Given Current Component Availability...

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

AlexE

Given Current Component Availability...

#1 Postby AlexE » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:59 am

G'day Folks,

Given the current supply problems with brass and projectiles (Berger being non existent in most cals, Sierra pricing themselves out of the market, SAUM brass being thin on the ground, reports of Hornady ELDs being inconsistent and flying apart), what would you chamber a barrel in for club level shooting?

I'll probably never shoot a queen's, and rarely an OPM - just my local club shoots from 200-900 yards.

Ideally I would put together another SAUM, but brass and projectiles would be a problem. I have three club mates shooting 6.5s of various chamberings that are scratching for projectiles, 6mm chamberings will challenge my bad wind reading at 900 (plus there are no Bergers in the country for these).

With my first child imminent, stocking up on a couple of thousand projectiles and several hundred shells is not the slightest bit wife friendly, so I need something that I can rely on a regular supply of for the life of a barrel

Any advice?

DannyS

Re: Given Current Component Availability...

#2 Postby DannyS » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:19 am

You probably don’t want to hear it, but go for a 308 and keep things simple, shoot 155s
You might as well be yourself, everyone else is already taken.

macguru

#3 Postby macguru » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:32 am

Everybody should have a 308, or a 308 chambered barrel they can put in their rifle for when their favourite exotica cannot be supported with projectiles and brass.
id quod est

pjifl

#4 Postby pjifl » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:43 am

I have been recently playing with 6.5s again. Have used 6.5x47, 6.5 Creedmoor, 6.5x55, and Improved 6.5 x55 (Rogue) over the years. In the ultimate competition, none fully compete with the 7mms.

They can all shoot very well - and all with unmodified cases. I have moved away from any Neck Turning and these days want to use as standard brass as is possible.

After experimenting, I believe the 6.5 Creedmoor is the best balanced compromise. This is in part because the case capacity suits a readily available Australian powder (2209) almost to perfection. There is no doubt that one can find higher 6.5 performance but at a real cost in barrel life. Personally, I believe the old 6.5x55 is just as good but the Creedmoor should be a little kinder on barrels. Lapua Brass is readily available and it seems to have taken off enough so sourcing components is a safe bet.

Maybe Hornady ELDs do not have the reputation that Bergers have for consistency but I have seen good results. I would be using the 140 Hornady ELDs or the old Lapua 139 Skenas if you can find them while you wait for Bergers - but could be a long wait !
Keep the SAUM or 7mm 284 for the real longs although a good 6.5 will still have a chance in the right hands.

BUT - for a club gun or general purpose shooting gun, the Creedmoor is my first recommendation.

Peter Smith.

Tim N

#5 Postby Tim N » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:44 am

Size the saum brass to 300 saum and shoot it that way.
Barrels should last longer.
Just a thought
We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training. Archilochos 680-645 BC

pjifl

#6 Postby pjifl » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:55 am

I see some suggesting 30 cal either in 308W or something else. Definitely not a silly idea.

I would not be changing 7 SAUM to 308 just to keep shooting, however, unless you have a good source of SAUM brass. This thread is very much related to unavailability of components.

Peter Smith.

Brad Y

#7 Postby Brad Y » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:22 am

Club fun gun to me says 6br all over it. Stupid accurate and they can sometimes run with the 7’s if short range conditions allow. Be a great practice cal for a saum if you ever get into comps.

ShaneG

#8 Postby ShaneG » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:51 am

Glad to see your recommendation Peter of the Creedmore!
I have just today obtained a T3X CTR 24" t1/8 twist to have trial with on our club days and I could use it for PRS with a suitable scope as well.
I am positive it will outshoot the Ruger Precision at a similar price point.
Will advise how it goes? Will replace the factory zero rail with a 20moa
Whack a scope on and check with some Federal 130gr Bergers for starters?

Chris H

#9 Postby Chris H » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:15 pm

If you're looking for a challenge as well as something cheap to run don't discount the 223Rem. With the goal of conserving both projectiles and barrel life in my 308W FTR and match rifle barrels, for supply and demand mean that even 30 cal projectiles are expensive, unavailable or both depending on what projectile weight you're after, I decided after some deliberation settled on a 223R Tikka re-barrelled with a 32" 1:7 twist barrel chambered to shoot 80- 90gr Berger's. Price and availability of components is good with projectiles $37-$55/100 depending on what and how many you buy and good quality ADI/OSA cases to be had for as little as $33/100. As an added bonus powder charge weight is less although you have to be absolutely spot on with both powder charge and seating depth. It is an absolute pleasure to shoot and while it is true that it tests your wind reading skills to the limit at the longer ranges you could limit it to 600 yards/metres and use other gear for the longer distances, and I have done this myself, although I have also found the 223R more than capable of decent scores in the mid to high 50's at those longer distances using moly coated 90 VLD's in OSA cases.

ben_g

#10 Postby ben_g » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:06 pm

6mm Dasher.

I had a 6.5x47 and shot 130’s with it, I don’t think I am losing any ballistic advantage by going to the Dasher, 140gr 6.5mm bullets might be a different story. But so far I am enjoying the Dasher much more than the 6.5

Lots of options imported or local with 6mm projectiles. Sierra 107’s are only around 50c each and seem readily available. Copperhead, I just picked up 1000 Berger Hybrids.

All you need for club shooting really. Plenty of performance up to 900 yards when it’s not a Queens. You’ll become a better wind reader.

Want more performance? Go for one of the bigger 6mm, I like the look of the 6mm SLR

UL1700

#11 Postby UL1700 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:42 pm

I run a 308 and 6mm, formally in BR flavour and Now Dasher. All match grade components can be tricky to get but 6mm and 308 both seem to have stronger supply then others. I have just started to purchase in lots of 2000 projectiles and 4 or 8KG of powder at a time (I run 2208 in everything including hunting calibers). It's hurts at the time but it helps guarantee supply, small discounts apply (huge discounts, nearly 50% buying 4kg of powder thought the VRA vs .5kg locally), and it saves having to constantly check your favourite load (I had 10 thou difference base to Ogive between my last and current batch of 105VLDs)

Chris R

#12 Postby Chris R » Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:54 pm

Yes going back to f standard using a 308 for same reason
Chris Rigby

SunnyCoast 5r

#13 Postby SunnyCoast 5r » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:22 pm

I’m with ShaneG on this one...same rifle for me too!

Lapua 6.5 Creedmoor small primer brass should last a while; seems to be good factory loads available; fair choice of pills (except Berger?); and has a reputation as an easy to load cal.

Or just use a 223...several blokes at North Arm have them working just fine!

GSells

#14 Postby GSells » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:01 am

Since everyone is offering.... 7:08 ai with 9 twist and 180 eld . 308 cases and ballistics of the same as a 338 edge . Can shoot out to 1.4 km at 2750 FPS . Low recoil long barrel life and super accurate!
Also I’m not biased much haha!
If u r going to shoot Bergers or copper heads 1-8.75 twist is better .
Also support Aussie , look up copper heads ! 8)

BRETT B

#15 Postby BRETT B » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:48 am

For Club shooting only or maybe a prize meet here or there the 6BR or any of its variants (Dasher,BRA,BRX etc) would be my pick. They are not fussy on Bullets and they are still very cheap compared to larger cals. Powder is easy and with only 30-32 gns of 2208 it lasts for ages. Accuracy wise there is really nothing that can compete with it , Brass and Dies available everywhere plus great barrel life.

Thats my Pick!!!
BRETT BUNYAN F CLASS OPEN SHOOTER W.A.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”