Goondiwindi Border Challenge 2016

Results, photos of recent events, plan future events, let people know where you'll be competing.

Moderator: Mod

plumbs7

Goondiwindi Border Challenge 2016

#1 Postby plumbs7 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:17 pm

Last edited by plumbs7 on Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ecomeat

Re: Goondawindi Border Challenge 2016

#2 Postby ecomeat » Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:51 pm

Goondiwindi Rifle Club is famous for it's genuine bush hospitality, great prizes, and warm friendly atmosphere. Everyone is welcome here where the shooting programme is petty damned good too :D
Metric ranges from 300 - 800 metres will test your marksmanship, and genuine mirage is guaranteed to surface at some stage. This is a true, family orientated weekend where campfires, wonderful food and a great bar atmosphere all help to create a memorable experience .
Extreme accuracy and precision shooting at long range can be a very addictive pastime.

Steve N

#3 Postby Steve N » Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:14 pm

Definitely one of the best prize meetings I have been to. The locals really know how to make sure everyone has a good time on and off the range. I've come last or close to it the past two years and am sure I will enjoy it again this year. :D :D
Steve.

plumbs7

#4 Postby plumbs7 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:52 pm

I talked that hard last year that at dinner time , I missed the Great Barbeque on offer !
Good company!

Gerard

#5 Postby Gerard » Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:09 am

Im definitely going, good range, great people.

scott/r

#6 Postby scott/r » Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:56 am

I've only heard good things about this prize shoot and am looking forward to finding out for myself this year.

plumbs7

Re: Goondiwindi Border Challenge 2016

#7 Postby plumbs7 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:05 pm

Well the weather was just glorious here at Goondiwindi this arvo . With must be 40 or more shooters turning up for the first day , with half scoped shooters .
All classes were represented . Wind ! " what wind "! Was gusting to about 40 km/hr and wind coming from the right then from 6:00-7:00-5:00. 4's were out about and causing distress and pain among shooters across the mound ! Ok this is just what I think I know and if anyone has any info please pipe up!
Standard A 1st Mick K Gold Coast

2 nd Brian P natives .

B grade ??
Ftr not sure sory.

Open
Bob K boddington Wa Saum 86.6
Graham S Dalby/ Tara 7-08 Ai 86.5
Beth C Crows nest 86.4 6.5 x 47 l I think!
With Cole ( 7 mm wsm) and Lowel ( either Saum or .284) taking out the top 5
Anyway sorry for the poor report , I gas bagged way too much and didn't take to much attention of things !
Tr in b grade Ray M shot a brave possible was great to watch !
Poor Cole and Dave H braved the rain storm to cook food out in the open to feed us all!

Had heaps of fun today catching up with friends and lots of laughs . I'll try and do a better job tomorrow with scores and photos ( had none for today) .
:(
Last edited by plumbs7 on Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

plumbs7

#8 Postby plumbs7 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:16 am

Well over 80 shooters have braved the beautiful Qld sunshine to have a crack at the Border Champs .

I got bogged last night , so thanks to those cheary people that pushed me out !
That leads me into the next photos of Andy Mac , who just jumped up to the target bright eyed and busy tailed ! Lol!

Not bad for a hangover lol!

plumbs7

#9 Postby plumbs7 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:09 am

Kids having fun ! Just awesome to see !

plumbs7

#10 Postby plumbs7 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 5:42 pm

plumbs7

#11 Postby plumbs7 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 5:49 pm

Great day had by all in challenging conditions . I'm bowing out for tomorrow ! I'll leave you in the capable hands of Andy Mac for reports ! Congrats for the days winners ! Tight Comp in fo with 1 point and x's separating 1st -3rd :(
Regards Graham .
Ps go the lil7-08 Ai!

plumbs7

#12 Postby plumbs7 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:26 pm

Congratulations B Knudsen for winning the F Open class , Gundy border champs in some very ordinary conditions ! 394.30 .284 win
2 nd D Aarons 388.27 .284 win
3rd my Teamie Mate Mr A Burns , 386.27 .284 win
4 th M Knudsen .284 win
5th D Reddan 6.5mm

Photos courtesy of the Knudsens .

First day 2nd 600 m was 7 count as there were so many shooters (91).

Amac

#13 Postby Amac » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:07 am

Hi All

Thanks for getting those results up as I left early and couldn't give a final account for the day.

Sunday - started at 300 M with a relatively steady and occasionally gusty head wind. Most struggled to see the mirage and lost points through it. We moved to 500 M and this is where points started falling away. Heavier headwinds with very fast mirage changes. Gusts could have been to 20 km/hr and this continued into the 600 M where even more points were lost.

If anyone ever wanted a lesson - not anything other than a pure class lesson - in reading conditions like that and to shoot the lowest BC bullet (223) through it than step up Mr Gary Hausler and commence teaching. He is a master and just to prove it he turned up on Sunday and rattled off 177.12. He is a master - fair enough his own range - but a master.

The weekend was excellent. The threat of rain didn't stop 90 shooters turning up and enjoying themselves thoroughly. The food was great and plentiful. Personally, I have never enjoyed sandwiches as much as I did on Saturday for lunch......as the photos earlier may highlight. It truly is a great weekend. It may be a long drive but where can you go to get nearly all shooters staying on the range, fed like Kings and challenging yourself to some really tricky shooting conditions.

On a final note - The Goondiwindi shoot proved that shooters must support shooters. Our sport is alive and well. Come to these events and you will see some wonderful people and experience some great times. Just ask the honorary Qlder's Bob Kinnear (WA) and Peter Casley (SA).

Thanks again to all and sundry.

Cheers Andrew

scott/r

#14 Postby scott/r » Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:51 pm

And I believe that the port isn't to bad on a rainy Friday night either.

DenisA

#15 Postby DenisA » Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:00 pm

I'd like to contribute to this..

THANK YOU GOOD 'N' WINDI R.C FOR A SENSATIONAL WEEKEND.

I took the wife kids and dog down in our recently acquired camper trailer for a long weekend. Friday through to Monday. This was by far the best weekend away I've had in a very long time.
As everyone has said, the prize meet in general, shoot, food, organisation, etc was second to none but I'd like to comment on the people involved. Good'n'windi members and visitors.
What amazing hospitality and lovely people. I enjoyed everyone's company so much, enjoyed meeting new friends and seeing old ones, those that have only been shooting for a short amount of time, those that have been shooting for the better part of their lives and the shooters partners that don't shoot but get involved, enjoyed having drinks around the camp fire at night and seeing the kids all play together through the day. Everyone goes out of their way for everyone else.

I was sorry to see every one go their separate ways at the end of it all especially sorry to see the interstaters head home as I know it will be a while before I see them again. I'm really looking forward to the next one.

Thank you Good'n'windi R.C members for a great show, but a special thanks to my mates Col S and Lowell T for making this a weekend that my kids, wife and I will never forget. You guys represent ALL of the core value's that drive and bond together this wonderful shooting fraternity and without people like yourselves' it would be nothing.

The only thing better than going to a great prize meeting and being welcomed by everyone is taking your family to a great prize meeting and having them welcomed by everyone.

THANK YOU EVERYONE........

Return to “Events”