Victorian DRA teams

Results, photos of recent events, plan future events, let people know where you'll be competing.

Moderator: Mod

Lowanna

Victorian DRA teams

#1 Postby Lowanna » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:37 pm

Congratulations to Gippsland F Class teams.
F-Open 5 man team 1st place. =D>
F-Std 10 man team 1st place. =D>

williada

Re: Victorian DRA teams

#2 Postby williada » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:59 am

Bet that marker who went faster than an electronic target slept well. Great team effort across the classes with non shooters being an essential component to success and organisation. Thanks to Mrs Houston for keeping the tucker up.

bsouthernau

#3 Postby bsouthernau » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:08 am

Lowanna wrote:Congratulations to Gippsland F Class teams.

And to the Western District 5 person team.

Wal86

#4 Postby Wal86 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:49 am

I must say the markers were extremely good.
Well done [-o<

bartman007

#5 Postby bartman007 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:14 am

A great weekend was had. The weather was great and the shooting loads of fun.

Well done to all the teams who competed and to the Champions. Geoff Grenfell has a stake on the TR crown with I think 9 wins to date! And to Jenny Davies who changed to FTR, and won that too, incredible.

I was very happy to see Gippsland do so well. It all comes down to the effort put in by all involved, from markers, scorers, coaches, shooters, captains it was a combined effort that got us across the line!

Cheers.
###

AlanF

#6 Postby AlanF » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:44 am

williada wrote:Bet that marker who went faster than an electronic target slept well.

I didn't say he was faster, just better.... :D

Barry Davies

#7 Postby Barry Davies » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:56 am

bartman007 wrote: And to Jenny Davies who changed to FTR, and won that too, incredible.

Seems there was some concern that her rifle was overweight. :lol: :lol: :lol:
The rifle was checked by the CRO and easily passed all requirements. The projectiles were on the light side also. :P

saum2

#8 Postby saum2 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:03 am

Wal86 wrote:I must say the markers were extremely good.
Well done [-o<

You are welcome Gippsland.

ajvanwyk

#9 Postby ajvanwyk » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:29 am

Rebel105 wrote:
Wal86 wrote:I must say the markers were extremely good.
Well done [-o<

You are welcome Gippsland.

Geoff,

I have to echo the thoughts... it was probably the best manual marking I have seen... I have a nice whisky for you when we next meet.

Albert
Albert
Rosedale Rifle Club
Australian Points Series

DannyS

#10 Postby DannyS » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:04 am

Thanks Barry Southern for mentioning the No13 DRA ( Hamilton/Portland) 5 person F standard team. We had a close win and were very happy. Coaching conditions were challenging to say the least.

Cheers
DannyS
You might as well be yourself, everyone else is already taken.

Barry Davies

#11 Postby Barry Davies » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:27 am

Whilst not a team topic it is associated so I put it here for consideration.
The subject is Champion of Champions.
Currently the qualifying criteria to compete at State level is to have firstly won a club Championship then a DRA championship.
There have been instances ( and there were last weekend also ) where a person who has won a DRA Championship simply does not want to go on to a State Championship or for whatever reason does not turn up.
This is hardly fair on those who have put in over 12 months at club level and then lost out at DRA level then having to stand back and watch the competition without their DRA representative -usually because he ( or she ) doesn'nt feel like it.

My suggestion is that ALL club champions be eligible to compete at State level without having to go thru the DRA part of it for qualification. DRA's can still conduct championships at that level but it has no determination on who goes on to compete at State level.
Currently we have 11 active DRA's but usually 7 or 8 representatives is a good turn up. We have around 40 active clubs and if only half of them turn up that's still nearly 300% increase in competitors. More people on the mound can only be good for the movement --more money in the VRA coffers.

This was done many years ago at Williamstown and I think at Bendigo once and I don't know why it was not continued.
The shoot was conducted Bisley style, two to a target.
Any support?? Or other suggestions.
Barry

BillB

#12 Postby BillB » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:50 am

Great idea would get more to attend
Bill

bartman007

#13 Postby bartman007 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:54 am

The subject is Champion of Champions.
Currently the qualifying criteria to compete at State level is to have firstly won a club Championship then a DRA championship.
There have been instances ( and there were last weekend also ) where a person who has won a DRA Championship simply does not want to go on to a State Championship or for whatever reason does not turn up.
This is hardly fair on those who have put in over 12 months at club level and then lost out at DRA level then having to stand back and watch the competition without their DRA representative -usually because he ( or she ) doesn'nt feel like it.

I agree that it isn't great if the DRA Champion doesn't compete, however it should be addressed in the DRA. Maybe if the DRA runner up is available (where the Champion is not available due to illness or sudden work committment or other important reason) then that could be a satisfactory replacement.

The selection process still needs to be followed, where Club Champions shoot off at District Level to be eligible to compete for the Championship. After all, it is 12 months of shooting that decides who the Club Champion is.

On another note, an individual should have the right to become the District Champion even if he or she doesn't want to compete for the State Title. Maybe they can't afford to travel to Bendigo to compete, or are simply satisfied with acheiving District Champion status.

Unfortunately we don't go the next step to have our State Champion's shoot off at National Level to crown Australian Champions. Now I'd like to see that!
###

sungazer

#14 Postby sungazer » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:25 am

Looking at the VRA site it seems as that was done back in 2015. The travel for a team to travel interstate I think would put a few off. We had shooting members in our team that are well over 80. It required some effort just to get them to Bendigo. One received his 50 year continuous membership certificate without any acknowledgement on the day. Another has been a member for nearly 70 years.
I thought the presentation was absolutely underwhelming (sh.t). No mention of the DRA names who knows what district came second, third, fourth ect. The announcement was 3 came 4th, 7 came 3rd ect it was like the baseball comedy whose on 2nd.

Barry Davies

#15 Postby Barry Davies » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:45 am

BillB wrote:Maybe if the DRA runner up is available (where the Champion is not available due to illness or sudden work committment or other important reason) then that could be a satisfactory replacement.

G'day Mike,
The VRA have put the skids under that, so you would have to work on them.

BillB wrote:The selection process still needs to be followed, where Club Champions shoot off at District Level to be eligible to compete for the Championship. After all, it is 12 months of shooting that decides who the Club Champion is.

That's the part I don't like. Don't have a problem with DRA's still conducting their own Championship. It's who goes on to Bendigo I have a problem with. I believe that ALL CLUB champions should have the opportunity to compete at State level.
bartman007 wrote:
Unfortunately we don't go the next step to have our State Champion's shoot off at National Level to crown Australian Champions. Now I'd like to see that!

It used to happen at the Vic queens, every year until somebody saw fit to transfer it to Brisbane and then it just fizzled out!!!

Return to “Events”