To turn or not to turn

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Tim N

To turn or not to turn

#1 Postby Tim N » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:55 am

Neck turn I mean.
Do many of you just shoot the brass as is?
I’ve ordered a reasonable amount of saum brass and the efficient(read lazy) part of me doesn’t feel like neck turning.
Shoulder bump with a body die and Lee collet for neck tension- in that order I guess?
I will probably end up turning them but am interested if others have found no noticeable difference???
We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training. Archilochos 680-645 BC

wsftr

Re: To turn or not to turn

#2 Postby wsftr » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:02 am

Depends on who makes it. Lapua I don't turn it.
IMO if it measures consistent then you are turning it to make it thinner for some reason.
If you make it thinner how much neck clearance do you have? If you are increasing neck clearance by making it thinner you might need to anneal so you don't lose brass to neck splits.

KHGS

#3 Postby KHGS » Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:05 am

I avoid neckturning like the plague!!! I use a Lee collet die & shoulder bump with a body die when needed, at about 6 to 9 reloads. My cartridge is based on 30/06 cases with a 40 degree shoulder and std Ackley body taper. I have never annealed a case in my life & cannot remember when I last had a split neck. I am not suggesting what I do is the only, or best way to do things, but it works for me. I hate reloading so I do the bare minimum, with close to 60 years of reloading behind me I have worked out what is needed to achieve what I want, having said that I love to experiment and continue to do so, it is a never ending learning curve!!
Keith H.

Barossa_222

#4 Postby Barossa_222 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:16 am

I know people who do it and people who don't do it. I don't do it. I beat people shooting higher scores than those that turn. They beat me also. I don't think it makes a lick of difference. I have turned necks, the chamber made in necessary, I noticed no difference, just more work and mess. I just bought reamers to suit my brass. The saum is probably one of the exceptions, because mostly you have to neck cases down. If you've bought Norma saum cases, I wouldn't be turning.

Tim N

#5 Postby Tim N » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:23 pm

wsftr wrote:Depends on who makes it. Lapua I don't turn it.
IMO if it measures consistent then you are turning it to make it thinner for some reason.
If you make it thinner how much neck clearance do you have? If you are increasing neck clearance by making it thinner you might need to anneal so you don't lose brass to neck splits.

I will need to chamber some new barrels soon and I can order them finished with a turn or no turn reamer.
New brass on the way so a decision to be made.
Seems a lot of the top shooters neck turn but I’m not sure if it’s because most the other top shooters do?
We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training. Archilochos 680-645 BC

wsftr

#6 Postby wsftr » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:37 pm

can you turn it any more precisely than what it comes as new?
Do you turn brass now - if not are you happy with the precision...if not what is the likely hood that turned necks would make a difference.
Personally under Fclass conditions with quality brass I haven't been able to establish the value of turning brass having tried both ways.

Tim N

#7 Postby Tim N » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:59 pm

I do turn brass now and I’m very happy with the precision
When I neck turn it is in one pass - some take a couple of passes
2016 was the last saum neck turning for me
They do last a long time

Julian D

#8 Postby Julian D » Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:02 pm

I never turned my saum brass Tim, and I got some pretty good scores with it.

KHGS

#9 Postby KHGS » Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:40 pm

Neck turning for F-Class is all about "headspace"!!! :) :) :) :) :)
Keith H.

bruce moulds

#10 Postby bruce moulds » Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:41 pm

yes but keith, that can be a very real thing!
bruce.
"SUCH IS LIFE" Edward Kelly 11 nov 1880
http://youtu.be/YRaRCCZjdTM

Rich4

#11 Postby Rich4 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:02 pm

KHGS wrote:Neck turning for F-Class is all about "headspace"!!! :) :) :) :) :)
Keith H.

:lol: lmao so so true of many things in this sport

Tim L

#12 Postby Tim L » Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:47 pm

KHGS wrote:I avoid neckturning like the plague!!! I use a Lee collet die & shoulder bump with a body die when needed, at about 6 to 9 reloads. My cartridge is based on 30/06 cases with a 40 degree shoulder and std Ackley body taper. I have never annealed a case in my life & cannot remember when I last had a split neck. I am not suggesting what I do is the only, or best way to do things, but it works for me. I hate reloading so I do the bare minimum, with close to 60 years of reloading behind me I have worked out what is needed to achieve what I want, having said that I love to experiment and continue to do so, it is a never ending learning curve!!
Keith H.

Where do you get your collet dies for the saum from? It is a custom from Lee?

KHGS

#13 Postby KHGS » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:06 pm

Tim L wrote:
KHGS wrote:I avoid neckturning like the plague!!! I use a Lee collet die & shoulder bump with a body die when needed, at about 6 to 9 reloads. My cartridge is based on 30/06 cases with a 40 degree shoulder and std Ackley body taper. I have never annealed a case in my life & cannot remember when I last had a split neck. I am not suggesting what I do is the only, or best way to do things, but it works for me. I hate reloading so I do the bare minimum, with close to 60 years of reloading behind me I have worked out what is needed to achieve what I want, having said that I love to experiment and continue to do so, it is a never ending learning curve!!
Keith H.

Where do you get your collet dies for the saum from? It is a custom from Lee?

See above, I do not shoot a Saum, so I can't say about a collet die for Saum, I guess it would be a custom unit though.
Keith H.

Tim L

#14 Postby Tim L » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:12 pm

Thanks Keith.
I was just reading a chat on accurate shooter that a 300 wsm body with a 7mm 08 mandrel works,,,, (both available in Aus)

Think i might just send a couple of cases to Lee though.

Tim N

#15 Postby Tim N » Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:45 pm

So what is Tim L doing with a saum??

Return to “Equipment & Technical”