Rifle weighing scales.

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Peter Hulett

Re: Rifle weighing scales.

#16 Postby Peter Hulett » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:13 am

Alan, the VRA has always had a certified set of scales and a trigger weight and these are available for the use of members. They are always with me when I am officiating on the range. I would have thought that most VRA members knew that. Certainly all who attended the VRA are familiar with them. Canberra now has a certified set of scales and weights and I will be using them in November.

bartman007

#17 Postby bartman007 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:29 am

I agree with Peter, the VRA has had certified scales for some years now. And from what i have seen, they are calibrated periodically too. Well done!
###

mike H

#18 Postby mike H » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:46 pm

At the risk,probably a great risk,of appearing to be difficult,could I ask regarding calibrating scales,by who,how and where and is the calibrated weight absolute,or is there a tolerance?
Mike.

Peter Hulett

#19 Postby Peter Hulett » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:36 am

Calibrated by professional weights and scales company at a cost to the VRA. Checked annually before the Queens series. Tolerances (I think +- 1 gram) are listed on the certificate issued which is available on the range for anybody to see.

sungazer

#20 Postby sungazer » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:57 am

When it comes to measurements there is really no such thing as an absolute unless you are NMI, even then there are tolerances given for the standards.

AlanF

#21 Postby AlanF » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:26 am

Peter Hulett wrote:Alan, the VRA has always had a certified set of scales and a trigger weight and these are available for the use of members. They are always with me when I am officiating on the range. I would have thought that most VRA members knew that. Certainly all who attended the VRA are familiar with them. Canberra now has a certified set of scales and weights and I will be using them in November.

Peter,

I was aware of the scales at Bendigo, but think weights would be a more direct and less error prone way for us to calibrate our personal scales. May also save the VRA from having to send away its own scales for calibration, possibly what Canberra is doing.

mike H

#22 Postby mike H » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:22 pm

Thanks Peter.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”