7mm SAUM slow node.

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

RDavies

Re: 7mm SAUM slow node.

#16 Postby RDavies » Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:11 pm

I fired all my SAUM brass first shot with 180VLDs jammed at around 53.5gns old 2209 for around 2820- 2830 fps, so 284 velocities. I could get it nice and accurate, but the ES/SD was not as good as a full power load, but this wasn't an issue out to 800yds where it would still stay on the X ring. I found backing it off 120-130fps from your full power load would bring me back into the next node.

John T

Re: 7mm SAUM slow node.

#17 Postby John T » Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:57 am

Hello ben.

Allow me some miscellaneous quotes from http://www.shootingsoftware.com/loadens about LOAD density.

"The percent of the available powder space under the bullet, filled with (the load of) powder, is called the "load density".

"A powder charge that completely fills the space under the bullet is often more accurate."

"..filling the case completely (to the bullet base) may hold the point of peak pressure nearer the chamber for a complete burn..and better accuracy. This is why some reloaders prefer slight compression loads."

Ben, you want to fire-form cases in conjunction with running in a new barrel. Some say that a barrel does not "settle" inside 300 rounds. Many will dispute that. In any event, a barrel should be "run in" after 10 shots. Never waste a new barrel on fire-forming.

You have a new barrel because you have finally retired your old favourite "Harry". Screw in the Harry and have some fun. After all, you know it is a good, but tired barrel. Good enough for Saturday and the occasional PM. Take, say, 280 off your new barrel and you may miss the best 280 of its life.

Let's say you go with good old Harry. You can down load and blasé away at about 50 a time until your brass is formed. Believe me when I say that some shooters PAY others to do this.

Bit tired, talk later.

Regards,
John Tracey.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”