ES / SD reduction strategies

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

scott/r

Re: ES / SD reduction strategies

#16 Postby scott/r » Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:08 pm

Gyro wrote:
scott/r wrote:I have noticed a marked reduction in es and sd readings after changing over to palma brass with my t/r rifle. Granted, the small flash hole has reduced overall speeds, compared to the standard win brass and large flash hole. Both being Lapua brass. Through reading other people's opinions and my own experiences, I think the combination of the small flash hole and small primer go a long way to reducing es and sd figures.
With the neck tension subject, good consistent annealing also goes a long way to help.
Scott.

Litz did a heap of testing on annealing and it's effects on ES/SD and discovered the 'noise' was greater than any possible benefits. BUT since then the AMP guys have been a part of tests where the precision was marginally better with annealing. BTW my story here re the annealing tests is very shortened !!!!!!!

I believe in annealing after every firing. Perhaps it's about a better more consistent gas nk seal ? Better for reducing the generation of vibrations ? Better for more consistent ignition as the headspace is VERY likely more consistent ? Better just for my headspace ... ?

I read somewhere, it may have been Mr Litz, that good annealing helps primarily with consistent bullet release. Having bullet release at a consistent ish pressure would surely have to help with lowering es?
I reckon that it'd have to help with consistent resizing of your case neck and shoulder area as well.
Scott.

Pommy Chris

#17 Postby Pommy Chris » Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:14 pm

scott/r wrote:
Gyro wrote:
scott/r wrote:I have noticed a marked reduction in es and sd readings after changing over to palma brass with my t/r rifle. Granted, the small flash hole has reduced overall speeds, compared to the standard win brass and large flash hole. Both being Lapua brass. Through reading other people's opinions and my own experiences, I think the combination of the small flash hole and small primer go a long way to reducing es and sd figures.
With the neck tension subject, good consistent annealing also goes a long way to help.
Scott.

Litz did a heap of testing on annealing and it's effects on ES/SD and discovered the 'noise' was greater than any possible benefits. BUT since then the AMP guys have been a part of tests where the precision was marginally better with annealing. BTW my story here re the annealing tests is very shortened !!!!!!!

I believe in annealing after every firing. Perhaps it's about a better more consistent gas nk seal ? Better for reducing the generation of vibrations ? Better for more consistent ignition as the headspace is VERY likely more consistent ? Better just for my headspace ... ?

I read somewhere, it may have been Mr Litz, that good annealing helps primarily with consistent bullet release. Having bullet release at a consistent ish pressure would surely have to help with lowering es?
I reckon that it'd have to help with consistent resizing of your case neck and shoulder area as well.
Scott.

Only the neck is annealed. Look at a new case the bit a different colour is the annealed bit, the annealing must not go past neck. You will see a line past shoulder, but the neck is the different colour, this is what is made soft.
As I said on my other post, the projectile leaves the case before the powder is as primer is much more explosive than the powder so the projectile is already lodged into the lands when the powder explodes.
Chris

Gyro

#18 Postby Gyro » Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:21 pm

scott/r

#19 Postby scott/r » Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:24 pm

Yep, fully agree Chris. Whether it's the primer or powder, you still have bullet release and if you can get that at a more consistent pressure, then things have got to be better, surely.

williada

#20 Postby williada » Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:33 pm

Please lay it all out for us Gyro but tell us why and back it with evidence that has statistical significance so its not just an opinion or hearsay. Don't hide behind Litz because other ballistic experts have since revealed very minor issues in some of his work he has omitted. But admire Litz I do, because he has pushed the envelope out for discussion and brought attention to issues I had not fully considered. New knowledge is always valued. I note Litz put out a call for compensation studies some time back. Boatright who has more gongs explained his shortfalls in regards to twist rates for gyroscopic stability. Nobody is perfect, but gee, get it wrong in the eyes of the ignorant and you are trampled by the herd.

