300 Mtr Fly Shoot at Belmont 7th March

Results, photos of recent events, plan future events, let people know where you'll be competing.

Moderator: Mod

ecomeat

300 Mtr Fly Shoot at Belmont 7th March

#1 Postby ecomeat » Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:09 pm

I tried the 300 meter version of Fly Shooting at Belmont today for the first time, and it was just as much fun and every bit as enjoyable as the 500 meters "Fly" normally shot.
The gods were kind to me, and i snuck away with a win in Heavy Gun, shooting my 284 Win. I had a few points break from two well known F Classers, with Jenni Hausler in 2nd, and Mark Fairbairn just behind her in 3rd Place for the day in Heavy Gun. I am fairly sure that both of them also shot 284 Win. rifles.
Mark excelled in Light Gun today with a 6.5 x 47 Lapua and had a strong win from Ted Donaldson in Second, and Mark Lacey taking Third place. Lacey is a good friend of mine who used to come out to our old home to shoot steel with Stuart and Annie Elliott , Phil Jones (Redback Precision Equipment) and Vince Vaina. Until getting hooked on Fly Shooting just a few months ago, Mark was principally a hunter, with a number of fine "tactical" styled rifle, almost all built by Phil.

He shot the following group today with a short barrelled T3 hunting rifle in 308
Image to take out the "Smallest Group" for the day.

Mark "Wild Dog" Fairbairn is certainly in awesome form, and posted the following effort himself to be Runner Up in the Smallest Group
That little Ten Ring in both targets is just under 1.1" across, so with the mirage and fishtail winds we had today, the groups for Lacey and Fairbairn represent some damn good shooting at 300 meters.

I didnt have any groups to brag about, but consistency got me home. It seems that if you can average 42 or better (out of the possible 50) on your five x 5 shot scoring strings, you will make it to the podium occasionally.
I suspect that Mark Lacey will become a threat in F Open in this part of SE Qld fairly quickly, if he can get his brand new 284 Win just delivered by Redback to shoot the way he has got his stubby 308 shooting.

As always, and as per Rule #10 (Competitors MUST have fun) a great day was had by all. =D>
If NRAA ever merged with SSAA as per a few recent threads, i for one will hope that SSAA bring their carpeted benches, great airy shaded buildings and firing lines, clean toilets, canteen with a great choice of hot and cold food and drinks and a typical small gun store inventory with them :D :D
Lordy, I am getting soft after 8 months off with a smashed leg and knee joint :oops:
Last edited by ecomeat on Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Extreme accuracy and precision shooting at long range can be a very addictive pastime.

Tim L

Re: 300 Mtr Fly Shoot at Belmont today 7th March

#2 Postby Tim L » Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:02 pm

It was a well run event and interesting to see the capabilities of the rifles that were used.

Hope to see you there next month Tony, I'll see how my Tikka CTR holds up against Marks hunter at 500.

Return to “Events”