F-Class World Championships 2017

Results, photos of recent events, plan future events, let people know where you'll be competing.

Moderator: Mod

macguru

Re: F-Class World Championships 2017

#241 Postby macguru » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:12 am

Well done all
Last edited by macguru on Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
id quod est

bobeager

#242 Postby bobeager » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:53 pm

Could the team captain or manager give us a rundown on the sponsors and their contribution. All things being equal it would be nice for shooters to support thesorganisations when considering future purchases

Craig McGowan

#243 Postby Craig McGowan » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:32 pm

bobeager wrote:Could the team captain or manager give us a rundown on the sponsors and their contribution. All things being equal it would be nice for shooters to support thesorganisations when considering future purchases

Nightforce Scopes - Scopes and Scope rings.
Bartlein Barrels - Barrels
Berger - Projectiles.

The amount and quantity I have left off on purpose, only to say that the level of sponsorship was extraordinary. Without the support of these sponsors the level of success achieved in Canada, would not have been possible.

As Captain of the F Open Team I would also like to personal thank:

Jamie Dennis from Nightforce.
Frank Green from Bartlein Barrels.
Emil Praslick from Berger Bullets.

In addition to the sponsors I would also like to thank:
NRAA - For their support in sending an outstanding Australian Team to Canada.
Catherine Berry (NRAA) - Catherine was tireless behind the scenes in sorting out export and import permits for all of the Australian Team. Without this we would not have made it out of the country.
My Team Mates - Your hunger and dedication to continue on from 2013 was second to none. We all thought that the bar was raised after the F Open Team returned in 2013, well I think that the bar has been raised again in terms of professionalism, dedication and sacrifice.
Dave Mac - It was quite funny being in Canada, having you back home at 2am in the morning, waiting like an expectant parent for the result. You started this off and drove the team in the direction required to achieve this result. I just simply made sure we stayed on the path you set out.

Where To Next...........

2021 - South Africa. Can I just say, no matter what ever the future holds, I think any aspiring F Class shooter should be aware of the level of dedication required. Every member of the team has spent countless thousands of dollars to achieve this result. (Think upwards for $15,000) The investment in time has also consumed everyone. Some have been working towards it for over two years, some even longer, but the last 6 months for everyone has been nothing less than living and breathing everything shooting. Analysing every aspect of your gear and performance so as to leave "no stone unturned" I don't write this to scare anyone off thinking of undertaking the journey, on the contrary. I just wish to impart to the F Class community the level of dedication required, and that if they wish to undertake this journey, then they too will have a chance to be part of something very special, which they will remember the rest of their life.

Kind Regards

Craig McGowan.

John T

#244 Postby John T » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:10 pm

Hello Craig.

Congratulations to your Team for an extraordinary performance.

Congratulations to you for an outstanding contribution as Captain, Australian F Open Team, World Champions 2017.

Congratulations, you are now a permanent member of the core group which has, and will continue to guide our World Championship campaigns to South Africa and well beyond.

Very best regards,
John Tracey.

RAVEN

#245 Postby RAVEN » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:40 am

I would just like to say what a pleasure it was being part of this team
The level of professionalism bar sure has been raised through the hard work by all Australian team members and the wide support from the F-Class family goes along way to continue to encourage excellence with in are sport.

Australia continues to set the standard to which the rest of the F-Class world will aspire to.

To have won 2 gold medals Back to Back in far flung places is a huge achievement and BTW no fluke.

I would like to personally thank Dave Mc for the commitment he put towards the Australian Team his influence set the team on a gold medal path.

Craig Mc for a seamless hand over and a highly motivated individual with the team at his absolute centre.

Marty L for his motivation speeches get the absolute best of the team.

The management team Shane, Sharron, Stuart & Nikki for their hours and hours of organising everything to get the team there and back and looking fantastic in our range gear.

The coaching team Mike & Laz for their absolute commitment to the task out coaching well established legends of long range shooting.

