Labradar Tolerance of Obstructions

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Rich4

Re: Labradar Tolerance of Obstructions

#46 Postby Rich4 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:13 am

=D> Great read and great to see you back, thanks for the contribution

Rich4

#47 Postby Rich4 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:19 am

Gyro wrote:I have a mates Labradar to borrow and I believe every time I do I end up wanting to throw a brick at it !!!!!! I would not be surprised if I'm a big part of the problems I have with it but despite that I just don't trust it now. Anyway, the last time I borrowed it was to get a load with an FTR gun with the 200.20x boolits, just so I could get on the paper at 1000 yards at a shoot I was aiming to go to. And sure enough the bloody LR did not register all shots but it provided enough info to get me on the paper at 1000 yards when I got to the shoot.

So off I went to the 1000 yard shoot and my group had massive vertical !!! The reason I am convinced was because the SMT system ( electronic scoring system ) was not set up properly.

I think what is happening in todays world where we have so many 'distractions' is that the proper time, both mental and physical, is not being given to properly understand and manage these devices ?????

As in machining the way tools are used matters far more than their apparent quality, most jigs I’ve worked with looked terrible, but used consistently produced quality results, set up matters to ensure quality results, magspeeds I think work better with tape securing them as the strap I’m sure is made of lubricated Teflon #-o

Pommy Chris

#48 Postby Pommy Chris » Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:24 am

jasmay wrote:Chris, you should definitely be shooting BR with groups like that, you would actually have a your very own gold medal and record.

Jas, what can I say it is 4 shots and 200, I have others like it and shot with people there. I might have the targets for my 1 in 9 tests from just before the range closed, not quite as good as very mirage conditions with wind as shots were done at 11am, but still compatible considering the time of day. I have no interest in BR, just like testing new barrels and stuff on a Saturday.
Off topic IMO the 210vld are very accurate in the shots and longs too, but I have some similar one hole test groups for 200 yards with my Hardy barrels again 210vld.
Chris

Pommy Chris

#49 Postby Pommy Chris » Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:34 am

jasmay wrote:Chris, you should definitely be shooting BR with groups like that, you would actually have a your very own gold medal and record.

Jason,
I found one of the tests I did with the 1 in 9 recently at 200, I think I sent pics to Tim also.
two groups one is 6 shots with 46 grains and the other is 4 shots with 46.6. After more testing I settled on 46.7 but I have not found those tests yet.
These are just average Saturday testing.
Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Pommy Chris

#50 Postby Pommy Chris » Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:38 am

Rich4 wrote:
Gyro wrote:I have a mates Labradar to borrow and I believe every time I do I end up wanting to throw a brick at it !!!!!! I would not be surprised if I'm a big part of the problems I have with it but despite that I just don't trust it now. Anyway, the last time I borrowed it was to get a load with an FTR gun with the 200.20x boolits, just so I could get on the paper at 1000 yards at a shoot I was aiming to go to. And sure enough the bloody LR did not register all shots but it provided enough info to get me on the paper at 1000 yards when I got to the shoot.

So off I went to the 1000 yard shoot and my group had massive vertical !!! The reason I am convinced was because the SMT system ( electronic scoring system ) was not set up properly.

I think what is happening in todays world where we have so many 'distractions' is that the proper time, both mental and physical, is not being given to properly understand and manage these devices ?????

As in machining the way tools are used matters far more than their apparent quality, most jigs I’ve worked with looked terrible, but used consistently produced quality results, set up matters to ensure quality results, magspeeds I think work better with tape securing them as the strap I’m sure is made of lubricated Teflon #-o

I dont think the flat base stand helps the lab as it moves way too much, you see the lab move heaps each shot, this cant be good. I have seen people using small tripods too but they can be too high, but much more stable.
Chris

Rich4

#51 Postby Rich4 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:59 am

Pommy Chris wrote:

Jason,
I found one of the tests I did with the 1 in 9 recently at 200, I think I sent pics to Tim also.
two groups one is 6 shots with 46 grains and the other is 4 shots with 46.6. After more testing I settled on 46.7 but I have not found those tests yet.
Chris

That’s more what I’m used to seeing, are you sure your not Scottish? My heritage is and I’ll still waste a full patch for an aim point :lol:

Pommy Chris

#52 Postby Pommy Chris » Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:17 am

Rich4 wrote:
Pommy Chris wrote:

Jason,
Chris

That’s more what I’m used to seeing, are you sure your not Scottish? My heritage is and I’ll still waste a full patch for an aim point :lol:

The small patch is easier to aim at exactly the same place :D
They had run out of small patches.
Chris

AlanF

#53 Postby AlanF » Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:37 am

williada wrote:...To conclude, 100 yards is a good distance to teach the approximate value of MOA i.e. 1” = 1 MOA...

:lol: :lol:

When I give advice to new shooters, it usually includes a recommendation to not just take my (or anyone's) advice at face value. Ask around, and opinions will vary. Thank you for providing yours :D .

Pommy Chris

#54 Postby Pommy Chris » Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:51 am

AlanF wrote:
williada wrote:...To conclude, 100 yards is a good distance to teach the approximate value of MOA i.e. 1” = 1 MOA...

:lol: :lol:

When I give advice to new shooters, it usually includes a recommendation to not just take my (or anyone's) advice at face value. Ask around, and opinions will vary. Thank you for providing yours :) .

