FCWC 2021

Results, photos of recent events, plan future events, let people know where you'll be competing.

Moderator: Mod

AlanF

Re: FCWC 2021

#16 Postby AlanF » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:12 am

Agree with Mike that we have to tread lightly here - as far as I know, South African Bisley Union (SABU) has given no indication of doubt about holding the event. Unless and until they do that, you couldn't expect the NRAA Board to make an offer to hold it at Belmont.

But if it does become likely that the event won't be in South Africa, then we can feel entitled to put a huge amount of pressure on the NRAA to have it here, particularly after the debacle where they failed to put a bid in for 2025. And that pressure should not be confined to the "approved channels". That failed last time.

jasmay

#17 Postby jasmay » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:41 am

I’d echo the sentiment of treading carefully, until there is an issue let’s not make it one.

What I believe we should be focusing on is applying pressure in the right spots to have some early announcements on a leadership team for 2021, there is a lot that could be achieved early in the peace which would remove pressure from the team to be a Ken to focus on training closer to the event. Again, with just over a year to prepare it was a rushed affair, yet, a lot was achieved as could be seen in the results, imagine what we could achieve if we had a lengthened time to do so, IMO, announcing some key players this year would be a huge benefit.

saum2

#18 Postby saum2 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:42 am

Just to clarify things, the NRAA Australian Team toured and competed in SA late last year without any security issues. In fact the message i got was the SA shooters welcomed Aust and nothing was too much trouble. Practice shoots on private ranges etc, I have spoken to one of the Aust team members, yes the team was well secured and were very careful, told what not to do etc.

Before suggesting security is an issue I think Tim L was suggesting the FC community lobby the NRAA to put their hand up to host in the event SA pull out. Also, to lobby the NRAA to host the FCWC at the next available opportunity.
In essence, agreeing with Alan and Jasmay in the earlier posts
Geoff

bartman007

#19 Postby bartman007 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:05 am

Again, with just over a year to prepare it was a rushed affair, yet, a lot was achieved as could be seen in the results, imagine what we could achieve if we had a lengthened time to do so, IMO, announcing some key players this year would be a huge benefit.

IMO we should be careful in not dragging out the process too far (2 years was long enough). As it puts a lot of work and cost on people to travel to attend training sessions, along with keeping equipment at a competitive level, as well as managing individual's hopes of getting into the team.

With that said, if the Captain was selected early, then Talent Development squads could be created with the purpose to raise our membership proficiency. Of course this could be done at State Level now, as our State Teams benefit from this approach.

In regard to South Africa: I am prepared to take the appropriate precautions relevant to visiting that country. As with any overseas competition, you need to take into account local conditions. After all, look at our Olympians currently competing in South Korea!
###

GSells

#20 Postby GSells » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:27 pm

mike H wrote:I am sure this issue has been raised with the best of intentions,however I would urge care and diplomacy before Australia becomes the nation seen as trying to jump the queue as well as bad mouthing another nations security
Mike.

Absolutely Mike , you are correct . My sincere apologies to S.A !

Peter Hulett

#21 Postby Peter Hulett » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:29 pm

We have shot the SA championships twice now and have toured extensively after each shoot by hiring cars and driving around. I have heard all the horror stories about security but in reality it is not an issue. You take the usual precautions and everything is fine. Bad news travels faster than good news. The SA Bisley Union is a very well organised shooting body and I would have no doubt that they will organise a great championships.
I would be more scared of Fortitude Valley in Brisbane or King St. Melbourne after dark than I would be in Bloemfontein.
Peter

Tim L

#22 Postby Tim L » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:06 pm

Just to clarify this isn't about a security in SA. As someone has said, there are places here that a wise man would avoid. It is just about putting our hat in the ring for IF there is an issue. All the shooters from SA that were in Canada were very excited, honoured even, about the oppertunity to host and I got the impression that it would be a great atmosphere for those that go, but there were also underlying discussions about problems that might occur.
This certainly isn't an attempt to usurp the honours, its just about supporting or sport , and fellow shooters, by saying we can step in if necessary.

John T

#23 Postby John T » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:08 am

Hello.

To date, the informal rotation governing the hosting of FCWC has been;
1. 2002 Canada
2. 2005 South Africa
3. 2009 Great Britain
4. 2013 USA
1. 2017 Canada
2. 2021 South Africa (Confirmed)
3. 2025 Great Britain (Confirmed?)
4. 2029 USA (TBC)

At the 2013 Meeting (Raton) of the ICFRA F Class Committee, there were two bids, RSA and GB, for 2021. After it was noted that RSA was next in rotation, the GB bid was withdrawn.

In 2013, it is understood that there was disappointment within the Committee that Australia had not expressed an interest to bid to host. (Australia had competed in 2002, Silver, behind USA. Note, the Meeting was held BEFORE the 2013 competition; Australia, Gold, ahead of USA.) Our Representative, Cedric May, might enlighten us.

