SPECTACLES and EYESIGHT

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Cliff Austen

SPECTACLES and EYESIGHT

#1 Postby Cliff Austen » Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:34 pm

Spectacles and Eyesight

Equipment and Technical “tell me about your 7mm bullets”

Under the above heading, the subject of eyesight, spectacles and astigmatism has been raised.

Having suffered poor vision all my life (71 years) I can assure you that cheap glasses is not the way to go. I have undergone numerous corneal grafts, cataracts removed, retina detached and optic nerve damage on the left eye, which has left that eye with no vision.

Many of the high profile optical supplies who advertise ‘buy one get one free’, well you get what you pay for. I drive from Sydney to Nowra to an optometrist who really knows what he is doing. Currently, I have a new set of lenses being made costing $675 – lenses only. The lens for my shooting glasses was $136.

I use proper Knobloke Shooting Glasses. This enables me to adjust the height and angle of the lens to suite my shooting position. This makes sighting very easy.

I also suggest reading, in the Accurate Shooter web site (6brmm), Eye Protection For Shooters, Lens Color Choice – What Works Best. https://www.accurateshooter.com/technic ... -shooters/
Good Luck
Cheers Cliff

lonerider43

Re: SPECTACLES and EYESIGHT

#2 Postby lonerider43 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:35 pm

good stuff cliff,many of these eye wear companies really dont know their trade very well.
i havent had a set of distance glasses i could actually use and readers are hit and miss.
i have astigmatism and get ophthalmic migraines and cant see too good close up.
i m going to see an old time optometrist when i get to newcastle,with any luck he can sort me a shooting lense also.
Australian's Against "Gun-A-Phobia"

bruce moulds

#3 Postby bruce moulds » Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:33 pm

my optician does commonwealth games and Olympic shooters, and understands their requirements.
I like cliff, wear a Knoblock lens in its special frame when shooting irons.
I am glad Knoblock is not also a disease or a condition.
bruce.
"SUCH IS LIFE" Edward Kelly 11 nov 1880
http://youtu.be/YRaRCCZjdTM

GSells

#4 Postby GSells » Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:48 pm

Questioned moved from 7 mm bullets .

“pjifl wrote:
Technically, eyepiece and spectacles have no effect on Parallax. Parallax adjustment takes place in front of the Graticule. But any poorly corrected astigmatism usually results in reduced resolution across the target in one specific direction.

I am beginning to wonder if the progressive lenses becoming more common in spectacles these days could be a problem for scope users. I have no experience of them.

Hi Pete , this is getting of topic , but this happens ! Thank you for for comments , always appreciated.
I know with taking my glasses off I’ll shoot 1 moa higher as my astigmatism is in the vertical.

I’ve refocused the Reticule for my new glasses . But Pete is there a chance that a poorly focused reticule could cause errors in the plain of the correction for ones glasses ? In that trying to focus the reticule with the side focus knob can like fight against each other?

I’ll try again with a known load tomorrow at My home range in a fly shoot .

GSells

#5 Postby GSells » Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:55 pm

Just moving this over from 7 mm bullets thread . The question is can glasses cause vertical or sighting errors ? I have astigmatism .
B59719E8-1165-46A4-B2AC-CA5775D3087D.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

GSells

#6 Postby GSells » Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:21 pm

Ok , so on a very limited tested with a known load . I focused my reticule and I could see very clearly.
Unfortunately, due to a club member needing help I didn’t check the parellex. But it was very much focused so it was close . The group was good except for two flyers ( was shooting blind ) when the conditions change from a left wind to a boil . Thinking about it now I could see the boil was very unsettled or possibly like it was swirling! It wasn’t a normal boil. I should have waited 30 seconds or so and let the new condition stabilise.

Yes I know it’s a very limited sample. But I do not have the time or the resources to test with cross hair out of focus and then refocused . I guess we will have to try it out in real world conditions and prove it that way . But for now my new astigmatism glasses are sharp and they now work !
So not proven but a possibility of an error with glasses and a badly forced reticule.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”