This game is about the optimization of competing forces for the edge. If you can't identify significant competing forces you are behind the 8 ball in elite competition, not club shooting. Trade offs and value judgement occur when you do discover them. Top shooters are entitled to keep the edges to themselves because it works for them. They are not necessarily ballistic experts or sufficiently articulate and may fear what they say may be ridiculed. Or those who think they are following procedures given by top shooters are not and become time wasters and tyre kickers because of their own bias, shortcuts or lack of communication skill rather than being genuine enquirers and learners. Top shots are often top team shots and don't want to break ranks of team strategy. That's about loyalty until you are accepted into the team or knowledge is general in nature. Wannabees not prepared to do the hard work may not be able to set goals, benchmarks and evaluate sequenced procedures expected by elite teams. That's not necessarily dumb but it is aimless and lacks an ability to plan and manage and becomes the weakest link. There is a big difference between good sense and common sense.

All power to you Chris because you are having a go and putting it out there in your quest to reveal what works for you. If we have never made a mistake, we have learned nothing. The goal for scientific minds is to keep observing and evaluating and testing for repeatability and it is not necessarily all about the competition but its a good feeling when it all comes together.

Pommy Chris

#21 Postby Pommy Chris » Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:35 pm

Gyro wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLG2kSrD40g

If you neck size with a 30 odd dollar Lee collet die your brass hardly grows. When you neck size with traditional neck sizer like Redding etc you roll the brass down to the base of the neckand then drag back and brass grows. With Lee, you close down onto a mandrel (no rolling and dragging and brass hardly grows. I dont even own a full length resizer, maybe every 10 times I might use a body die but never full length and dont need to.
Chris

Pommy Chris

#22 Postby Pommy Chris » Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:48 pm

williada wrote:Please lay it all out for us Gyro but tell us why and back it with evidence that has statistical significance so its not just an opinion or hearsay. Don't hide behind Litz because other ballistic experts have since revealed very minor issues in some of his work he has omitted. But admire Litz I do, because he has pushed the envelope out for discussion and brought attention to issues I had not fully considered. New knowledge is always valued. I note Litz put out a call for compensation studies some time back. Boatright who has more gongs explained his shortfalls in regards to twist rates for gyroscopic stability. Nobody is perfect, but gee, get it wrong in the eyes of the ignorant and you are trampled by the herd.

This game is about the optimization of competing forces for the edge. If you can't identify significant competing forces you are behind the 8 ball in elite competition, not club shooting. Trade offs and value judgement occur when you do discover them. Top shooters are entitled to keep the edges to themselves because it works for them. They are not necessarily ballistic experts or sufficiently articulate and may fear what they say may be ridiculed. Or those who think they are following procedures given by top shooters are not and become time wasters and tyre kickers because of their own bias, shortcuts or lack of communication skill rather than being genuine enquirers and learners. Top shots are often top team shots and don't want to break ranks of team strategy. That's about loyalty until you are accepted into the team or knowledge is general in nature. Wannabees not prepared to do the hard work may not be able to set goals, benchmarks and evaluate sequenced procedures expected by elite teams. That's not necessarily dumb but it is aimless and lacks an ability to plan and manage and becomes the weakest link. There is a big difference between good sense and common sense.

All power to you Chris because you are having a go and putting it out there in your quest to reveal what works for you. If we have never made a mistake, we have learned nothing. The goal for scientific minds is to keep observing and evaluating and testing for repeatability and it is not necessarily all about the competition but its a good feeling when it all comes together.

As I said before we all get into routines of what MUST be done. When I was in Canada at the worlds we hardly had time to load never mind anything else. Washing brass for example was out of the question, just no time. I shot my brass I took with me maybe 4 times as I was using my spare gun which was shooting better with the powder we could get. It was tacking too so I asked myself the question how important was this step to do every time that I had convinced myself was needed? Clearly not as much as I thought.
Next Mark (Chewy) borrowed my gun for 1,000 (mace cup). My cases were weight sorted in rows.. Chewy went ftom the middle row right across the box so each case was much heavier than the last. He smashed the X ring to bits..
I still weight sort but part of me questions how much it really matters, where is that weight? Is it really volume or is the weight elsewhere like base?
There is so much misinformation in our sport and real info too as we all get routines and maybe get a good result when we start something so we continue, but that may have just been coincidence.
Chris

Gyro

#23 Postby Gyro » Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:01 pm

williada wrote:Please lay it all out for us Gyro but tell us why and back it with evidence that has statistical significance so its not just an opinion or hearsay. Don't hide behind Litz because other ballistic experts have since revealed very minor issues in some of his work he has omitted. But admire Litz I do, because he has pushed the envelope out for discussion and brought attention to issues I had not fully considered. New knowledge is always valued. I note Litz put out a call for compensation studies some time back. Boatright who has more gongs explained his shortfalls in regards to twist rates for gyroscopic stability. Nobody is perfect, but gee, get it wrong in the eyes of the ignorant and you are trampled by the herd.

