Barnard barrel

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

scott/r

Barnard barrel

#1 Postby scott/r » Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:06 pm

Here's one for the gunsmiths here. I was asked on the weekend if you can get prefitted barrels for barnard model p? As in, can you get a new barrel chambered and threaded for a barnard without having the action and bolt present?
I must admit I had to answer that I didn't know, but I would ask.
Scott.

Matt P

Re: Barnard barrel

#2 Postby Matt P » Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:23 pm

Yes any action can be “prefitted”. Do. I recommend it, yes and no. Customers that I have had their action here and have the required measurements written down (not always the case), I will supply a “prefit” but action I haven’t had, I prefer not to.
Matt P

scott/r

#3 Postby scott/r » Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:29 pm

Matt P wrote:Yes any action can be “prefitted”. Do. I recommend it, yes and no. Customers that I have had their action here and have the required measurements written down (not always the case), I will supply a “prefit” but action I haven’t had, I prefer not to.
Matt P

Matt, would you be able to get the required measurements from a barrel that has been fitted to an action, for that action?
Scott.

KHGS

#4 Postby KHGS » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:04 pm

scott/r wrote:
Matt P wrote:Yes any action can be “prefitted”. Do. I recommend it, yes and no. Customers that I have had their action here and have the required measurements written down (not always the case), I will supply a “prefit” but action I haven’t had, I prefer not to.
Matt P

Matt, would you be able to get the required measurements from a barrel that has been fitted to an action, for that action?
Scott.

Like Matt I can and have provided prefit barrels for Barnards, but only if I have the stub (cut off in front of the chamber) from an old barrel that I have fitted before.
Keith H.

Pommy Chris

#5 Postby Pommy Chris » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:43 am

Maybe I have been lucky or maybe newer Barnard are more accurate, but between Betta and myself we have four Barnard actions and all barrels are interchangeable and head space difference between them is only about a thou or less ie brass from Betta can be used with my actions and my bolt the other way round. So for all intents and purposes my 4 actions are identical. They were all bought at different times too, oldest is 2014.
Chris

KHGS

#6 Postby KHGS » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:32 am

Pommy Chris wrote:Maybe I have been lucky or maybe newer Barnard are more accurate, but between Betta and myself we have four Barnard actions and all barrels are interchangeable and head space difference between them is only about a thou or less ie brass from Betta can be used with my actions and my bolt the other way round. So for all intents and purposes my 4 actions are identical. They were all bought at different times too, oldest is 2014.
Chris

In my experience this is pretty much the case with Barnard actions from 2004. I once did 18 Barnard barrel fits in a row for a school in Sydney (all consecutive serial numbers). I fitted all barrels to one action then screwed them into their respective receivers, only two of the barrels needed a .002" headspace adjustment. Whilst this is not unusual it should not be taken for granted, I assure you no gunsmith worth his salt would take this for granted, so I reinforce what Matt & I have already stated in the previous posts above.
Keith H.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”