National Queens blog 2015

Results, photos of recent events, plan future events, let people know where you'll be competing.

Moderator: Mod

Norm

Re: National Queens blog 2015

#31 Postby Norm » Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:27 pm

I see there are more New Zealand shooters there than from Victoria.

williada

#32 Postby williada » Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:33 pm

My thought too Alan re cleaning. Still a long way to go, and a bloke like Tony will be hard to shake this time. It'll be a very interesting finish if Murphy keeps his law to himself.

Craig McGowan

#33 Postby Craig McGowan » Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:50 pm

AlanF wrote:I assume you're flying the Bartlein flag Tony? Sounds like Craig decided to clean his barrel?

No Alan.

Rooster then feather duster I believe is the saying. Gun is performing more than I could ask of it. I was just not good enough today. I just seemed to be behind the changes / out of sync all day. I am hoping that tomorrow will be better, but hats off to Lowell Tillick. Boy that man can shoot.

plumbs7

#34 Postby plumbs7 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:12 pm

So can Nick Williamson ! Looks the Queenslanders had a good day today!

ecomeat

#35 Postby ecomeat » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:07 pm

AlanF wrote:I assume you're flying the Bartlein flag Tony? Sounds like Craig decided to clean his barrel?

Yes Alan, I'm driving "Bartlein #4", and it's only the bloke behind the butt that is letting the team down.
There must be some glitch in the NRAA computers with the 2 x 600 scores not listed, but the Aggregate is there .
Craig dropped one at 300 and two at 500 which obviously wasnt "as expected" after his awesome performance in the Lead Up. Then he had a 60 with 3 or 4 or 5 at the first 600, and he reckoned it felt as good as sex after a six month dry spell :oops: :shock: :D .
I don't think he will be far away at the end, when the whips are cracking.
Lowell Tillack's effort today was pretty damned extraordinary.......especially when you consider he shot a 6 Dasher all day, while lots of us were shooting 7mm's. As the only one to not drop a point on Day one,it just had to be superb (superior :oops: ) wind reading/trigger pulling effort that saw him win the day. Lowell won our State Champion of Champions at the City Vs Country weekend a few months ago, and was the first one picked into our State F Open team for the Nats in August. He and his Dasher are backed up by a 6.5 x 284 at present, but he has just ordered a Bartlein 7mm so he can get serious.
That "new boy"......,Andrew Burns from North Arm RC on the Sunshine Coast has certainly arrived in F Open with a bang. He has shot many years of TR and Denis Aaron's warned us that he would be highly competitive immediately, now that he is shooting Open. To be down just one on an interesting day like today is highly commendable.
At 600 I only had just over 1 moa of right wind on, at the worst of it, but plenty of little sharp drop offs.
Rod sits alone in 3rd place tonight, and thinks his old 284 barrel might have past it's use by date on its current chamber. He reckons he will have to clean it every single range, but knowing him he has probably got a couple of spares in the back of his car :shock:
Of the four of us a point behind Rod (down three points for the day) Brent Noble deserves a mention as he is new to F Open with a 7mm Shehane. I have seen him shoot a couple of 60-8's recently while fireforming, and he did it again today at 600 while most of us were getting knocked around a bit. He is my "dark horse " tip to be a big threat at the end. He has a great track record in F Standard A Grade inc a couple of Queens No.2 badges, so to say he is experienced at the pointy end would be an understatement.
Just one point behind the four of us sits Mr McGowan, who excels at the "longs" , and behind him are a number of very good shooters only a point or two further away.
Tomorrow will be a terrific days competition, with a bit more wind expected. Great to see Steve Rigby, Mike Henry and that other "new boy" Michael Singleton on the mound. Anyone from NSW worried about them being bored can rest easy ........they mentioned that Qld is a GREAT place to visit :mrgreen:
Extreme accuracy and precision shooting at long range can be a very addictive pastime.

AlanF

#36 Postby AlanF » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:42 pm

Thanks for keeping us up to date Tony. This is your chance for glory with Rod and Craig faltering a little - go get 'em! :D (just keep Rod away from the SSAA range or he'll conjure up another hummer load :shock: ).

ShaneG

#37 Postby ShaneG » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:44 pm

So Jeffism of 3 posts please explain to us how this system separates F class from TR?

DannyS

#38 Postby DannyS » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:30 pm

Great update Tony. 6th months after a dry spell
You might as well be yourself, everyone else is already taken.

plumbs7

#39 Postby plumbs7 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:16 am

Squading ! After having a day working with squading I'm for it ! But ... It is really slow! Yesterday we were nearly shooting in the dark!

Going to be a problem for the Tr guys today as they shoot after us f classers. So the last tr guy or gal will need very good eyesight !
Really great to shoot all at the same time and a lot work has gone into making it very fair ! But has come at a price of a lot sitting around waiting for the last Tr shooters to finish.

Should be better today as f class shoot first !
Also good luck everyone for today!
Regards Graham.

ecomeat

#40 Postby ecomeat » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:17 am

This mornings "Hot Tip" : look for a big performance today by Belmont "locals" Lindsay Crombie, Barry Lewis, Craig McGowan, Jenni Hausler today. They know every damn blade of grass at the 800, 900 ranges and awesome local knowledge re flags and wind patterns .
We visitors who are languishing a bit will have to work very hard to stay in touch.
Extreme accuracy and precision shooting at long range can be a very addictive pastime.

bsouthernau

#41 Postby bsouthernau » Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:17 am

williada wrote: It'll be a very interesting finish if Murphy keeps his law to himself.

I think it will be an interesting finish no matter what David. Not so sure about June but the final 1000 of the QRA Queens coincides with the change from offshore overnight to onshore daytime wind and some terrible hidings are taken - as I know to my lasting regret.

Barry

AlanF

#42 Postby AlanF » Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:47 am

plumbs7 wrote:Squading ! After having a day working with squading I'm for it ! But ... It is really slow! Yesterday we were nearly shooting in the dark!

I was surprised that they decided to separate TR and F-Class actually. It must be the gap between them at every range causing the delays. Personally I don't see much benefit to the separation, particularly in relation to Super Vs. Maybe they could order the classes something like 1. TR A-Grade 2. F-Std A 3. F-Open 4. F/TR 5. TR B-Grade 6. F-Std B 7.TR C-Grade and roll through without any waiting. It wouldn't be quite as good for the simultaneous aspect but still a big improvement, and absolutely no time increase. Alternatively they could consider say 3 x 15 shot ranges in a day instead of 4 x 10.

ecomeat

#43 Postby ecomeat » Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:22 am

To keep it "even", they have to wait till the last shooters finished, to change the centers.....and because there is always one or two taking more time, in both F Class and TR it means there can be a 5 minute or more delay where 24 or 25 targets are doing nothing , just waiting on one or two. Then the next discipline all starts at the same time.
500 just finished. 4 of us on 60-8 but Bob Pedersen will count us out. Then it will be Davies, Berry and mcGowan.
Lots of 60-6's, 5's, 4's etc. Lowell a steady 60-6
Fairbairn a 60-7 in FTR with Barlow a 60-6

plumbs7

#44 Postby plumbs7 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:45 am

I think Viki Cussack just took the 600 yds 58.6 in Ftr . Well done ! Graham .

plumbs7

#45 Postby plumbs7 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:50 am

I can't beat that N Williamson , he edge me out on centres 59.3v 59.5.
S Noble shot a 60.5 and Mr Lathem a high 60. ?? Think I'm in 4 th with hopeful not me crashing at the longs and maybe a small chance of making up a spot or 2 . A very Big Ask , but I'll give her a go!

Return to “Events”