Seems I have touched a nerve. I like Litz because I can understand the way he writes.

I can not understand someone who uses technical jargon while placing multiple bets on multiple horses because it does my tiny 'scientific' head in. Regards Rob Kerridge.

GSells

#24 Postby GSells » Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:34 pm

Thank God ! Finally a solid subject in isolation! Even got the Guru commenting lol! Rich there is so much experience that have chimed in . So me adding anything would be a wasted time ! Sort of , all of the above ! Each rifle performs differently and the same .

Now all we need is to start up whether orings actually do something! :lol: :lol:

Pommy Chris

#25 Postby Pommy Chris » Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:06 pm

Gyro wrote:

Seems I have touched a nerve. I like Litz because I can understand the way he writes.

I can not understand someone who uses technical jargon while placing multiple bets on multiple horses because it does my tiny 'scientific' head in. Regards Rob Kerridge.

I have met Litz, he is a different bloke...
He knows his stuff, but as I keep saying non of us invented ballistics non of this secret stuff that goes around and around is new. Like I said on another thread the new ftr reamer with the gradual lead in comes from the war. Progressive twist is old as the hills, even moly or other lubes, go back to 303 days guys were dipping bullets in grease to achieve similar there was even a special bullet grease. Nothing is new..
Chris

williada

#26 Postby williada » Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:05 pm

It is technology that drives improvement and enhancement. If gaps in knowledge get filled its not a criticism of others or their personality - it’s a progression its not an each way bet because it has a factual basis. Observations sometimes discover or re-invent something that has been overlooked or could not be tested in the past that are game changers. Doppler radar has changed a lot of thinking about ballistics that has enabled us to test actual rifle system inputs more precisely. The target has certainly shrunk in the years I have been shooting.

It is the range of ideas that need to be encouraged to build knowledge. How that is expressed can be problematic for some and that goes both ways. That is why shooter experiences are so valuable on this forum rather than gaining persuasive power of the audience referring to other people’s work. If you validate other people’s work with your experience, and it is repeatable fair enough. Some don’t want to know how a microwave works, others do. Its horses for courses. Jargon becomes second nature if you have read widely and understand what is happening by experiencing it. Litz is better at it than others or me for sure, but an open and inquiring mind goes a long way too.

With regards to Moly and ES, dare I say it, it does not lubricate but actually increases friction in the bore. This IMO sits well with the fact we have to add more powder to the charge when using Moly to maintain velocity. On the other hand Hbn does reduce friction and can increase velocity marginally. Could it be then, that the Moly assists ignition and that's where a major benefit of its use could lie in the reduction of ES? Its application could assist when you are near the range energy limit when you want to fill the case more to improve powder density and yet not go over over the top with velocity. It certainly assist seating feel before firing.

With regards to case weight, it is a great discriminator when reasonably new. With progressive firings the distribution of weight and hardness may alter the volume of individual cases in a batch. Annealing of course only tackles the neck. In a pressure vessel it is really the volume and its density that is critical. The best way to ensure this is relatively constant is to sort cases by volume. A 50/50 mix of water and isopropanol reduces the meniscus on the water to enable better measurement.

The volume argument can be examined in Quick Load to explore the changes in pressure. It only takes a small amount of powder added to a case with reduced volume to see pressure change significantly. Annealing the case at the shoulder reduces headspace variability and therefore volume variability. Its affect can be explored in Quick Load. I use a full length die. Annealing certainly stabilizes neck tension but it also shrinks the brass so an expander iron must be used to relieve the neck junction with the shoulder and slightly work harden the brass.

pjifl

#27 Postby pjifl » Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:15 am

depth, now I’ve never tried adjusting neck sizing diameter to change tension, except unintentionally by skim turning necks in a factory chamber.
What do you feel is the largest return on investment for reducing ES ?
Neck tension adjustment?
Bullet pull?
Powder Charge?
Primer selection?
Case selection?
Headspace via Fls? Ie
not the one between my ears

I believe one must be more focused in that it depends somewhat on the distance and the number or shots in a string. Like 15 and 20 shot strings, especially beyond 700 y benefit more from finer tolerances. Most important is to never spend too much time on one factor and neglect another. BALANCE is essential. Best SD is always useful beyond a certain point but strive for balance.
Maybe I am going off on a tangent because low SD is only one factor in many.

