Australia vs New Zealand F-Open Teams Match

Results, photos of recent events, plan future events, let people know where you'll be competing.

Moderator: Mod

ajvanwyk

Re: Australia vs New Zealand F-Open Teams Match

#106 Postby ajvanwyk » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:48 am

Congratulations to John Snowden who took TR by one V bull from Jim Bailey with 460. 45
Albert
Rosedale Rifle Club
Australian Points Series

6.5x55ai

#107 Postby 6.5x55ai » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:19 pm

Top performance Rob, nailed it in the first season in FO, and with a 6.5 in horrendous winds =D>

AlanF

#108 Postby AlanF » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:23 pm

Congrats to all winners - a great achievement to win in those conditions =D> =D> =D> .

RDavies

#109 Postby RDavies » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:26 pm

Congratulations to everyone who was able to keep all shots on paper in those conditions but most of all congrats to all the coaches for keeping everyone else on paper.

GSells

#110 Postby GSells » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:18 pm

Congratulations to the winners in fo , ftr and Tr . You certainly earned it !
This is a place where wind changes can blow you off the board ! Well done to the Australian team members in Fo and ftr that made it into the finals and did us all proud !
We all had a good time and I walked away with a little sadness. After saying goodbyes after dinner tonight ! It was an honour and privilege being a small part of the Team .
Safe travels home and hopefully may see you at the Nationals !
Regards Graham!

Gyro

#111 Postby Gyro » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:16 pm

GSells wrote:Congratulations to the winners in fo , ftr and Tr . You certainly earned it !
This is a place where wind changes can blow you off the board ! Well done to the Australian team members in Fo and ftr that made it into the finals and did us all proud !
We all had a good time and I walked away with a little sadness. After saying goodbyes after dinner tonight ! It was an honour and privilege being a small part of the Team .
Safe travels home and hopefully may see you at the Nationals !
Regards Graham!

Thanks guys for all the kind words. It was a hard week and I scraped in with a win. Never thought I could at the beginning of the week but I gradually developed some wind reading strategy after the two one-day lead up shoots.

Seems luck can perhaps play more of a part at Trentham re where u end up positioned on the range ? Seeing a 'pattern ' in the flags is at times bloody difficult. At the 900 yard final I studied the flags about an hour before the shoot and thought ..... "Yeah I can work with that ". By the time the final started I couldn't discern much at all in terms of a pattern so of course you end up firing what are effectively sighters right through your string.

Long story but Trentham can be bloody hard. BTW this was my 9th Nationals there. Regards Rob Kerridge.

GSells

#112 Postby GSells » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:47 am

Just to give an idea to our Aussie shooters here how nasty and cruel Trentham can be ? A lovely Kiwi ftr shooter was on my target and he was well in contention with the final if he nail it at both 1000 yds. He got touched up on the first 1000 . But on the second thousand and he was down just before me . He started of good and then 2,3’S and even a 1 from memory!! So if you caught in that crap , you are in serious trouble . You are unlikely to wait it out as the cycle last longer than what time u have !

Machine gunning will send u off the board as I only saw a condition hold there for a max of 15 seconds where one could make a 6 or x from a previous 3 and then you back using a record shot as a sighter again! I found the best thing to do was just have no plan at all . When u got down , just dial on wind and shoot . And let the computer between your ears do a whole lot of dialling and aiming off ( many times into the 3 ring ) .

Then there other times when the conditions were quite readable and a decent score could be posted, ( except for ^#*#*%# 3 ) that came in a drop off as you lost vision from the flags when u went to shoot.
I lost so many points just like that and learnt to shoot with both eyes open and in one case I wasn’t even looking through the scope when the trigger broke . As I was watching the flags !

Simply a must do to come and have a crack at this range . Forget about winning it as you will try to plan and play it safe . Which will just be no where good enough and get hammered! You don’t beat this range by playing it safe !
I heard a number shooters saying “ I might as well go and buy a lottery ticket !”

