Looking for feedback

Results, photos of recent events, plan future events, let people know where you'll be competing.

Moderator: Mod

AlanF

Re: Looking for feedback

#16 Postby AlanF » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:56 pm

mike H wrote:..Is there any solid documentation to support the belief that twenty shot strings are measurably more damaging than fifteen shot strings,thinking that very few F Open shooters would have ever shot a twenty shot string in Australia?

Mike,

Even the old timers from the 303 days refer to 20 shot shoots as "barrel burners". I can only go from the experience of feeling the barrel but I'm sure a scientifically sound study would show the same thing as far as temperature goes. The barrel surface is much hotter after 15 shots than 10, and hotter again after 20. And shooting faster definitely heats up the barrel much more. So a 20 shot string shoot would be the extreme case. As far as the relationship between throat erosion and barrel temperature, it stands to reason that a hotter barrel will accelerate the erosion process, which is said to be caused by a combination of heat and pressure.

Here's some links which may be worth a look :

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2016/06/how-long-will-your-barrel-last-dan-lilja-offers-some-guidelines/

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2014/10/how-to-wear-out-a-barrel-in-one-afternoon/

Jase PTRC

#17 Postby Jase PTRC » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:34 am

Great feedback so far guys, we are really looking forward to getting this happening and making it a premiere event on the shooting calendar.

ajvanwyk

#18 Postby ajvanwyk » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:38 am

Blow off shots / 100 yard range access every morning would be we a welcome addition too.
Albert
Rosedale Rifle Club
Australian Points Series

Jase PTRC

#19 Postby Jase PTRC » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:32 am

Yeah that is definitely on the cards Albert

Tim N

#20 Postby Tim N » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:04 am

Blow off shots in Connaught were done in a 1min period on the first range of the day and worked extremely well in the fact you could clean every night and let off a few foulers conveniently.
Can this be made part of this event? (and others)
We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training. Archilochos 680-645 BC

Jase PTRC

#21 Postby Jase PTRC » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:26 am

Tim blow off shots will be included, the way in which they are to be conducted honestly im not too sure as at this stage as we are still in preliminary planning and costing it all out. We did have them at the S.A. queens earlier this year and i think were allocated half an hour from either 7 or 7.30 in the morning each day.

Tim N

#22 Postby Tim N » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:09 pm

That would be great
All we did was fire into the mound while the targets were down, sounded like some military engagement :!:
We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training. Archilochos 680-645 BC

ShaneG

#23 Postby ShaneG » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:42 pm

Agree with most feedback here so far especially Tim; Alan and Rod!
Keep it long range
Make the 20 shot matches Bisley - actually I would prefer it all Bisley
Keep it to a separate 2 day match - as Rod said and it is easier for me to make a 2 day match than a full week plus travel!

The one proviso not mentioned that I would really, really like to see incorporated is squadded relays as per US. Say 2 pair per target?
Depending on targets available and number of competitors?

F Class dedicated targets and TR only targets. Works well in the states.

mike H

#24 Postby mike H » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:52 pm

I hope the long range event gets off the ground,as the South Australian Match Rifle Championships are on the 25th and 26th of August,I can't see myself making two trips to Lower Light in a month.

Jase PTRC

#25 Postby Jase PTRC » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:05 pm

ShaneG wrote:Agree with most feedback here so far especially Tim; Alan and Rod!
Keep it long range
Make the 20 shot matches Bisley - actually I would prefer it all Bisley
Keep it to a separate 2 day match - as Rod said and it is easier for me to make a 2 day match than a full week plus travel!

The one proviso not mentioned that I would really, really like to see incorporated is squadded relays as per US. Say 2 pair per target?
Depending on targets available and number of competitors?

F Class dedicated targets and TR only targets. Works well in the states.

Shane could you explain further how the squadding was organised? are you saying all Ftr shoot together all f open together etc.?

bartman007

#26 Postby bartman007 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:19 pm

In regard to duration of time away from home, if it was tacked on to the queens event, people could elect to simply shoot 3 days of Queens then 2 days of Bisley.

Alternatively if fatigue was the only concern, you could delay the Bisley event by 1 day to give shooters a break between Queens series and Bisley event.

As for 20 shot matches and the heat build up, I think Bisley style should address that concern. You should get a minimum 45 seconds to a minute between shots going down your barrel. Not 5 to 30 seconds that is being done now.

Some great feedback coming in!
###

bartman007

#27 Postby bartman007 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:21 pm

Definitely prefer Open with Open and FTR with FTR for Bisley squadding.
###

ShaneG

#28 Postby ShaneG » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:24 am

Jase
The yanks usually run 4 shooters to a target on 2 relays of 2 shooters.
You are positioned according to your grade first day and subsequent days by results.
This is for string fire but Bisley negates that criteria.
FO will have 2 shooters in a relay and F/TR x 2 in second relay or vice versa?
They usually swap which discipline starts each day.
As Bartman say above - best for all.
They also have Palma or TR on their own dedicated targets
How many targets can Lower Light field?

johnk

#29 Postby johnk » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:57 am

ShaneG wrote:How many targets can Lower Light field?

How many are you willing to pay for is the likely answer. Scroll down the Phoenix club web site. I count 30 targets.

http://www.phoenixtargetrifleclub.com.au/

Jase PTRC

#30 Postby Jase PTRC » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:20 am

Shane as Johnk has mentioned we do have the ability to run 30 targets, a balance of target costs vs how many shooters per target will have to be met so as not to have the entry fee blow out. The idea will be to have early registration and pre paid entries with a cut off date for this competition to aid in planning. We will have paid markers also

Return to “Events”