Some things like powder charge and case consistency always matter but are not too hard to control - They are less important for the short and midrance shooter. Cartridge concentricity is another but a good seater is essential and usually solves that one.
Firstly, get the best cases you can. If reused many times, shoot then the same number of times.

Bullet pull and neck tension are more or less the same thing. I believe the most consistent neck tension goes hand in hand with quite low neck tension. Some lubrication may help with consistency. Annealing, in theory, may improve neck tensio but I doubt it is worth doing every shot and a good collet die - used on cases shot the same number of times - is a good substitute. Collet dies work the neck far less so they work harden less.

I have used both a carefully made custom FL die and cheap Lee Collet dies and I cannot really see much difference on the target. Cheap commercial FL dies are, however not a good idea. Have a policy of avoiding donuts at all costs and Lee is most useful in this regard - thus neck tension becomes more consistent.

I have watched with interest the use of moly but have never used it. I do not believe it improves accuracy and is an added complication. As someone mentioned, in other forms is as old as the hills going back 100 years. One 'molyed' each bullet individually by wiping it against the little finger immediately before chambering the cartridge. It may have other benefits but I consider them quite small. The modern craze for moly was really driven by commercial interests. I does not extend barrel life very much.

Primers - I would not know. But beware of inadequate testing that only reinforces myths.

What it eventually comes down to is learning to manage an accurate rifle in a balanced way and make good decisions when actually shooting.

Some barrels seem to thrive despite the worst attempts by shooters to mismanage their rifle.

And most lost matches are due to the nut behind the butt. A top rifle is useless in the wrong hands. Try to analyse your performance - this is very very hard to do.

Sorry - I have drifted away from SD. It does become more important at the longs where you cannot achieve sufficient compensation with a stiff barrel.

Peter Smith.

Rich4

#28 Postby Rich4 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:01 am

Thanks so much for the advice, I do believe very much in balancing all areas of performance thus the renewed interest in tightening ammunition, that being said for me it’s difficult to know where to focus? As I struggle to get away from the farm much to shoot I’m trying to isolate some areas to improve myself by isolating gun, rest and ammunition to diagnose, realising though they must work as a system, as I’d like to be competitive when I do get a chance, I can train on the farm although even that’s been rare lately, I’ve always liked the collet die’s especially in combination with a Forster seater and reading Vaughn I believe the marks left approximate the fluted neck he used, Williada your opinion on moly shocked me as I’ve always considered it a lubricant and zediker mentioned actually popping a bullet clean through a mollied barrel with only a primer? My interest in it is primarily for carbon control re Keith, although I have considered trialling hbn in the powder column however I need a baseline of experience in precision shooting for that, where do I find papers or books by James Boatright? thanks again I really appreciate the depth of knowledge shared here by amazing minds, =D> =D> =D>

Gyro

#29 Postby Gyro » Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:43 am

pjifl wrote:depth, now I’ve never tried adjusting neck sizing diameter to change tension, except unintentionally by skim turning necks in a factory chamber.
What do you feel is the largest return on investment for reducing ES ?
Neck tension adjustment?
Bullet pull?
Powder Charge?
Primer selection?
Case selection?
Headspace via Fls? Ie
not the one between my ears

I believe one must be more focused in that it depends somewhat on the distance and the number or shots in a string. Like 15 and 20 shot strings, especially beyond 700 y benefit more from finer tolerances. Most important is to never spend too much time on one factor and neglect another. BALANCE is essential. Best SD is always useful beyond a certain point but strive for balance.
Maybe I am going off on a tangent because low SD is only one factor in many.

Some things like powder charge and case consistency always matter but are not too hard to control - They are less important for the short and midrance shooter. Cartridge concentricity is another but a good seater is essential and usually solves that one.
Firstly, get the best cases you can. If reused many times, shoot then the same number of times.