Our committed and highly professional trigger pullers for all the work they did to get their gear up to world class standard.

And a special thanks to the back of house personnel Dobbo, Ben, Josh, & Lowell without their enthusiasm for their tasks would not have been the team that is.

THANKYOU

Richard Braund
Head Coach
Raton 2013
Connaught 2017

Josh Cox

#246 Postby Josh Cox » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:04 pm

Great post Marty !!!!

But, you didn't answer my question........... :)

John T

#247 Postby John T » Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:48 am

Hello Richard.

Now we have you on the line, there is a question for you. Were the conditions at Connaught easier than at Raton? You are the only one who can give a knowledgeable assessment.

Before you hand down your authoritative decision, the "family" would like to put forward a statistical scenario. (We all know about "lies; damn lies; and statistics.")

These are the scores from 2013 and 2017.
Australia 3490 +21 3511
USA 3475 +25 3500
South Africa 3445 +39 3484
Great Britain 3431 +52 3483
Average +34
Canada has been omitted because their increase was a massive 135; clearly a "damn lie" statistic.

The scores on Day One suggest difficult; Day Two looks like a breeze. USA and Germany certainly thought so.
Australia 1733 +45 1778
Canada 1737 +32 1769
USA 1716 +68 1784
South Africa 1717 +50 1767
Great Britain 1715 +53 1768
Germany 1645 +64 1709
Average +52

So the "family" says Connaught was easier. Over to you, Richard.

Believe us when we say that none of this is intended to influence your decision in any way. But a note of caution, Donald always accepts any bottom line that starts with "+".

VBR
JJT

RAVEN

#248 Postby RAVEN » Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:16 pm

Connaught was an interesting range
It’s controlled by the military and they don't really care about other events held there.

The flag poles are approx. 200mm diameter and the flags can hide on the Leeward side of the pole and not show any lift at all. So, we had to be careful what we were looking at.
One flag line only had 1 of 4 flags up the reason being no hardware and it seems some sort of over whelming problem for the military to be rectified even though Will Chou had been requesting it for 3.5 years.
Some flags only had one connection point and look like a piece of rag on a clothesline.
The flags were also at all different heights across the range.

The mirage told most of the story running and then slowing
Cold air would come in from the lake which created a very heavy soupy mirage and sighting was difficult then suddenly it would disappear and the sight picture was crystal.
This also displayed some vertical across the field of targets.
The Open Team had a small hiccup at the first 800m after a coaching discussion the approach going into the 900m was better and you would have seen a huge improvement.
The team had a game plan for the 2nd day and wasn't really required as the conditions were far better.

A lot of the time the mirage was not unlike what you would see at Belmont range.
My personal view is this Rifle range is not suitable for a WFC competition because of the flag issues.

This is by no way a reflection on our Canadian friends as their hands are tied and the owners of the rifle range have absolute control as you would imagine.

John to answer your question Connaught was more difficult in some ways and especially so for individual Bisley style shooting that's why I think that Rod Davies & Adam had an amazing outcome truly great marksman with superbly prepared gear. And they can read the wind.

3 things that give us the edge Leadership/great marksmen/great coaches
Now how that all comes together is somewhat confidential.
:wink:

johnk

#249 Postby johnk » Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:36 pm

Just read this on another forum where they were savaging a brand or two of rifle scopes:

XXXX wrote:I heard Everyone had trouble with their scope except some Davies guy

RAVEN

#250 Postby RAVEN » Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:09 pm

The NIGHTFORCE COMPETITION Scopes that the Australian team used were flawless
However the same can't be said for other brands

RB

RDavies

#251 Postby RDavies » Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:23 pm

RAVEN wrote:The NIGHTFORCE COMPETITION Scopes that the Australian team used were flawless
However the same can't be said for other brands

RB

Yes, I never heard of any issues with the Nightforce scopes. (unless I can blame mine for throwing a few shots just outside the line at 3 and 9 oclock???)
Last edited by RDavies on Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

pjifl

#252 Postby pjifl » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:07 pm

JohnK wrote:

I heard Everyone had trouble with their scope except some Davies guy

Can you give a link to that quote ?