There is no right or wrong way to do any of this, just what works for you. For me I can see the slightly better loads easier at 200. If I get time later I will dig out my test targets from my Hardy barrel. I did this test again and again and same conclusion two very good loads one was slightly better, that one one compared to not quite. Jason does his at 25, so does Shane, Tim at 200 and Don at 100, Don shoots amazingly recently so working for him. I know though I could not determine the best groups at 100 as easily.
I remember Mick Wood my departed friend from Ravenshoe club. Mick used to love testing I think more than the club shoots or comps. I often went to the range to test with Mick so he could test at the end of the day when it was quiet and less wind. Later on he tested at 200, but in the early days he tested at 300 and with 5 shots. I dont have a pic of it, but many saw the target, best 300 group I ever saw a large 30 cal hole amazing.
I still miss Mick..
Anyway..
It is kind of funny sometimes listening to shooters talking about the "new thing" sometimes sounds like they are reinventing ballistics. Truth is it has all been done before, often many times even 100 years ago. FTR reamers for example are far from new similar was done with large artillery during the war. The gain twist whatever it has all been done before.
Chris

Pommy Chris

#55 Postby Pommy Chris » Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:28 am

I could not find the Hardy tests, I probably binned them, I only keep reference targets normally for a little while after just in case I want to retest I can see what loads did.
Anyway here are a bunch of tests all done at 200, you can see why I do at 200, some loads are hard to pick the best. Some one hole others are close.
separating at 100 would be much harder.
Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

AlanF

#56 Postby AlanF » Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:44 pm

Fired a few shots on the 100yd range with the Labradar and all good. Jason suggested dropping the measurement distances down to make it more tolerant of the reflective surfaces close to the path so I made them 1 to 5 yards, and also put the power setting on low. FWIW here are the velocities, the last 3 in tandem with the Magnetospeed. This was 180 Hybrids in my 7 Shehane.

LR 2863
LR 2859
LR 2859 MS 2857
LR 2863 MS 2856
LR 2866 MS 2864

And no there was no target, just into the dirt, but I reckon it might have been 5 one-holers....

Pommy Chris

#57 Postby Pommy Chris » Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:01 pm

AlanF wrote:Fired a few shots on the 100yd range with the Labradar and all good. Jason suggested dropping the measurement distances down to make it more tolerant of the reflective surfaces close to the path so I made them 1 to 5 yards, and also put the power setting on low. FWIW here are the velocities, the last 3 in tandem with the Magnetospeed. This was 180 Hybrids in my 7 Shehane.

LR 2863
LR 2859
LR 2859 MS 2857
LR 2863 MS 2856
LR 2866 MS 2864

And no there was no target, just into the dirt, but I reckon it might have been 5 one-holers....

That is something I am going to try, as dont really care what the velocity is down range just when it leaves. Those numbers look really good, no odd shots which I often see with the Lab and not the Magneto so I will try for sure.
Chris

Azzopardi

#58 Postby Azzopardi » Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:26 pm

Chris,
Some years ago (back in the 90s) an algorithm was developed by those who cannot be named. Some of it looked like this {^~.....A/... :D :twisted: =D> :arrow: :twisted: ....a+..b}xX/...y.

After much deliberation and scratching of the noggin, I asked the well known world class shooter and registered gunsmith, “is there a shorter equation to the algorithm that Stephen Hawkins is not required to work it out.

He retorted, “S-W-A-G theory”. Now I was in a state of flux because of the more simpler algorithm seemed so much more complicated. I (being a simple folk that consumes only meed and beer) asked the wizard, “what does swag stand for”.

He looked at me with those black eyes of death and said, “it stands for, Scientific Wild Arse Guess. Learn to read wind my young apprentice and you will master the complexities of nature”.

Now Covid-19 has bugged this up, I’ll put down the Meed and Beer due and get stuck into SWAG.
Regards,
Azzo

Malcolm Hill

#59 Postby Malcolm Hill » Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:46 pm

Chris. You mention issues with the flat base of the Labradar causing it to wobble at times. I never liked the set up for use on our uneven mounds so never considered it when i bought mine. I have made up a tripod which has 2 height settings and a wide footprint and dismantles for compact storage. It is very stable even in gusty wind and sits well on any mound slope or surface. The legs screw into the centre boss at either of two angles to give the different heights (could make it 3 but found 2 is ample for doing F class or fullbore rifles). Legs are around 200mm long for reference. It has a ball socket for any way adjustment of the unit and a quick detach plate to connect to the Labradar. Will try to attach photos showing the setup and how it all packs away nicely in a case. Have made a few of these up for mates and they are very happy with the setup. Regards Malcolm.

Pommy Chris

#60 Postby Pommy Chris » Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:58 pm

Malcolm Hill wrote:Chris. You mention issues with the flat base of the Labradar causing it to wobble at times. I never liked the set up for use on our uneven mounds so never considered it when i bought mine. I have made up a tripod which has 2 height settings and a wide footprint and dismantles for compact storage. It is very stable even in gusty wind and sits well on any mound slope or surface. The legs screw into the centre boss at either of two angles to give the different heights (could make it 3 but found 2 is ample for doing F class or fullbore rifles). Legs are around 200mm long for reference. It has a ball socket for any way adjustment of the unit and a quick detach plate to connect to the Labradar. Will try to attach photos showing the setup and how it all packs away nicely in a case. Have made a few of these up for mates and they are very happy with the setup. Regards Malcolm.

Thanks Mal that looks way better, only issue is might be high for FTR. That said a block under the plate for testing would fix that and this is when we test not shooting.
Chris

Return to “Equipment & Technical”