QRA Queens

Results, photos of recent events, plan future events, let people know where you'll be competing.

Moderator: Mod

Matt P

QRA Queens

#1 Postby Matt P » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:12 pm

Going by the entry form there looks like there will be squadding, does anyone know what format will be used ??
Matt P

LukeB

Re: QRA Queens

#2 Postby LukeB » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:48 pm

From the recent board meeting, it looks like squadding on final day of Duncan and Queens. Top 25 squadded from the centre of the range - out. No movement up the board and a gap between TR and F-Classes.

Matt P

#3 Postby Matt P » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:29 pm

Thanks for the update saves me heap of time and money.
Think I'll pass. IMO this is the worst form of squadding.
Good luck QRA.
Matt Paroz

AlanF

#4 Postby AlanF » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:11 pm

LukeB wrote:...squadding on final day of Duncan and Queens. Top 25 squadded from the centre of the range - out. No movement up the board and a gap between TR and F-Classes.

I can't see any major problem with it. The probable badge winners all shoot at the same time on the final day which is fair, but also it actually gives those outside the 25 the best chance of improving their position by way of shooting at a different time and possibly getting better conditions than the leaders.

KHGS

#5 Postby KHGS » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:04 am

AlanF wrote:
LukeB wrote:...squadding on final day of Duncan and Queens. Top 25 squadded from the centre of the range - out. No movement up the board and a gap between TR and F-Classes.

I can't see any major problem with it. The probable badge winners all shoot at the same time on the final day which is fair, but also it actually gives those outside the 25 the best chance of improving their position by way of shooting at a different time and possibly getting better conditions than the leaders.

Possibly the best option I have seen so far! A bit like a concurrent final.
Keith H.

LukeB

#6 Postby LukeB » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:46 am

Squadding must be a logistical nightmare for relevant state and national bodies. By limiting the squashing to the final day, a great deal of time can be saved at each range avoiding the "gap". The varied wind patches and target number (side of the range) have the greatest effect on score at the longs. There has to be a trade off of efficiency vs equitable conditions. With 4 ranges a day, we need to keep shooters rolling through.

AlanF

#7 Postby AlanF » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:26 am

LukeB wrote:Squadding must be a logistical nightmare for relevant state and national bodies.

Agreed. And that's why its only worth having if it clearly improves the equity of the competition.

Steve N

#8 Postby Steve N » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:57 am

There have been other squadding methods used throughout other Queens that have not had a gap and have been very successful. It is a pity that the best and fairest parts of these methods cannot be combined and used universally.
I personally like the way that NQ does theirs. They try to get all shooters in a discipline through as close as reasonably possible so the conditions are as similar as possible. Apparently the SA Queens method was popular and worked well but not sure if they had a gap.
As has been said before though, the better shooters win regardless.

Steve.

johnk

#9 Postby johnk » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:27 am

Steve N wrote:I personally like the way that NQ does theirs. They try to get all shooters in a discipline through as close as reasonably possible so the conditions are as similar as possible.

Bear in mind that they have relatively modest numbers but then again are supported by an outstanding CRO. 8)

Return to “Events”