Ammo storage in the tropics

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

fclass556

Ammo storage in the tropics

#1 Postby fclass556 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:20 pm

Since moving to sunny Qld, oil has become my firearms best friend. The same can’t be said for leather / cloth accessories and powder / primers etc. The last month in particular with heat and lots of rain, damp and mould are constant companions in most households up here with very high humidity. Just wondering how others store their powder, primers and loaded ammo during the summer months in particular. I don’t use desiccant as that actually draws moisture into your gun safe and then gives of vapours. I’ve read where others advocate heating rods. However my way of thinking is it just warms the air it wouldn’t get rid of the moisture? Anyone’s 20 cents worth would be appreciated. Cheers, Andy.
'AIM TWICE .. SHOOT ONCE "

scott/r

Re: Ammo storage in the tropics

#2 Postby scott/r » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:40 pm

I've just spray glued some 3mm cork matting, that commercial tilers use as underlay/sound deadener, all around the inside of the walls of the safe. Worked a treat as an insulation so I don't have to do anything else. Surprised the shit out of me how well it worked actually.
Scott.

Old Trev-39

#3 Postby Old Trev-39 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:56 pm

I have lived in Cairns since 1942. Been shooting since I was about 15. Started target shooting 1993. I store my powder, primers and loaded ammo in a locked timber cupboard in my gun room. Have had loaded ammo stored for about 5 years and have had no problems. Keeping firearms wiped with a lanolin impregnated cloth keeps mould ect. at bay.
Cheers,
Trevor.

Rich4

#4 Postby Rich4 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:01 am

On a side note, I have found lanolin excellent for keeping mud wasps away :evil:

Tim L

#5 Postby Tim L » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:18 pm

Living in Ayr which always seems to be at the upper end of 30 with 70% + humidity.
Powder and primers are kept in an old fridge, probaly not much different from Trevs wooden cupboard. Powder deos not like sudden temp changes, Cool to warm with cause condensation even inside the bottle. Keeping temp changes slow is rumoured to prolong powder life. Primers? I reckon the little buggers are indestructible, they just live with the powder for convenience.
Guns and bolts all get a wipe with something heavier than WD40. Lanolin, GR10 or any of the spray on gun lube/protectors seem to work.
Barrels that I'm not using get a good dousing with the same with a squirt down the bore and stored in cardboard tubes. Caps are a must or wasps are in like Flynn

Return to “Equipment & Technical”