At Ottawa in 2017, it is presumed that GB was confirmed as host for 2025. As yet, there are no Minutes. The Australian Representative at the Meeting (Craig McGowan?) is our source of what transpired. Over to "you".

It would have been inappropriate for Australia to have submitted a bid at the 2017 FCC Meeting to host the 2025 FCWC. Firstly, GB had bid in 2013 for 2021, but accepted rotation in favour of RSA, with the proviso that it would bid in 2017 for 2025 and claim its rostered position. There was and is no reason for GB to relinquish its entitlement to host 2025. It will not happen.

At best, Australia might have requested in 2013 and in 2017, that it be added to the rotation roster. And what might have been the decision of the FCC? Simple answer is, Australia would be added as number 5, behind USA. On rotation, that means Australia hosts in 2033.

Get used to it.

Regards,
John Tracey.

bainp

#24 Postby bainp » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:04 am

The opportunity to enter the rotation appears to have been lost at the FCWC in 2009 when held at Bisley. Only 3 Australian F Class shooters competed in that FCWC, including the previous poster. My recollection is that nominations were called for a team to compete at that World Championship but the NRAA did not get enough interest to form a team to compete.
If people are interested in the processes of ICFRA and the decisions made, go to the ICFRA website and you can read the minutes of previous F Class Committee meetings at various times (click on the "Minutes" tab).
If Australia wants to hold the FCWC then it must present a team at all Championships so that it can have a say in the decision making process.
Regards - Philip

Joe308

#25 Postby Joe308 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:12 am

I’m South African and shot with a few of you last year at Connaught. I can assure you that SA is as safe as anywhere else if you stick to the right places and take the necessary precautions. The range is top class with plenty of flags (new ones, all tight to the pole :)) and good ablution facilities, just no Army Mess for lunch. The range is slightly bigger than Connaught and hosts the SA champs every year where about 500 shooters attend. Sabu is well organised and the Senior GB and Aus TR, and junior US, GB and Canadian TR teams toured here last year and it might be a good idea to chat to those team members to ally any fears.

Hodgdon and Vihtavuori are available here but you will have to make provision in time. The GB team imported all their ammo last year. The FCWC website should be up in April and will contain lots of info.

I stand under correction but countries tender to host the FCWC which is then put to a vote at ICFRA. We were given a choice at our national F class AGM 2 years ago to vote for Ireland or England for 2025.

Regards,
Joe

Tim N

#26 Postby Tim N » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:18 am

Thanks for the information Joe.
Nothing like local knowledge!
We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training. Archilochos 680-645 BC

AlanF

#27 Postby AlanF » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:22 am

I hope South Africa has a great FCWC. They have a governing body who wants to run it, and for that reason it will probably be a better event than we could provide.

bruce moulds

#28 Postby bruce moulds » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:37 pm

AlanF wrote:I hope South Africa has a great FCWC. They have a governing body who wants to run it, and for that reason it will probably be a better event than we could provide.

very well put alan.
keep safe,
bruce.
"SUCH IS LIFE" Edward Kelly 11 nov 1880
http://youtu.be/YRaRCCZjdTM

GSells

#29 Postby GSells » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:18 pm

Joe308 wrote:I’m South African and shot with a few of you last year at Connaught. I can assure you that SA is as safe as anywhere else if you stick to the right places and take the necessary precautions. The range is top class with plenty of flags (new ones, all tight to the pole :)) and good ablution facilities, just no Army Mess for lunch. The range is slightly bigger than Connaught and hosts the SA champs every year where about 500 shooters attend. Sabu is well organised and the Senior GB and Aus TR, and junior US, GB and Canadian TR teams toured here last year and it might be a good idea to chat to those team members to ally any fears.

Hodgdon and Vihtavuori are available here but you will have to make provision in time. The GB team imported all their ammo last year. The FCWC website should be up in April and will contain lots of info.

I stand under correction but countries tender to host the FCWC which is then put to a vote at ICFRA. We were given a choice at our national F class AGM 2 years ago to vote for Ireland or England for 2025.

Regards,
Joe

Thanks Joe for the info .Please forgive my ignorant comments ? :D

John T

#30 Postby John T » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:07 pm

Hello.

It seems that Ireland (ROI) is now in the mix. Joe tells us that ROI made a bid in 2017 to host in 2025. Cheeky! No "rotation" in their eyes. (Pity we have not been kept informed by our own representatives.)

Once Australia is an official contender, there will be six countries vying to host.

Will this see the end of "rotation" and the rise of a genuine bidding process every four years?

There is no longer any doubt that Australia must bid for the 2029 FCWC.

The bid should be submitted in timely manner for it to be considered at the FCC Meeting at Bloemfontein in 2021.

Regards,
John Tracey.

Return to “Events”