Vic Queens F-Open Diary

Results, photos of recent events, plan future events, let people know where you'll be competing.

Moderator: Mod

AlanF

Vic Queens F-Open Diary

#1 Postby AlanF » Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:55 pm

Hello to all who won't be at the Vic Queens.

I've just arrived in Bendigo and am looking forward to another 5 day feast of shooting. Still a bit concerned about the F-Open numbers in the leadup. I'll be shooting Std in Syme, then Open in the Queens.

Will try to get some details on equipment, and give a weather report etc. each night. The forecast is for fine and warm over the first 4 days at least, tomorrow a moderate to fresh southerly, which is over the right shoulder at this range.

Catch you tomorrow night.

Alan :)

AlanF

#2 Postby AlanF » Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:39 pm

Day one of the Syme is over - here is link to the VRA results :

http://www.vra.asn.au/results/2007/syme1f.shtml

Six F-Open in the Syme, and at least 3 more in the Queens, so I've certainly seen worse numberswise.

Equipment :

Paul (Chopper) Read 6x47 Lapua
Bill Siegloff 6 Dasher
Kelvin Bell 6.5-284
Shane Quaintmere 6x47 Lapua
Kevin Wilkins 6.5x55
Albert Mikulandra .308

Weather was fine and warm, but with a southerly breeze occasionally cooling things a little, and causing problems for some shooters.

Paul Read is looking very solid - has an exceptionally accurate rifle, and good weather reading skills - watch out for this bloke if he decides to stay in F-Open!

Back tomorrow night :D

Alan

Paul Janzso

VRA Queens

#3 Postby Paul Janzso » Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:10 am

Thanks for the update Allan, I'm sure I will be there next year.

Might even see you at the Bendigo OPM.

cHEERS
pAUL

PS. I tried to talk Albert into shooting in F Class Standard with his 308, he shot really well at the last teams match we both shot in at Mount Barker.
Time's a wasted wot's not spent shooti'n BARNARD 300WSM's

Simon C

#4 Postby Simon C » Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:31 am

Yes...tell him that the 155's do shoot well in his rifle!!
"Aim small, miss small"

Simon

AlanF

#5 Postby AlanF » Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:27 pm

Hello again from Bendigo. A very warm day today, with a few hot and cold performances. Paul Read continued his strong performance, but Kelvin Bell and Kevin Wilkins improved their positions at the longs as you would expect with 6.5mms! Bill Siegloff was shooting off a heavy bench with 7x284 which on paper looked the goods, but he must have had problems, and slipped to fourth. Congrats to Paul, and I hope he has got the bug and will continue to shoot open.

See Syme Aggregate

Tomorrow, we've been moved to the opposite side of the range, which could be a challenge depending on wind direction. I believe there will be at least 11 in the field, which is the same as last year. Forecast is for 33 with light northerlies. Catch you tomorrow night.

Alan

Ken L

#6 Postby Ken L » Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:08 pm

Alan
What side of the range did they shoot the FO in the Syme.

It seems that the web site has some layout problems otherwise Jenny Davies has won the F Standard B Grade event :oops:

agro

LeadUp

#7 Postby agro » Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:45 pm

They used C8 for the SYMES and are using A1 for the Queens

AlanF

#8 Postby AlanF » Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:45 pm

Ken,

Syme was on RHS as per the previous 2 Queens I've shot at. Not sure why we can't move across with the F-Std and full-bore - seems that the butts people don't want to have to keep track of our target!

Yes there are some formatting problems on the Queens results pages, some which date back to previous years unfortunately. Yes they have F-Std A and B reversed in the Syme (when I last looked at least).

Alan

AlanF

#9 Postby AlanF » Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:52 pm

Hello F-Open non-attendees,

As expected we have 6 in addition to the Syme :

Paul McCarthy is using a 6 Dasher then a 30-284
Wayne McFarlane has a 284Win
Gary Hunt and Rod Mahon both have 6BRs
And I am back in F-Open with a 6.5-284.

Queens Day 1 Results

Paul Read has drawn away again with some very good shooting, with a few of us trying to keep in touch. The trouble is with this bloke he could keep pulling away at the longs! Did you send him to fill in for you Matt P? :D A few have had more than their share of problems. Kevin Wilkins was bowling along very nicely until what looked like a bad barrel fouling problem at the 3rd range. Shane Quaintmere is continuing to experience the elevation problems he had in the Syme, and Rod Mahon has been popping primers.

Given this is his first Queens and he's using a factory rifle, Albert Mikulandra is putting up an impressive performance with some very tight groups at the shorts.

As always, it ain't over till the longs, so anyone within 15 or so points of the lead before the 900 tomorrow could figure in the finish. Weather looks conducive to some good scores at 600 tomorrow, fine with light winds, although things can get very tricky here even in light conditions.

Catch you again tomorrow night.

#10 Postby Guest » Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:54 am

Quote by Alan F " Hello F-open Non- attendees "

Gees Alan you'r game,Imagine the pages of raving self justification if I had said that.
Yep, pretty poor attendance by FO considering there were two " come overs " from FS.
On a brighter note 35 FS shooters almost equally divided into A and B grades- Pretty good, and will only get better.
Barry

ned kelly

#11 Postby ned kelly » Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:31 pm

G'day all,
ok Barry I'll take the bait.........
To all who are wondering why F class esp open class numbers are down. There is another game in town

Every labour day long weekend in Portland is the (my opinion) THE premier Victorian SR BR match, the Crayfish Classic that attracts a good field of shooters from far and wide, esp Sth Aust. Most of the SSAA Portland based FO shooters are either shooting BR or running the match. And given that the BR nationals are going to be held at Little River over Easter you may find there are many shooters who are more interested in being BR shooters than FO shooters (at least for this year anyway)

And there is the 500m fly match in Canberra this weekend as well.

So you can see that there is too many choices for descerning precision shooters from Victoria this weekend. So please resist the temptation for making uninformed opinions (possibly rash ones at that) without all of the relevant info!

Cheerio Ned
PS I'd be at Portland if I had the time off work.

AlanF

#12 Postby AlanF » Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:59 pm

Barry Davies wrote:...Non- attendees "...Gees Alan you'r game,Imagine the pages of raving self justification if I had said that.
Yep, pretty poor attendance by FO considering there were two " come overs " from FS...

Well actually Barry I'll take the bait too. Non-attendees was meant without any malice - it means those who can't be there, and would like to be.

And 8 Victorian F-Open shooters is much better than 2005 (3) and 2006 (4) wouldn't you say? And what's this about "come overs"??? Hmmm...

Alan

ned kelly

#13 Postby ned kelly » Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:02 pm

G'Day Alan & Barry,
I just wanted to ensure that those who are interested were properly informed. We all know what can happen when all the info isn't readily apparent.
Cheerio Ned

#14 Postby Guest » Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:03 pm

Actually I was referring to the Dinki Di FO shooters Ned, Not BR or Fly, but if the cap fits------
FS numbers are up up up, as was to be expected, with the inclusion of B grade. Knew they would be.
Barry

AlanF

#15 Postby AlanF » Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:43 pm

To all F-Open shooters who are unfortunate enough not to be competing at the Vic Queens (is that better Barry?)

Weather was not so kind today - wind was gusting to strong with a rear fishtail. Particularly at 900 scores suffered. Over the day, I did less badly the others in the leading group, and am leading Paul Read in the progessive agg by 1 point with Paul McCarthy and Bill Siegloff well within reach if they have better luck tomorrow.

Queens Day 2 Results

Weather looks like being no better tomorrow. Should be an interesting finish! Will probably post from home late tomorrow night. Catch you then.

Return to “Events”