So it would seem there is a fair bit of luck in it if you have an easy Queens or a nasty one !

Gyro

#113 Postby Gyro » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:22 am

I reckon too with Trentham is it's often not the strong winds that screw u. It's the more lazy and fickle winds where the flags are all moving about ( in all directions ) but there's no real steady direction or prevailing pattern to them.

In last years final it blew hard and from behind and moved continuously both ways. But at least it kept coming back to a similar place. I got lucky that time as I worked with a "box" of 4 flags straight out in front through the middle of the range where I was positioned and sent shots away every time that box looked the same, or a small variation on that same pattern.

Worked that day but yesterday I had no real idea so fired sighters right through my string. That makes for nervous times as you expect the worst every time the target pops out of the butts !

ajvanwyk

#114 Postby ajvanwyk » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:02 am

Rob, you are being very humble and it is truly wonderful commentary from the Champion. Yes luck always plays some part but you were the most consistent shooter during all the days, not just one day or one range. This in itself prove that you are the worthy recipient of the Belt. Well done again Mate!!
Albert
Rosedale Rifle Club
Australian Points Series

GSells

#115 Postby GSells » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:18 pm

ajvanwyk wrote:Rob, you are being very humble and it is truly wonderful commentary from the Champion. Yes luck always plays some part but you were the most consistent shooter during all the days, not just one day or one range. This in itself prove that you are the worthy recipient of the Belt. Well done again Mate!!

Rob , second time you’ve won it ! I would say it’s a little more than luck ! Well
Done mate ! And with a 6.5 mm .

17brno

#116 Postby 17brno » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:50 pm

GSells wrote:
ajvanwyk wrote:Rob, you are being very humble and it is truly wonderful commentary from the Champion. Yes luck always plays some part but you were the most consistent shooter during all the days, not just one day or one range. This in itself prove that you are the worthy recipient of the Belt. Well done again Mate!!

Rob , second time you’ve won it ! I would say it’s a little more than luck ! Well
Done mate ! And with a 6.5 mm .

Actually its the 3rd time he has won it
1st Ftr 2014, 1st Ftr 2017,1st F open 2018
2nd Ftr 2016
3rd F open 2013

So I guess he must be doing something right lol

Well done Rob
Regards Ivan

Gyro

#117 Postby Gyro » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:35 pm

Thanks guys and thanks Ivan !

Far and away the biggest part of this stuff is the design/build of all the rifles I have been playing with in F Class. I like anything that's different and original and BTW while I remember : that stock of Alan F's is a bloody beauty !!! So bloody simple !!!

That's why Mike Collings ( he's a bloody legend ) from my club called me Gyro as "Gyro Gearloose" was a cartoon character from Donald Duck days and he used to make lots of wierd stuff.

RAVEN

#118 Postby RAVEN » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:37 pm

=D> =D> =D> Congratulations to all the winners well done Team Australia coaches and trigger pullers looks like some new blood for South Africa
RB

Tim N

#119 Postby Tim N » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:39 pm

So what was the 6.5 that won?
We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training. Archilochos 680-645 BC

Gyro

#120 Postby Gyro » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:30 pm

Secret, with secret bullets.

But seriously .... 6.5x284 firing 140 Berger Hybrids at 3k.

I got told by a few before Christmas that a 6.5 was NOT gonna cut it.

When the winds are hard like they were this time I'd say its absolutely not about the cartridge so much as it's actually more about the wind reading ! And anyway I really didn't give away much to the 7mm's because of the heavy energy restrictions at Trentham. The Labradar never appeared but every morning briefing it was mentioned as being ready to deploy.

I just pointed the bullets. Nothing else. Never sorted them and didn't weigh the cases. I use an old Ohaus beam scale for powder weighing BUT that scale will weigh to a kernel !

Malcolm Dodson is a TR shooter and was in our squad and was in top place after day one. That guy can read wind but he got a bagel on day two at 900 yards as the wind change was so rapid.

Return to “Events”