Can case volume be inferred by its weight ?

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

UL1700

Re: Can case volume be inferred by its weight ?

#46 Postby UL1700 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:19 pm

AlanF wrote:Really? I didn't realise the drying was that quick. An unfortunate incident I had with a coffee proved that it is essential for them to be perfectly dry inside.

Yes with metho and heat, sunlight, food dehydrators, etc are much slower. I found the same thanks to being sucked by an 18 month old :oops: :lol:

PeteFox

Re: Can case volume be inferred by its weight ?

#47 Postby PeteFox » Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:40 am

I decided to revive this old post rather than starting a new one.
This is just for information, I don't have have one of these.

I still don't believe case weight measurement is a reliable way to batch cases and thereby infer case volume, there are just too many other possibilities for a change in weight that are not related to volume. Case rim thickness being an obvious one.

The holy grail would be to be able to actually measure case volume at any stage of the reloading process, even with new primers. That would necessitate it being a dry process.

Well a dry process has been developed by Bison Armory (USA)
https://bisonarmory.com/bison-armory-case-volume-gauge/
There a two Youtube links towards the bottom of the page to show how it works.

I think it solves the problem, even though it is not a direct volume measurement (it is using pressure transducers to measure a change in pressure when a known volume of air is pushed into a cartridge case; it calculates volume against a calibration). This is temperature sensitive so all measurement has to be done under the same conditions.

Keith Glasscock (a US Shooter) will have a review on his Youtube site soon,
https://youtube.com/channel/UCoXDt-qeFpLSEFf06E0yT7A
or sooner for Patreon supporters
Pete

Return to “Equipment & Technical”