Proposed New Format for National Teams Event

Results, photos of recent events, plan future events, let people know where you'll be competing.

Moderator: Mod

RDavies

Re: Proposed New Format for National Teams Event

#16 Postby RDavies » Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:34 pm

+1 on having the teams matches at 800, 900 and 1000yds with 6 shooters and 3 coaches.
We need to start getting more people experienced at coaching. If the teams cant get 3 coaches, well they can just slip someone who is not laying down shooting into the rear (3rd coach) chair to make up the numbers.
I would also like at least the 1000yds to be a 15 shot match.
As for Bisley style, I wish more clubs would hold some Bisley style competitions at their OPMs, even if it is a one range, 15 shot stand alone competition after the main competition or maybe the last range of each day could be 15 shots Bisley style.

bartman007

#17 Postby bartman007 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:17 pm

Do any of the above 5 points not hold for the longer ranges??? ie what can be proven at 300-600 that is not proven at longer ranges?

Dave, I have coached at Bendigo many times and I find that it is all too easy to blame the environment on lost shots. That is why I still advocate for including shooting at easy ranges to rule out any 'excuses' and deliver the goods when they are there to be got.

It proves shooter nerve, along with coaching confidence. And most of all instills confidence in the team.

I would say that you may achieve the equivalent at longer ranges, IF you get to a range on a day when there are next to no wind conditions to hamper proceedings. I had a shooter throw a shot at 3 O'clock due to his elbow slipping, this could have easily been attributed to the coach missing a wind call. Easy conditions will highlight shooter imperfections. I shot the same rifle straight after the shooter got up with a low score, readjusted the magnification from 45 to 25 and posted a much higher score and tighter group. These are 2 examples of the benefits of shooting in easy conditions.

It's easy to say we are happy with 87/90 or 58/60 at 1000 yards, as it takes the pressure off both Shooter and Coach as we are "comfortable" with that score.
###

AlanF

#18 Postby AlanF » Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:04 pm

I tend to agree with Mike about his points 1 and 2. If you strike difficult conditions and get poor results at the longs then it can be hard to tell what the problem is. The shooter and rifle may be performing well but conditions may be causing windage and even elevation error. I shoot at a range where good conditions are the exception, and at the longs you often don't learn much about what went wrong! Whereas at 300 its rare for conditions to affect elevation much, and usually possible to manage wind changes (except at Canberra :shock: ).

DaveMc

#19 Postby DaveMc » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:15 pm

Yes - but guys that is all for practice and training is it not? Not the final competition. Of course that is just my opinion and I would be keen to hear the vote of the people - Perhaps another poll Alan?? What ranges should be in National Teams, 3,6,9,1000 or 8,9,1000.
What team layout - 1 coach, 5 shooters, or 3 coach, 6 shooter.
Days - 1 practise and 2 competition or 2 days total.

After that we really require submissions through your state associations. Not just left here on the web so people please get active on the request for feedback by the NRAA on the teams events through your clubs, DRA's and state bodies. Go through the proper process of ratifying your ideas but put them in please.

At the moment, 6 shooters, 3 coach systems sound doable from the conversation. For those states that can't field 3 teams they may decide to stack 2 ie a few FTR or FS shooters combined with F open in the Fopen category etc etc. As Rod said you can still use your shooters as your back coaches/ second coaches etc.

The real challenge might be lanes as pointed out. 7 states * 2 lanes = 14 per discipline. That is a logistical challenge for some states for sure.

Cameron Mc

#20 Postby Cameron Mc » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:52 pm

DaveMc wrote:Yes - but guys that is all for practice and training is it not? Not the final competition. Of course that is just my opinion and I would be keen to hear the vote of the people - .

My opinion to. Rifles and shooters should be in tune for the main event.

Cheers

AlanF

#21 Postby AlanF » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:33 pm

I was talking more about practice day and choosing a team etc. I think most serious F-Open shooters prefer the longs because they are a more complete test of equipment and marksmanship. Several Queens shoots have already dropped the 300 - hopefully the trend will continue.

Return to “Events”