Bullet pull and neck tension are more or less the same thing. I believe the most consistent neck tension goes hand in hand with quite low neck tension. Some lubrication may help with consistency. Annealing, in theory, may improve neck tensio but I doubt it is worth doing every shot and a good collet die - used on cases shot the same number of times - is a good substitute. Collet dies work the neck far less so they work harden less.

I have used both a carefully made custom FL die and cheap Lee Collet dies and I cannot really see much difference on the target. Cheap commercial FL dies are, however not a good idea. Have a policy of avoiding donuts at all costs and Lee is most useful in this regard - thus neck tension becomes more consistent.

I have watched with interest the use of moly but have never used it. I do not believe it improves accuracy and is an added complication. As someone mentioned, in other forms is as old as the hills going back 100 years. One 'molyed' each bullet individually by wiping it against the little finger immediately before chambering the cartridge. It may have other benefits but I consider them quite small. The modern craze for moly was really driven by commercial interests. I does not extend barrel life very much.

Primers - I would not know. But beware of inadequate testing that only reinforces myths.

What it eventually comes down to is learning to manage an accurate rifle in a balanced way and make good decisions when actually shooting.

Some barrels seem to thrive despite the worst attempts by shooters to mismanage their rifle.

And most lost matches are due to the nut behind the butt. A top rifle is useless in the wrong hands. Try to analyse your performance - this is very very hard to do.

Sorry - I have drifted away from SD. It does become more important at the longs where you cannot achieve sufficient compensation with a stiff barrel.

Peter Smith.

Great post Peter. And as you say none of these things exist in isolation. Shooters are apt to get myopic about some stuff and not know what's actually affecting thier performance.

Where you say ... "inadequate testing that only reinforces myths" .... is absolutely true. Lots of myths and wivestales have persisted in this game for a very long time.

Just imagine someone wanted to get really serious about testing primers and thier effect on SD/ES. To do that test even half arsed would take a good deal of time and effort. You would need to first rule out the shooter, so a machine rest would be required. You would need to test each primer/powder combination at the same barrel fouling state. You would need to weigh/volume check the cases to be used ..... the list of controls required actually goes on and on.

Anyway Rich, have u checked your scales ? I checked my bloody old Ohaus 505 scales against a mates very expensive electronic scales. I just weighed out 5 powder charges and took them to his place and all my charges were within one kernel of his. So that's ticked that box. Mind u I have done a 'mod' to my Ohaus scales which has really helped. I shall get a pic up of that.

I suspect nk tension has very little effect on ES/SD only because annealing ( which CAN - and I believe should - do the shoulder too !!!!!!!! ) tests have shown no real gains for this.

I went to a shoot the other day ( the first one in over a year ) and watched an F Open guy set up his gear on the mound. He has been F shooting for about 15 years. He plonks down his very light low-inertia value front rest. Then he puts his matt down and sits his light steel plate on top of the mat. Then he sits his light poxy bouncy-mid-section rear bag on the plate and gets it all lined up. I really really wanted to say something !!! To help the guy. To help others over here shooting with dodgy gear or shooting with good gear and then not setting it up properly. I could go on and on but I'd end up with less mates than I already have hahahah. My dog loves me !

This forum is good because there is very little personal abuse type writing and that's important because we all have different backgrounds and moods and blah blah blah. Cheers Rob.

Rich4

#30 Postby Rich4 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:04 am

I have been trickling to weight on a gempro 250 which I have running on a large lead acid 6v to limit drift, not bad but still wanders a little, .02 -.04 occasionally, I just rezero as needed, like you gyro it was the old thread on stock design that brought me here and now I just need a few spare years to do all the testing and technique honing #-o , just trying to prioritise my time expenditure for maximum return, I’m a crossbred mechanic- machinist- cocky and I’ve found diagnostics skills to be the largest payoff in time returned over the years so I’m trying to apply that here and concentrate on whatever will give the largest payoff first, whether it’s gun handling, rest refining, ammunition or a large press to squeeze the demons out of my headspace problem that led me to thinking, I can do this #-o
And don’t even get me started on scopes #-o #-o #-o not even sure about my dog

Return to “Equipment & Technical”