Australian Outback NRAA ammo

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

fclass556

Australian Outback NRAA ammo

#1 Postby fclass556 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:01 am

Just curious if anyone has used the NRRA 155.5 Australian Outback ammo or done any real testing on it.? I've reloaded for years now and and can count on one hand the amount of times Ive used factory loads in that time. When you weigh up the cost of a hand loaded 308 round using Lapua brass, Berger Proj's, primer, powder etc THEN put into dollars your time and effort making ammo you might be surprised. For club days and practise shoots Im thinking about grabbing a couple of boxes and just see how they go. Was just interested if anyone else has used the factory stuff and how it performed as it does work out cheaper. Cheers, Andy
'AIM TWICE .. SHOOT ONCE "

UL1700

Re: Australian Outback NRAA ammo

#2 Postby UL1700 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:15 pm

Current VRA / QRA pricing, assuming 10 reloads per case, using Lapua Palma brass, CCI 450s, 4kg of 2208 or 06H and Berger 155.5 in 500 lots works out at about $1.13 per round plus an hour to load a hundred at $50? per hour would be a $1.63 per round vs NRAA 308W 155gr HBC 20rd at $28.00 / $1.40 per round plus free brass lol. So yes if you value your time then a $$s saving maybe. The issue is that it's that extra 10 cents per round that makes your equipment competitive in terms of tune and velocity and that doesn't come without range time and lots of it. This is extra important for an upstart like me who has decades of wind study ahead of them. So much of this sport for me is a mind game and if I know that I have then the best then I have the possibility of being the best! For me club days and practise shoots are all about development and tuning so that when it's competition time I get to go knowing that what I have with me is the best I can produce. It's also the constant tinkering that keeps me interested, if I ever lose interest in the development side of things I suspect the rifles will end up sold pretty quickly.

James

fclass556

#3 Postby fclass556 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:26 pm

UL1700 wrote:Current VRA / QRA pricing, assuming 10 reloads per case, using Lapua Palma brass, CCI 450s, 4kg of 2208 or 06H and Berger 155.5 in 500 lots works out at about $1.13 per round plus an hour to load a hundred at $50? per hour would be a $1.63 per round vs NRAA 308W 155gr HBC 20rd at $28.00 / $1.40 per round plus free brass lol. So yes if you value your time then a $$s saving maybe. The issue is that it's that extra 10 cents per round that makes your equipment competitive in terms of tune and velocity and that doesn't come without range time and lots of it. This is extra important for an upstart like me who has decades of wind study ahead of them. So much of this sport for me is a mind game and if I know that I have then the best then I have the possibility of being the best! For me club days and practise shoots are all about development and tuning so that when it's competition time I get to go knowing that what I have with me is the best I can produce. It's also the constant tinkering that keeps me interested, if I ever lose interest in the development side of things I suspect the rifles will end up sold pretty quickly.

James

All fair points James and fully agree. Was just curious to see if anyone had actually used the Aus Outback ammo because it performed extremely well at the recent Comm Games here. ps .. if you can load 100 rounds from scratch (especially once fired) in an hour .. you're doing it better than I am .. Cheers and thanks matey. Andy. :D
'AIM TWICE .. SHOOT ONCE "

UL1700

#4 Postby UL1700 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:41 pm

fclass556 wrote:[All fair points James and fully agree. Was just curious to see if anyone had actually used the Aus Outback ammo because it performed extremely well at the recent Comm Games here. ps .. if you can load 100 rounds from scratch (especially once fired) in an hour .. you're doing it better than I am .. Cheers and thanks matey. Andy. :D

Agreed it would be interesting to see how it performed! Also if you were just starting out then it would be interesting to have your barrel throated specifically for the OSA load then you can give the throat a nip when you start loading your own. I tend to neck size, knock the primers out and SS tumble or ultrasonic when I get home. Leave for a few days then speed is all thanks to Adams Auto Trickler although when I want to hold +0.001gram -0.000 it takes a little longer as I drop single kernels when needed using a Dandy Tricker. As my wife shoots most weeks I do that's 72 rounds per week so you tend to work on time to load as well as accuracy. Luckily Adams does both (for a price) :)

bruce moulds

#5 Postby bruce moulds » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:26 pm

their 308 ammo with swift scirocco looks interesting for deer and pig hunters.
this is a quality bullet with superior terminal performance.
the 168 gn sierra match ammo will let a lot of people down past 600 yds.
bruce.
"SUCH IS LIFE" Edward Kelly 11 nov 1880
http://youtu.be/YRaRCCZjdTM

RJNEILSEN

#6 Postby RJNEILSEN » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:00 pm

I guess if you find reloading a chore then you may consider the cost of your time. Personally I enjoy reloading. It is something to do with my sport when I am not doing my sport. Same as surfing the forums like this. At over $2 a pop for the outback stuff vs $1 each for my reloads (including brass depreciation), I can only imagine that I would buy it if I was too busy at work to have the time to reload.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”