As a matter of interest, I find much (most?) stuff on US shooting sites poor advice.

OK there are some exceptions which are excellent but so much seems to favor or bash sections of the US firearms industry.
Especially in the field of riflescope 'knowledge', 'fake news' seems to have been prominent for ages.

Much of the talk recently has been slanted to the short range few Benchrest shooters who are aspiring to shoot way better than 0.1 inch groups at 100y or making excuses for not achieving this.

I am not sure any variable magnification power scope of any brand is a good choice here.

Again, I believe the NF Comp scope is excellent for F Class - especially compared to others brands of similar light weight.

If I have any criticism, it is the choice of Graticules. But this is more a result of uninformed feedback from shooters who know no better and NF has to respond to what the masses call for or they will go out of business.

Peter Smith.

johnk

#253 Postby johnk » Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:20 pm

Peter, email sent.

It's a rubbish post apart from the quote

John

Frank Green

#254 Postby Frank Green » Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:15 am

Craig McGowan wrote:
bobeager wrote:Could the team captain or manager give us a rundown on the sponsors and their contribution. All things being equal it would be nice for shooters to support thesorganisations when considering future purchases

Nightforce Scopes - Scopes and Scope rings.
Bartlein Barrels - Barrels
Berger - Projectiles.

The amount and quantity I have left off on purpose, only to say that the level of sponsorship was extraordinary. Without the support of these sponsors the level of success achieved in Canada, would not have been possible.

As Captain of the F Open Team I would also like to personal thank:

Jamie Dennis from Nightforce.
Frank Green from Bartlein Barrels.
Emil Praslick from Berger Bullets.

In addition to the sponsors I would also like to thank:
NRAA - For their support in sending an outstanding Australian Team to Canada.
Catherine Berry (NRAA) - Catherine was tireless behind the scenes in sorting out export and import permits for all of the Australian Team. Without this we would not have made it out of the country.
My Team Mates - Your hunger and dedication to continue on from 2013 was second to none. We all thought that the bar was raised after the F Open Team returned in 2013, well I think that the bar has been raised again in terms of professionalism, dedication and sacrifice.
Dave Mac - It was quite funny being in Canada, having you back home at 2am in the morning, waiting like an expectant parent for the result. You started this off and drove the team in the direction required to achieve this result. I just simply made sure we stayed on the path you set out.

Where To Next...........

2021 - South Africa. Can I just say, no matter what ever the future holds, I think any aspiring F Class shooter should be aware of the level of dedication required. Every member of the team has spent countless thousands of dollars to achieve this result. (Think upwards for $15,000) The investment in time has also consumed everyone. Some have been working towards it for over two years, some even longer, but the last 6 months for everyone has been nothing less than living and breathing everything shooting. Analysing every aspect of your gear and performance so as to leave "no stone unturned" I don't write this to scare anyone off thinking of undertaking the journey, on the contrary. I just wish to impart to the F Class community the level of dedication required, and that if they wish to undertake this journey, then they too will have a chance to be part of something very special, which they will remember the rest of their life.

Kind Regards

Craig McGowan.

Craig and all of the Team Aussie Shooters, Your welcome on the sponsorship!

Also congrats on the great shooting and putting the heat on everyone at the World's! I did receive a few phone calls from Team USA shooters over the last few days and every phone call had mention Team Australia and how well you all performed! It didn't go unnoticed!

Best Regards, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

Frank Green

#255 Postby Frank Green » Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:20 am

AlanF wrote:
pjifl wrote:...Bartlein Barrels also had a hand in the Australian Performance...

And thanks to Craig McGowan and Frank Green for setting up the Australian import arrangements back just prior to the last FCWC. Bartleins were nigh on impossible to obtain here prior to that.

Your welcome Alan!!!!!

Best Regards, Frank

Return to “Events”