards at Coona or Lower Light or any other range with a bit of length.

Im sure some of the tactical shooters with the bigger toys would like to go back to 1500 at Coona

MCLE

#36 Postby MCLE » Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:42 am

This is a very good idea. As one of the things I hear a lot around comps is the words Tradition and history and not usully in a conversation about FClass so might be the start..I am shooting in NZ ATM and they run things very well.Fclass shoot at the same time now some take longer than others so you get a little bit of mixing up of the Disaplins but its close to all at the same time.As they don't have F-A & F-B it's just FTR and Fopen. A lot of Kiwi shooters run Tactical Gear in FTR and are doing well and the fact that they can run silencers helps.Another idear that they have and this may happen in OZ but l haven't come across it.Today Friday is the last day that we all shoot together you have to try and finish in the top 5 in each class.Then On Sat they have Officials turn up and everyone sits / stands behind the 1000y mound .They have big Bords behind the shooters plotting the shots for the crowd and they shoot for the Belt.Good way of doing it l think.
Thanks Michael H

scott/r

#37 Postby scott/r » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:29 am

I've always liked the idea of plotting shots for everyone to see. An awesome idea to get spectators to come along. Something the check scorer could do maybe.

AlanF

#38 Postby AlanF » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:13 am

If ETs are used, then "slave monitors" will provide this facility.

Which raises another question. Will the Hextas be ready and will there be enough of them for this event?

Barry Davies

#39 Postby Barry Davies » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:00 pm

If you are going to run per ICFRA then " sound Moderators" are not permitted. However I guess you could have an Aussie version of ICFRA which allows Moderators.
Bit like FS --- rules to suit the local enviornment.

RDavies

#40 Postby RDavies » Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:08 pm

The Saturday finish will be good for interstaters, giving them time to drive back on the Sunday, of course this wont suit the locals who will be making up most of the numbers.

Some ideas I think might be worth looking at.
How about some Bisley style shooting, 2 to a target.

Maybe longer shot strings for the Bisley style. The slower rate of shots wont burn the barrel out in long shot strings as it would in string fire.

Squadding could be looked at for this event, even if it just for the long ranges.

John T

#41 Postby John T » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:17 am

Craig.

I applaud and support your project of a F Class Challenge Cup.

If it was my decision, I would show my bias and make the course of fire entirely 800, 900 and 1000 yards, the ICFRA, FCWC ranges.

However, there should be some shorter ranges. My suggestion is that the first three ranges be 600. 600, and 700 yards. The latter will be attractive to metric shooters (600m target).

Doubtless, this competition will be promoted as another opportunity for F Class competition and not in any way as an alternative to traditional Queen's Prize Meetings.

To extend that theme, there should be components that make this event distinguishable from a Queen's.

More than a few will come to mind, but may I suggest one. Match Rifle has long supported F Class. Match Rifle should be one of four disciplines in this event.

Regards,
John T
01-02-15

RDavies

#42 Postby RDavies » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:51 am

John T wrote:
To extend that theme, there should be components that make this event distinguishable from a Queen's.

More than a few will come to mind, but may I suggest one. Match Rifle has long supported F Class. Match Rifle should be one of four disciplines in this event.

Regards,
John T
01-02-15

+1 on giving match rifle shooters an opportunity. Good bunch of blokes and they have always given F Classers an opportunity to shoot the long long ranges.

AlanF

#43 Postby AlanF » Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:18 am

Yes good idea. But they might have trouble getting their scope elevation down to 600 yards :D .

DaveMc

#44 Postby DaveMc » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:11 pm

Have been off air for a while. Great idea and should be able to rope in a few 308 factory rifles if marketed correctly. On this idea I think another thing for consideration is a lot of "tactical shooters" aren't geared for 1000 yards. They may have 18-24 inch barrels on 308's. Is it worth considering breaking this up to a "short range" match (say up to 600 or 700 yards) and a "long range match" with the ICFRA WC ranges (8,9,1000)?

AlanF

#45 Postby AlanF » Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:00 pm

Dave,

Welcome back!

If it was divided into medium and long range events, I think the main event should be the aggregate, because the longer (in terms of number of shots) the event, the more worthy the winner, and I think some of us are hoping this will evolve into the premier F-Class event of the year.

Alan

Return to “Events”