Stock Job

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

littlebang556

Stock Job

#1 Postby littlebang556 » Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:02 am

I am looking for some timber that is readily available from most timber suppliers to make a rifle stock...of course I would prefer some cherry or black heart safrass or the like but any suggestions would be fine.
My current stock is Tassy Oak but is a bit of a dog to machine because of the loose grain.

I will be looking to make it in 3 laminate layers with an aluminium bedding block sandwiched between and glued with resorsinol.

Regards

Rob A

Chopper

#2 Postby Chopper » Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:38 pm

G,day a good piece of walnut is hard to beat,RESORSINOL ??

Billy308

#3 Postby Billy308 » Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:07 pm

Bill Heald makes a very nice looking stock, and will do the block bedding if needed. There are a few getting around SA including 3 in the state team. He is pretty prompt as well.
Will probably see him at Lower light this weekend for the SA queens.
Bill

littlebang556

Stock Job

#4 Postby littlebang556 » Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:18 pm

RESORSINOL is a glue that is a 2 part (liquid and powder) that stick like you know what to a blanket...used in the marine industry and needs large clamping pressure to work to it's fullest.

Walnut is a nice timber but is hard to find in a local store...they will order in but it would be nice to be able to hand pick.

As for getting someone else to make a stock for me is not an option as
1)Cost is a major factor as it is not affordable on a carers pension
2)I do like to have the satisfaction of doing things myself...probably bought on by the fact that I have limited funds...catch 22 one might say...but it's all fun.

Kind Regards

Rob A

#5 Postby Guest » Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:14 pm

Rob,
Check your PM.
Barry

RAVEN

#6 Postby RAVEN » Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:12 pm

try phoning a cabinet maker and ask were to source special timbers
there WOOD be a supplier in the west some where they will have all sorts of exotic timber they WOOD also give you advice to which timber WOOD be suitable and how to select something with a nice grain.
Cheers
RB :)

pjifl

#7 Postby pjifl » Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:41 am

I think that when it comes to glueing Al to timber, Epoxy is much better than Resorcinol.

Resorcinol is great for timber - but the glue thickness needs to be kept very thin. Epoxy has less shrinkage.

Timber. There is always layered plywood. Not as elegant to look at but makes a very stable stock.

Peter Smith.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”