Shooting mat options

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Chrisjan

Shooting mat options

#1 Postby Chrisjan » Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:55 am

Hi Guys,

I am using a shooting mat with a thin board stitched in under the rear bag.
It is comfortable and works good so far. But i noticed that moving my body moves the crosshairs without touching the rifle.

I was hoping the bigger footprint will be beneficial, but obviously not. I noticed many guys shoots with a mat that has a cutout for the rear bag. But keep in mind we shoot off crusher sone/gravel and it tends to for sort of ball bearings under the rear bag. It doesn't settle immediately.

What is your advise?

ben_g

Re: Shooting mat options

#2 Postby ben_g » Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:37 am

Don’t put your bag on top of the mat. You 100% need a cutout so your rear bag is directly on the ground. If you have uneven or loose ground under your bag a steel plate, or plate with spikes could be used then put your rear bag on top of that.

Barry Davies

#3 Postby Barry Davies » Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:33 am

A thin ( about 1" ) sandbag, not packed to tight, placed on the stones beneath your rabbit ears bag does the job nicely.
Takes up discrepancies in the stones and the underside of your rabbit ears.
Definitely a cut-out in your shooting mat is needed.

UL1700

#4 Postby UL1700 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:19 pm

ben_g wrote:or plate with spikes could be used then put your rear bag on top of that.

I believe that Australia is the oddball in allowing rear spikes, the rest of the world doesn't! I have moved away from spiked plates and now use a SEB Doughnut Stabilizing Bag under my Bigfoot. this works well as it both takes the inherent bow out of the bottom of the bigfoot, conforms to and levels the ground, and the leather used is surprisingly non-slip. I have used it on concrete, gravel, carpet and astroturf and have been happy with the result on all. My only issue has been that they are hard to keep the sand in without modification to the closing flap and the seams are a tad fragile #-o
Last edited by UL1700 on Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Keels

#5 Postby Keels » Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:37 pm

UL1700 wrote:
ben_g wrote:or plate with spikes could be used then put your rear bag on top of that.

I believe that Australia is the oddball in allowing rear spikes, the rest of the work doesn't! I have moved away from spiked plates and now use a SEB Doughnut Stabilizing Bag under my Bigfoot. this works well as it both takes the inherent bow out of the bottom of the bigfoot, conforms to and levels the ground, and the leather used is surprisingly non-slip. I have used it on concrete, gravel, carpet and astroturf and have been happy with the result on all. My only issue has been that they are hard to keep the sand in without modification to the closing flap and the seams are a tad fragile #-o

Do you fill it full ?

UL1700

#6 Postby UL1700 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:23 am

Keels wrote:Do you fill it full ?

To start with :oops: but have been working on finding a happy medium unfortunaly work is seroiusly getting in the way of shooting!

Chrisjan

#7 Postby Chrisjan » Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:02 am

Thank you for the kind replies.

I will modify my mat and give some feedback when tested.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”